‘They were very dark days’. Inside story: Dreamworld boss reveals how close theme park came to closure

Brad2912

This was a really fantastic article. It seems Dreamworld will be refurbishing ABC world, maybe converting it to just a Wiggles World instead.

I think the family focus for the next few rides is also a winning strategy. I love the idea of a Steel Taipan viewing platform.

I still think it is clear that Dreamworld has a clear recovery plan. It will take time but I think the current leadership is really on their game. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Vidgamer said:

This was a really fantastic article. It seems Dreamworld will be refurbishing ABC world, maybe converting it to just a Wiggles World instead.

I think the family focus for the next few rides is also a winning strategy. I love the idea of a Steel Taipan viewing platform.

If this is true, this is a huge mistake on Dreamworld's part.

Bluey is the best IP Dreamworld could secure to drive gate and given the pre-existing relationship with the license, why wouldn't they take it a step further into a dark ride? Does the Wiggles still have that same impact it did in the mid 2000's when the Wiggles area first opened up? I'd say the Wiggles will be a component of the refresh, like it has been for the last few years, with a Bluey component as well.

I'd say what we are getting is the ABC Kids refresh that's taking over the TOT queue area and a family water ride at Rocky Hollow, probably a modern flume or a shoot-the-chutes. $60m is enough to execute those two concepts well.

Edited by Baconjack

6 hours ago, joz said:

I wouldn't have mentioned it, but Future Labs was dead long before covid. So no, them lying about it here and blaming covid doesn't put the critisim to bed.

Thats an interesting claim. Do you have any evidence other than hearsay to back it up? Its not that I dont believe you its just that as with anything posted on this forum, the onus of proof is on the person making the claim. If not then I guess that makes it rather erroneous. 

Despite knowing it to be true, the only stuff that demonstrstes it and is also shareable, would be considered hearsay. There are times I'm speculating though, and times where I am not. I'm not speculating on this occasion.

Also I'll move this part of the conversation to the right thread soon so this thread can be exclusively about the article without getting bogged down.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2022 at 1:10 PM, joz said:

I wouldn't have mentioned it, but Future Labs was dead long before covid. So no, them lying about it here and blaming covid doesn't put the critisim to bed.

It is true that future lab was put 'on hold' prior to covid. That is a FACT. The project was placed on hold, and the money was also placed on hold. Covid just took the plans from 'not right now' to 'not happening in the foreseeable future'

That doesn't mean that the statements made in the article are false. 

• Like 2

Sorry you are incorrect, it is NOT a fact. 
You may think so because all the information publicly available information makes it look this way. 
However that doesn’t mean there isn’t more to the story that people can’t disclose publicly. 

DW is good at bullshit and media spin whilst what is going on/went on behind close doors is much less rosey. 

On 27/08/2022 at 1:10 PM, joz said:

If only a few people know the truth and those people won't talk about, why does it matter if DW talks about it?  

Edited by New display name

8 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It is true that future lab was put 'on hold' prior to covid. That is a FACT. The project was placed on hold, and the money was also placed on hold. Covid just took the plans from 'not right now' to 'not happening in the foreseeable future'

That doesn't mean that the statements made in the article are false. 

Not much of a Future Lab if the project was dependent on a key stakeholder and that stakeholder left. And if the dissolution of Corroboree is anything to go you could safely assume Dreamworld wasn't planning on going down the Future Lab route without that key stakeholder.

7 minutes ago, New display name said:

If only a few people know the truth and those people won't talk about, why does it matter if DW talks about it?  

Because drinking the kool-aid rots your teeth.

15 hours ago, rappa said:

Sorry you are incorrect, it is NOT a fact. 
You may think so because all the information publicly available information makes it look this way. 
However that doesn’t mean there isn’t more to the story that people can’t disclose publicly. 

DW is good at bullshit and media spin whilst what is going on/went on behind close doors is much less rosey. 

Allow me to translate:

"I know something you dont know... I know something you dont know... I know something you dont know... "

Everything publicly available agrees with my statement. 

You disagree with my statement, but "can't disclose" anything to support your argument. 

How convenient.

15 hours ago, Slick said:

Not much of a Future Lab if the project was dependent on a key stakeholder and that stakeholder left.

Nobody is irreplaceable.

55 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

How convenient.

To the contrary, it’s incredibly inconvenient, because it would be much easier to just post the info. 

And yes, I do know something you don’t know, and no I can’t say what it is. 
However that doesn’t mean it isn’t true and that your statement of an alternate scenario being fact isn’t incorrect. 
You’ll just have to accept (or don’t, really doesn’t bother me) that in some cases no matter of ‘research’ is going to result in you being the authority on the topic. 

You guys remember that time I was heavily criticised for saying that insiders told me that there were problems with the Leviathan structure which would lead to a delay but I was basically told I'm an idiot that I couldn't be trusted and I shouldn't be listening to the dippin' dots guy? Haha, that was great. 

It's sometimes fun to reminisce. 

• Like 1

I think what we currently have is heaps of evidence pointing towards a fact, so unless there is (sourcable) heaps of evidence pointing towards another, it's nothing more than fiction/rumours. Be it that Future Labs was never getting built, or that Leviathan is sinking into the abyss, til there's solid reason to believe that they're the case, they're not.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Leviathan is sinking into the abyss

That's the season finale to Leviathan. VRTP turn the entire land precinct into a sink hole and it returns to the earth bringing the story of Atlantis full circle. 

11 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

I think what we currently have is heaps of evidence pointing towards a fact, so unless there is (sourcable) heaps of evidence pointing towards another, it's nothing more than fiction/rumours.

This is on the money. Getting insider insight is not a blessing, its a curse. There is no way to prove that the information you have is the right information, and divulging anything leads to a Sisyphus complex where you will never come out on top. It's easier to just sit on it, tell only people you trust, and have a little giggle to yourself when you see people talking about contrarian information. 

Learn from me, you ain't convincing anybody. Just keep it to yourself. 

Edited by Guest 239

7 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

This is on the money. Getting insider insight is not a blessing, its a curse. There is no way to prove that the information you have is the right information, and divulging anything leads to a Sisyphus complex where you will never come out on top. It's easier to just sit on it, tell only people you trust, and have a little giggle to yourself when you see people talking about contrarian information. 

Learn from me, you ain't convincing anybody. Just keep it to yourself. 

Yeah I getcha, I've been in other circles where I've both been the one with insider info, and the one hearing (way too many) other people try pass off that they do. So, I've kind of learned from that experience to just not trust any 'insider info' til there's legitimate proof behind it, and sit pretty til what I know, is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Nobody is irreplaceable.

Correct. Re-read what I said in full - that ultimately infers enough about organisational intention since it was the same stakeholders keeping both projects running.

Just to note - so far in this thread, we've acknowledged that CEO's do spin (and for good reason) only to then take everything a CEO says as gospel in a clearly paid-for op-ed after said company reported lower than expected results. Bit of whiplash digesting that one. If we're at the point where we presume that everything said in the news is true then I'm not sure what kind of objective conversation there is to actually have.

43 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

You guys remember that time I was heavily criticised for saying that insiders told me that there were problems with the Leviathan structure which would lead to a delay but I was basically told I'm an idiot that I couldn't be trusted and I shouldn't be listening to the dippin' dots guy? Haha, that was great. 

It's sometimes fun to reminisce. 

We do. I also remember the ride testing a week or so later.

20 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

There is no way to prove that the information you have is the right information,

There's no need to when you've been posting thoughts online that have been on the money for over a decade. No one's forcing you to agree with me, I'll just have that giggle you mention instead and be on my way. 🍻

Edited by Slick

17 hours ago, New display name said:

Like I originally said, I wouldn't have mentioned it, but the willingness to drink the koolaid and gleefully accept something which wasn't true played into my reading of it. I did want to leave a comment that says 'He has a vision for the park and that's the first time anyone has said that for several decades which is encouraging', but the comment about how that little untruth put critism to bed was impossible not to answer with the truth.

16 hours ago, New display name said:

That's in the job description for any CEO.

I actually agree with this. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Slick said:

Just to note - so far in this thread, we've acknowledged that CEO's do spin (and for good reason) only to then take everything a CEO says as gospel in a clearly paid-for op-ed after said company reported lower than expected results. Bit of whiplash digesting that one.

Yes, CEO's do spin, that's also called marketing. But that doesn't mean that any quote of theirs should be taken as an inherent lie, just cause some people on a forum said so. Unless there is a defined base for it to stand on, from an outsider, it is baseless. If it's true, then great, what's done is done. If it's not, still great. Doesn't change anything anyway, the outcome's still the same. This is just fighting over semantics.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Slick said:

We do. I also remember the ride testing a week or so later.

That's because people misconstrued what I said to be some detrimental doomsday scenario instead of an operational hurdle. I never said that the ride wouldn't test or continue along once the problem was solved, but I did mention to expect delays, and what was slyly updated a couple of days later on the website?

8 minutes ago, Slick said:

There's no need to when you've been posting thoughts online that have been on the money for over a decade. No one's forcing you to agree with me, I'll just have that giggle you mention instead and be on my way. 🍻

Not everything is about you.