Has luna park sydney pulled the plug on 2 classic rides

After many years the Moon ranger and The tumble bug seem to be on their way out as both rides have been removed from the parks rides list.

Both rides still remain on the park map but have a minus circle on them, they do say they are in maintenance but when you click see more it will say 'You are not authorised to access this page'

if this is true it will be a shame as tumble bug was one of my favourites growing up but yeah I thought I may as well bring this up after seeing this

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 6.52.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 6.53.48 pm.png

Edited by Coasterlife

LPS have been looking to get rid of Ranger for at least the last three years so its removal doesnt surprise me at all. Matter of fact, a couple of years ago they nearly sold it to a showman until the deal fell through at the 11th hour. Tumble Bug is the real surprise here as I thought it would be the last of the Huss flats to be pulled. Nonetheless, both rides are showing their age now having operated nearly continuously for 30+ years originally coming from expo, and 25 years of sea air hasn't treated them nicely.

I enjoyed these rides growing up too and have ridden them hundreds of times each, but it is a positive sign that the Park is removing these rides because this is part of their long term plan to update the park - LPS have been trying to get rid of their old Huss flats for the better part of a decade at this point.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Can confirm Ranger will not be returning in its ‘current form.’ Haven’t heard anything about the Troika, but from how it’s been running the last couple of years, I wouldn’t be surprised...

Interesting. Moon Ranger has been up for sale now for a number of years. The wording of that is interesting though. Will not return in its current form.....what does that mean? Is your source accurate and in the know or is this just speculation on behalf of the source?

I don't know if I'd  call these cheaply plonked carnival rides that were put in with the 'modern' Luna Park of the Arrow Big Dipper era classic.

If they look to remove the Rotor or Coney Island then we should all start getting angry.

• Like 1

Rangers days have been numbers for many years. It cant operate efficiently with a full gondola. Since the reopening of the park in 2004, it had several issues both electrical and mechanical. Sourcing parts has become harder over the years also. It is a real shame as its the only way you can view the harbour bridge upside down. I am sure it'll live on (in some ways ;) ) but its time as it currently looks it is definitely done.

Troika "Tumble Bug" has had a good run. its a great ride but it also has some dramas during its time. Mainly hydraulic and it's been evident during the last few years that major welding repair jobs have been conducted on the arm (near the rams). This ride has also suffered from a "shudder" during the lifting sequence since its reinstallation back in 2004. I am assuming this has also caused the mentioned repair jobs above.

Sizzler seems to be replacing the moon ranger for the holidays and the tumble bug is not on the updated map as well as the mystery manor haunted house so this may mean that mystery manor will not be back

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.11.14 pm.png

as of the 6 of July, it does seem that the haunted house has been removed 

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.27.31 pm.png

Edited by Coasterlife
additional info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coasterlife said:

Sizzler seems to be replacing the moon ranger for the holidays and the tumble bug is not on the updated map as well as the mystery manor haunted house so this may mean that mystery manor will not be back

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.11.14 pm.png

as of the 6 of July, it does seem that the haunted house has been removed 

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.27.31 pm.png

The haunted house was not present in late February. Makes me wonder how much longer the Breakdance has now.

Yeah the Mystery Manor has been confirmed as being permanently removed for a while now. Its removal is what started the speculation about a new attraction to replace it- couple that with the markings that were spotted in Maloney's Corner at the start of March and we can hopefully see some more expansion plans come to fruition!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coasterlife said:

Manor closed last year so its been gone for a while now. It was always meant to be a temporary attraction from the start however its stay was extended because of its popularity.

Unfortunately you can't just walk into the park at the moment and see what's going on these days. Ranger and Tumble Bug being deleted from the map pretty much confirms the end of their stay at the park, though. So much for a send off but anyone following LPS closely in recent years knew Ranger's days were numbered.

11 hours ago, rappa said:

If they look to remove the Rotor or Coney Island then we should all start getting angry.

Speaking of which....

image.png.580ecf57d9ab9ed7fe5b52784be2f0fb.png

There's an odd one missing. Rotor isn't mentioned on the map either. Site says its down for maintenance and unlike Tumble Bug or Ranger it still has the page on it up, so I don't think it gets axed. The thought of removing it is enough to generate some Mr Toad's vibes given its history and popularity with the public. 

2 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

There's an odd one missing. Rotor isn't mentioned on the map either. Site says its down for maintenance and unlike Tumble Bug or Ranger it still has the page on it up, so I don't think it gets axed. The thought of removing it is enough to generate some Mr Toad's vibes given its history and popularity with the public. 

The rotor will never go. They would just rebuild another one. It Is indeed a unique ride.

As mentioned for the other two rides the days have been numbered for a long time. I know everyone goes coaster crazy but I don't see it happening. Not unless something is occurring with the wild mouse. That being said the wild mouse can be moved. Its just a giant Meccano set.

Id likes to see a kids area made up honestly. The Maloneys corner part has a bad vibe. The issue is being so confined they are virtually landlocked. Interesting times ahead indeed. Breakdance should be next on the removal list. It had its major overhaul over 12 months ago and from memory instead of doing half of the bearings, motor servicing they did the lot. Indicating that they might want to get the most they can out of it before its time is up also.

Its had no major modifications to its trailers also (unlike Tumble Bug & Ranger).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Speaking of which....

image.png.580ecf57d9ab9ed7fe5b52784be2f0fb.pngThere's an odd one missing. Rotor isn't mentioned on the map either. Site says its down for maintenance and unlike Tumble Bug or Ranger it still has the page on it up, so I don't think it gets axed. The thought of removing it is enough to generate some Mr Toad's vibes given its history and popularity with the public. 

I wonder if it has something to do with the challenges of cleaning the ride for COVID purposes?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

I wonder if it has something to do with the challenges of cleaning the ride for COVID purposes?

Well, they can clean it up pretty well after people throw up in it. Hence why it's known as the "Chunder Machine".

I am sure it is easy to clean, plus I've seen it cleaned also. Just do a similar thing to what Disney is currently doing. Plus if you have ever been to the park after someone chunders everywhere they usually send it on a cycle anyway.

Breakdance looks like it’ll be next on the chopping block, fortunately for us enthusiasts, there seem to be quite a few showmen interested in potentially purchasing and traveling it.

Does anyone know if Power Surge has opened yet? It seems like it’s just been sitting there for the last couple of days with no real movement.

Edited by Wil_i_am_not

1 hour ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Breakdance looks like it’ll be next on the chopping block, fortunately for us enthusiasts, there seem to be quite a few showmen interested in potentially purchasing and traveling it.

That has been on the cards for a while as I mentioned above. Breakdance should be next unless they have an issue with another ride.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/07/2020 at 12:15 AM, Baconjack said:

Manor closed last year so its been gone for a while now. It was always meant to be a temporary attraction from the start however its stay was extended because of its popularity.

Unfortunately you can't just walk into the park at the moment and see what's going on these days. Ranger and Tumble Bug being deleted from the map pretty much confirms the end of their stay at the park, though. So much for a send off but anyone following LPS closely in recent years knew Ranger's days were numbered.

Speaking of which....

image.png.580ecf57d9ab9ed7fe5b52784be2f0fb.png

Rotor is not included on the updated park map because it is closed for covid 19 measures. In the statement when LPS announced the expansion they did mention re-furbished rides and mention the rotor would be one of them. The Rotor is a world heritage listed site and I don't see it getting the boot in the near future.

On 09/07/2020 at 4:16 PM, Wil_i_am_not said:

Does anyone know if Power Surge has opened yet? It seems like it’s just been sitting there for the last couple of days with no real movement.

I agree. Maloney's Corner is looking to be leaning towards the kids area side. While Spider is a family attraction, some still find it too intense. I walked across the boardwalk a few days ago and saw power surge covered in tarps but not operating. Have no idea what they're going to do with it but it wouldn't be a bad permanent ride. I could see it being called Tantrum or something. The only problem is that, like I mentioned before, Maloney's Corner is becoming more of a kids area. A Zamperla Power Surge is far from tame and wouldn't really fit. Hope it opens up sometime soon though.

16 hours ago, PapiRides said:

The Rotor is a world heritage listed site

I really doubt that champ.

https://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/au

World Heritage Site - Wikipedia

•  
Edited by Gazza