Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point "Closing"

Coasterjoe

• 2 weeks later...

Zamperla coming in to retrofit Superman to LSM's and adding some new trains is a very viable alteration that could be made in the next 10-15 years to keep the ride going. Especially as parts start to run out for the hydraulic coasters. You could relaunch the ride and re-do the dark ride section as well, given how spotty that's been for some years.

It's easily one of the most popular rides at MW, and I don't see this changing for quite a while. I think it's a slam dunk really.

Edited by Baconjack

Village still seem to have a relationship with Intamin, so i think they’d just go back with them to retrofit the launch when it comes time. along with that, i’d love if they replaced the trains at the same time to either the soft straps, or the new gen intamin trains (velocicoaster, taron, ect.)

I was thinking about that last time I went too, cause it's not like they'd just shut Superman down, but it's main hinderance has always been the launch. If a retrofit to LSMs is on the market, that'd be a great opportunity to fix it's main issue, and simultaneously breathe new life into the theming (and modernize the station/s) as well. There's a lot of relatively cheap things that could be done in a period of renovation to make Superman all that much better.

On 12/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, Baconjack said:

Zamperla coming in to retrofit Superman to LSM's and adding some new trains is a very viable alteration that could be made in the next 10-15 years to keep the ride going. Especially as parts start to run out for the hydraulic coasters. You could relaunch the ride and re-do the dark ride section as well, given how spotty that's been for some years.

It's easily one of the most popular rides at MW, and I don't see this changing for quite a while. I think it's a slam dunk really.

If superman was more unreliable I'd say maybe. But honestly as far as the Intamin accelerators go it seems the smaller ones are a lot more reliable. Superman has never had any major issues and realistically as long as maintenance is kept up I'd say it lasting 30 years is reasonable which would mean it's just past halfway through its service life. I feel after 30 years it being replaced with something else probably wouldn't be a terrible idea. 

But if it's not broken don't fix it :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, themagician said:

The park has shared a video on their socials. Something is coming in 2024.

The slogan is “A new formula for thrills”. Interesting. Could it be themed the same or Formula One? This is what I think will happen to it:

• LSM Launch
  • Launch and Brake to be developed by Intamin or Zamperla
  • Queue to be moved from the middle of the track
  • New theme in some form

And IF there is any change to the track etc. Not staying in its current form, here’s what I hope will happen:

• Station is moved slightly to the left of the track
  • Due to the speed of LSMs slower than Hydraulic Launch, a rollback is introduced and something like Steel Taipan’s launch is introduced where a rollback happens, goes up the tail whip, then goes to complete the track

However I think the only change to the layout will be LSMs. If changed it could be the tallest coaster in the world as well as maybe the fastest.

Probably same layout with LSMs and the queue moved out to where the exit is. That video only really told us it's coming in 2024 and the top hat will still be there. 

I'd love to see an extended layout or at least Zamperla cranking the LSMs to their max speed of 124 mph, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by downunder
Fix returns

1 hour ago, downunder said:

I went straight to rcdb when I saw that post. 240 km/h would be slightly faster for FR. I wonder if that level of speed would be lethal on TTD. 

Apparently, without trims, it would be way too fast over the top hat (about -2G's, which isn't lethal, but definitely distressing and illegal when sustained for as long as it would be). And there's no reason to justify launching TTD at that speed, then trimming it as it ascends the top hat, nor is there any space in the launch section to allow for it. So unless if TTD's top hat was changed/redone, which is pretty much confirmed to not be happening, it's almost definitely something else. Still interesting information, though.