$65m Actventure water park and eco resort to boost Sunshine Coast tourism

Brad2912

An epic $65 million tourist attraction and resort to rival theme parks on the Gold Coast has been greenlit in one of the areas hardest hit by job losses in Queensland.

THE pandemic has secured the future of the Sunshine Coast’s first major themed tourist attraction in more than three decades – a new $65 million water park and eco-resort expected to be finalised in coming weeks.

While jobs and investment are in turmoil due to the virus, the outbreak has provided a timely boost to the business case for the long-awaited project earmarked for a 14ha site at Glenview, 90km north of Brisbane.

Proponents told The Courier-Mail that an economic analysis predicting a trend of “cocooning” – or short stay domestic holidays – had given them the perfect platform to launch the attraction, first considered in 2014.
Actventure, featuring a host of free fall, raft and tube slides up to 14m high and 25 thrilling rides - some not seen before in Australia - will be the third-largest water park in the state after Wet’n’Wild and WhiteWater World.

Construction of the park and its integrated “multi-generational’’ tourism resort, called Invigorate, on Steve Irwin Way, is hoped to start later this year and it could be open by the end of 2022.

It is anticipated to attract more than 220,000 visitors and 50,000 room nights annually, as well as generate 300 construction jobs, 200 full-time equivalent positions once operational and $41 million per annum for the local economy.

It will be the Sunshine Coast’s first new major themed attraction in 31 years, with the history of Aussie World and Sea Life Mooloolaba dating back to 1989, the Big Kart Track to 1983 and the region’s biggest and most awarded gem, Australia Zoo, to 1970, when it was known as the Beerwah Reptile and Fauna Park.

Privately-owned development and investment company, Sanad Capital, which has strong ties to Dubai, is behind the project.

Sanad’s managing director, Bradley Sutherland, said he would work through the remaining conditions with council in the coming weeks and this would finalise the groundbreaking venture and allow it to get under way.

Mr Sutherland said the pandemic had made the attraction even more relevant and the time was right to advance it.

“The market demands this. The ongoing impacts of COVID-19 on domestic and international travel means we’re seeing a resurgence of support for local tourism, and the rising need to complement existing holiday offerings with exhilarating and refreshing experiences to fulfil the needs of Australian travellers and allow them to escape the ordinary.”

Mr Sutherland said Actventure’s family-oriented water park and Invigorate integrated tourism resort complex would offer 161 self-contained family-friendly one to three-bedroom villas (269 beds), local farm to table experiences, open-air cinema, sports club, water-based activities including stand-up paddle boarding and kayaking, plus the massive water park.

Visit Sunshine Coast CEO Simon Latchford said Actventure and its integrated Invigorate resort would be an excellent fit for the region.

“Now, more than ever because of the coronavirus, we need appropriate, high-profile attractions like these that complement our brand, which encompasses water, beaches, rivers and the amazing Glass House Mountains,’’ he said.

“We get development, and the need for growth, but must maintain our extraordinary landscape. Attractions can be created but have to fit with the brand like this does.”

Sunshine Coast Council’s planning spokesman James Ruprai said the Actventure water park proposal had a lengthy and complex development approval history dating back to 2015.

Mr Ruprai said that in December 2019, the applicant lodged a development application for a new Stage 1 comprising a resort complex (160 villas) and a revision to the tourist attraction (water park). That application was now under assessment by council officers.

The Courier-Mail understands the lengthy process is close to being finalised.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/business/65m-actventure-water-park-and-eco-resort-to-boost-sunshine-coast-tourism/news-story/513c71f7120170946f13a762c4bd3e7d

DC27DC29-280B-4E19-AADF-D7D6FEC1E4CE.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

This is really great news! The Sunshine Coast is screaming for this type of facility and I predict that it will do very well indeed once it is fully built and realised. Having holidayed on the Sunshine Coast earlier this year, having this type of attraction would complement the other 2 big attractions of the area - Aussie  World and Australia Zoo. This would certainly give Australians a huge boost in wanting to visit the area and having a viable alternative to the hustle and bustle of the Gold Coast for a different , more relaxed experience.

Looking at the plans, it seems a decent waterpark with a Lazy river complex that surrounds the park ( what a great idea- I am looking at you Wet 'N"Wild Sydney!!) other attractions such as an Octo Racer, Flatline Loop, Tube slides,  possibly a hydrocoaster and a Tornado installation. There is also a Double Fowrider, the obligatory kids slide complex , hot tubs and spa and a swim up bar.

image.thumb.png.85c96f6b7b45ff765a11e9cd995cf44e.png

This is the most exciting part of the whole complex and plan, for mine. This is to be a Australian first and the website states:

The approval comes as Sanad Capital announced it would enlist the skills of WhiteWater the global leader in waterpark design and manufacture to create Actventure, to deliver a state-of-the-art  Endless Surf pool for Stage 2 of the project. The first of its kind in Australia, Actventure’ s Endless Surf pool will harness WhiteWater’s proprietary design and technology to create every surfers dream, controllable powerful waves on command. Endless Surf delivers efficient reliable 2 to 7 foot waves every 10 seconds for every skill level, offering the most flexibility and variety on the market so the beginner and expert can surf simultaneously.

image.thumb.png.f4096f73937a4b4bb0d49e257c210906.png

It must be noted that this is incorporated into Stage 2 , so there is a bit of work to get through before this becomes a reality - but wow- it certainly looks like fun and something that will definitely drive high interest in the place as a massive point of difference from your run of the mill water park.

The Facts - Actventure Waterpark and Invigorate Resort Complex:

• 14-hectare integrated resort & leisure village project located on Steve Irwin Way, Sunshine Coast

• Stage 1 construction to commence as early as late 2020, and be completed by 2022

• 300 direct and indirect construction jobs

• Estimated $41 million direct and indirect value-added effect through construction

• 85,000 additional overnight visitors to the Sunshine Coast once operational

• $24 million in additional visitor expenditure generated annually

• Stage 1 to include Australia’s biggest waterpark positioned next to a resort complex

• Stage 2 another 11hectares to include Actventure 2.0 plus first of its kind Endless Surf pool by industry leader WhiteWater

More power to them and after years of stagnation and promises, lets all hope that this moves along quite quickly- they have stated that work could begin as early as late 2020. This is the shot in the arm that the region needs and its hopefully a very bright spot in anotherwise terrible year for announcements.

• Like 1

Looks like the slides will include:

A red orbiter https://www.whitewaterwest.com/en/products/water-slides/icons/orbiter/

Manta with Constrictor elements https://www.whitewaterwest.com/en/products/water-slides/icons/manta/

Mat Blaster https://www.whitewaterwest.com/en/products/water-slides/competition/mat-blaster/

A couple of body slides and the play structure too.

Looks good, but when you get down to it, it's about the same size as Gumbuyas water park in the first stage, surf pool excluded.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

This is really great news! The Sunshine Coast is screaming for this type of facility and I predict that it will do very well indeed once it is fully built and realised. Having holidayed on the Sunshine Coast earlier this year, having this type of attraction would complement the other 2 big attractions of the area - Aussie  World and Australia Zoo. This would certainly give Australians a huge boost in wanting to visit the area and having a viable alternative to the hustle and bustle of the Gold Coast for a different , more relaxed experience.

Looking at the plans, it seems a decent waterpark with a Lazy river complex that surrounds the park ( what a great idea- I am looking at you Wet 'N"Wild Sydney!!) other attractions such as an Octo Racer, Flatline Loop, Tube slides,  possibly a hydrocoaster and a Tornado installation. There is also a Double Fowrider, the obligatory kids slide complex , hot tubs and spa and a swim up bar.

image.thumb.png.85c96f6b7b45ff765a11e9cd995cf44e.png

This is the most exciting part of the whole complex and plan, for mine. This is to be a Australian first and the website states:

image.thumb.png.f4096f73937a4b4bb0d49e257c210906.png

It must be noted that this is incorporated into Stage 2 , so there is a bit of work to get through before this becomes a reality - but wow- it certainly looks like fun and something that will definitely drive high interest in the place as a massive point of difference from your run of the mill water park.

More power to them and after years of stagnation and promises, lets all hope that this moves along quite quickly- they have stated that work could begin as early as late 2020. This is the shot in the arm that the region needs and its hopefully a very bright spot in anotherwise terrible year for announcements.

Thanks so much guys. I always check Parkz and I am so happy to finally be a part of it. This is big news. Finally, a big theme park for the Sunshine Coast.

24 minutes ago, westical said:

Given the number of false starts this project has had, I’ll be impressed if any construction happens this year. Or next. 

I know you are doubting it and in all fairness, I would be too but this has been approved on all levels ( except federal but this is not involving them ). The site has already been purchased, the locals have no worries and Sanad is obviously committed. 

12 hours ago, Smol bean said:

The wave pool will definitely drive a lot of media coverage so that’s good for people outside of Queensland to come down

12 hours ago, Ranger said:

#actionpark

I thought it said drown 

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

if only they'd reconsider the horrible name.

Yeah, it they put as much time and effort into the name as getting off the ground, they could have a good name

• 5 months later...

Just a small update on this one.

The land has been mowed for the first time in a very very long time and all the signage has been taken down from the fences.

I'll be back up in the area around the 26th but probably not until after dark and maybe again on the 28th. I'll see what I can do. I can't remember if the watertank is still there or not either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

Just a small update on this one.

The land has been mowed for the first time in a very very long time and all the signage has been taken down from the fences.

I'll be back up in the area around the 26th but probably not until after dark and maybe again on the 28th. I'll see what I can do. I can't remember if the watertank is still there or not either.

What are they doing taking the signs down?

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Ranger said:

Has anyone heard anything about what's going on with this place?

Nothing from a source but I drove past last weekend. The watertanks on the site have been removed, the front half has been mowed, in front of the treeline and there are survey markers around the site. The white stakes with red tops.

• 1 month later...