VRL - First Half Results (2017) Discussion

Slick

Village Roadshow has posted results for 1H17 this morning, with the presentation to happen later this afternoon.

For those interested, the slides from the ASX are posted here.

So far my favourite bits are:

58a64eca0530a_ScreenShot2017-02-17at10_29_46am.thumb.jpg.12a646cd1c995cffd09baaea3d735ca7.jpg

(No one can tell it's a watermark if we flip the image ;) )

And of course the interesting font use for the new campaign:

58a64f0e7d5f0_ScreenShot2017-02-17at10_31_52am.thumb.jpg.bce137e433b789f9b5420d9248decff3.jpg

(EDIT: Oh hey 2000th post, go team.)

No mention of the new coaster in the half year results presentation, which seems odd to me given that the results are poor for the entire company (not just theme parks). Just a little 'new attraction coming soon'. You'd think they'd have wanted to instill some confidence in the market by shouting out "biggest attraction in the Southern Hemisphere". 

here's the relevant page of their presentation 

IMG_3809.PNG

They also need a better PR company to do their presentation slides. Some of the wording is terrible for an official released document. 

"Get into the action on the best of our rides" ??? 

"Importantly, Dreamworld is of course not a VTP park" ??

who wrote this?

Yeah it's clunky but it's also not a document that's intended for mainstream consumption. It gets across the point it needs to and serves as the backbone of the larger presentation and Q&A session for shareholders that has just wrapped up.

For that reason too there's no reason to go into great detail about what Movie World are building beyond what they said there and what they have already said. It's a FY18 attraction and has little bearing on the 2017 results beyond whatever role it plays in the membership/renewal pass campaign, which is far beyond the scope of this kind of meeting/presentation.

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's a FY18 attraction and has little bearing on the 2017 results beyond whatever role it plays in the membership/renewal pass campaign, which is far beyond the scope of this kind of meeting/presentation.

So was TopGolf (actually that's CY18 - so even further away than FY18), and that got two pictures and a nice little write up about it...

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Some of the wording is terrible for an official released document. 

"Get into the action on the best of our rides" ??? 

"Importantly, Dreamworld is of course not a VTP park" ??

The first line, I think, is to portray marketing taglines in the upcoming 'The Magic Can Be Yours Now' campaign. The second one did miss some commas but they did correctly say 'VRL' (not 'VTP') and like @Richard said, it quickly emphasises a key point in the presentation.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Seriously... you are pulling me up for putting VTP instead of VRL? (Considering we are talking about the theme park component of the results here...)

how does "magic can be yours now" relate in anyway to "get into the action on the best of our rides"?? (Are they admitting to having crap rides, so we should only get into the action on the best ones???) They are not familiar or linked at all.. if the tag lines are "action" "best" and "rides" then put them into a sentence that makes sense.. 

4 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Seriously... you are pulling me up for putting VTP instead of VRL?

Well you were complaining (and asking) about the 'wording' so given the only 'word' incorrect in the sentence you posted was 'VTP' - a 'misquote' of yours - I thought you were pointing out a mistake that did not exist. The only real error in the real sentence I could see was a lack of commas - a grammar mistake.

4 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

how does "magic can be yours now" relate in anyway to "get into the action on the best of our rides"?? (Are they admitting to having crap rides, so we should only get into the action on the best ones???)

It relates in that you can participate in both (rides & magic). In relation to the 2nd quote, I see what you mean now but no, they're not 'admitting' to having crap rides (though, if they were, it would not be the first time VRTP have done something similar :P). To be fair though, I don't really see how this marketing campaign is suppose to help with public confidence. Similar to what you just said, to me, it gives the impression 'Where was the magic before?'.

3 hours ago, TomiJ said:

@Jamberoo Fan Bro my man (or woman) stop with the nitpicking. There is no need for it. 

I don't nitpick - I knew he possibly meant 'Village Theme Parks' but in the quote, it was the only word that was incorrect & he was complaining (and asking) about the 'wording' so what else could I do but point it out?

You are all kinds of frustrating dude...

"wording" refers to the use of words in the forming of a sentence. I wasn't talking about spelling mistakes or an overlooked acronym. Before you go all Macquarie on me, that's not a dictionary definition, it's a laymans definition. 

And you do nitpick, incessantly.. 

Ugh. For what it's worth, I hadn't even noticed that Brad had posted VTP instead of VRL, and (like most here, I'm sure) I frankly don't bloody care, either. Can we please move on now? I was enjoying reading everyone's feedback on the 1H17 results until it all changed to be fussing over trivial crap ?

@Jamberoo Fan with all due respect, I know you mean well, but seriously dude.... maybe consider that biting your tongue may be the better option instead of potentially derailing a topic over something most people wouldn't care about? ?

11 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I don't nitpick

18 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

The first line, I think, is to portray marketing taglines in the upcoming 'The Magic Can Be Yours Now' campaign. The second one did miss some commas but they did correctly say 'VRL' (not 'VTP') and like @Richard said, it quickly emphasises a key point in the presentation.

Having these two quotes side-by-side makes it very hard to believe that first one.

Let mistakes be mistakes, please don't pull them apart every time one is made, no-one likes a nitpicker.

To me this shows the biggest issue regarding Village. They always see fit to blame others for their loses. They did it before in regards you movie piracy and now are doing it with their parks. Instead of admitting their wrongs they would rather try and distance themselves or attack. Instead they really should be focusing on themselves, so they should be fixing up their parksite d giving people a reason to go back. At the moment WnW Sydney has hardly changed since it opened and doesn't have the best staff and Sea world is only a fraction of its past. Sea World should be a park that people would play full price to go to, but as it sits the majority of people would onlyrics go if they went to WnW or MW. They should also be working with DW instead of trying to push them away. As this issue has not just been about DW the media also took aim at MW's ride "malfunctions", because of the media they are just as much a part of it as DW is. They should be working together to restore confidence in theme parks. 

22 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

"wording" refers to the use of words in the forming of a sentence. 

And you do nitpick, incessantly.. 

I know that is what 'wording' means but, to me, there was nothing wrong with the wording in that presentation quote you posted about so I pointed out the other mistakes I saw in that quote in case that was what you were referring to as "terrible wording".

And I don't.

12 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

@Jamberoo Fan with all due respect, I know you mean well, but seriously dude.... maybe consider that biting your tongue may be the better option instead of potentially derailing a topic over something most people wouldn't care about? ?

I do most of the time.

11 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Having these two quotes side-by-side makes it very hard to believe that first one.

Let mistakes be mistakes, please don't pull them apart every time one is made, no-one likes a nitpicker.

I don't pull a mistake apart every time one is made. I only posted the 2nd quote because I thought there was nothing wrong with the wording & just thought I'd mention that misquote just in case that was what @Brad2912 was complaining about.

But like what @Theme Park Girl said, can we move on?

17 hours ago, Cruiseshipfan said:

To me this shows the biggest issue regarding Village. They always see fit to blame others for their loses. They did it before in regards you movie piracy and now are doing it with their parks. Instead of admitting their wrongs they would rather try and distance themselves or attack. Instead they really should be focusing on themselves, so they should be fixing up their parksite d giving people a reason to go back. At the moment WnW Sydney has hardly changed since it opened and doesn't have the best staff and Sea world is only a fraction of its past. Sea World should be a park that people would play full price to go to, but as it sits the majority of people would onlyrics go if they went to WnW or MW. They should also be working with DW instead of trying to push them away. As this issue has not just been about DW the media also took aim at MW's ride "malfunctions", because of the media they are just as much a part of it as DW is. They should be working together to restore confidence in theme parks. 

I cannot agree with this more, despite identifying an issue with the Lego movie and piracy being linked with the films later release in Australia they are doing the same with Lego Batman. Having visited WNWS recently I was shocked to find no water fountains, something very simple and I'm sure something feedback would have been provided on early on, as a whole VRTP are not receptive to feedback.

Regarding Dreamworld I feel the same, as someone else mentioned on the forums it would have been great to see someone from VRTP at the reopening in a official capacity. This isn't new though, when the "Australia's Theme Park Capital" campign happend Dreamworld showed the posters prominently and staff wore badges. This was not the case at VRTP and I think I saw one single poster at MW.

I heard from an unreliable source that senior VRTP staff did visit Dreamworld quietly during their extended trade to see the expanded entertainment. If true I hope they observed the difference in operations and took some lessons back.

Edited by Jordan M.