Dreamworld announces Wave Swinger, Dreamland (DreamWorks retheme) and new coasters

Ashley Jeffery

Made a little overlay for the plans:

image.thumb.png.c930fd269db5988410190db2c68e6dab.png

Theoretically it wont take up more space but I can imagine the vertical structures will make the space feel a little tighter.

Something to note is that the best place to see the water features will be from Kenny's and the covered area towards Ocean Parade which is clever considering that where most people are seated for Night Markets. 

Edited by Guest 239
bad spelling :(
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 3

It is going to be interesting how it plays out.  I think the area will end up feeling like a village.  The only thing, I can really pick on at the moment is this floating ring beam above the stage.    

1. We know objects do not float.  extra supports will be required.

2. It looks out of place.

I suspect this is to hang lights from during the night markets to light up the stage, but DW needs to reconsider getting rid of it and find a better way to light up the stage because this element will look shit.

989898.thumb.JPG.4023d4231ab02d8948937c26062646f4.JPG

You can't be serious DW.  You create a place for people to take photos and then you put this magical floating beam in the way.

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.thumb.JPG.233601e9ce3f0598d343e9e6069a6a8e.JPG

Edited by New display name

26 minutes ago, New display name said:

You can't be serious DW.  You create a place for people to take photos and then you put this magical floating beam in the way.

Wouldn't you pretty much be underneath that beam when taking the photos anyway? If the area is as cramped as its being made out to be you'd be struggling to get it in the shot.

21 minutes ago, franky said:

Wouldn't you pretty much be underneath that beam when taking the photos anyway? If the area is as cramped as its being made out to be you'd be struggling to get it in the shot.

I just released that when I looked for photos but it doesn't change the fact, when you enter the park you will have the floating beam that doesn't match what they just built.

36 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the magical floating beam is being managed by somebody else and will have the Dreamworld lettering on it for the globe. 

I just went through Instagram and most photos are close up anyway, so you won't get the signage in the photo.

image.thumb.png.a50e080f0c49eb19e70e9f97bc846269.png

DW's dirty floating beam.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.thumb.JPG.ec200fab376cd2558aa3e87c4d7f4a01.JPG

globe.thumb.JPG.e6c640ff94b362c06d0decafe7ae959e.JPG

• Like 1

Looking at the plan overlay, it appears they will be moving the globe to the left so it’s slightly closer to the entrance of the park. The second (smaller) structure, I wonder if that’s a small kiosk/store replacing the one thats currently in the park (next to the park map) or if it’s control booth/exit. 

I do like the structures, and there are needed in some form because of shading needed for the queue and control booth, but hopefully when the rides in operation, these structures don’t feel like they’re closing the ride in, as the main goal of this ride is to activate the entry and Main Street. Having it open to the south and east will certainly be great, but my concern is as you enter the park as it’s the first view/impression guests will get. 

5 minutes ago, themagician said:

The second (smaller) structure, I wonder if that’s a small kiosk/store replacing the one thats currently in the park (next to the park map) or if it’s control booth/exit. 

I'd say ops booth and the exit just above it. The larger structure would be the entry queue.

5 minutes ago, themagician said:

but hopefully when the rides in operation, these structures don’t feel like they’re closing the ride in, as the main goal of this ride is to activate the entry and Main Street.

That's a really good point. You should have a good sight line from the main entrance in front of the globe and I'd imagine you'd be swinging up above the structure (or do these swingers not go that high?)

Anyone have the link to the original files?

4 minutes ago, themagician said:

Looking at the plan overlay, it appears they will be moving the globe to the left so it’s slightly closer to the entrance of the park. The second (smaller) structure, I wonder if that’s a small kiosk/store replacing the one thats currently in the park (next to the park map) or if it’s control booth/exit. 

I do like the structures, and there are needed in some form because of shading needed for the queue and control booth, but hopefully when the rides in operation, these structures don’t feel like they’re closing the ride in, as the main goal of this ride is to activate the entry and Main Street. Having it open to the south and east will certainly be great, but my concern is as you enter the park as it’s the first view/impression guests will get. 

The Globe is just getting moved closer to the stage.  The small building is a pump room.  The ops is at the end of the long building and the rest of the building is electrical and hyd unit.

7 minutes ago, New display name said:

The Globe is just getting moved closer to the stage.  The small building is a pump room.  The ops is at the end of the long building and the rest of the building is electrical and hyd unit.

You can see on the plan the stage is getting an arc cut out of it to allow for the globe

IMG_5014.thumb.jpeg.f443cfbb5b86ecfd610159ad17771dcc.jpeg

8 minutes ago, franky said:

I'd imagine you'd be swinging up above the structure (or do these swingers not go that high?)

I do think that the chairs would go higher than the structures

Edited by themagician

4 hours ago, Guest 239 said:

Made a little overlay for the plans:

image.thumb.png.c930fd269db5988410190db2c68e6dab.png

Theoretically it wont take up more space but I can imagine the vertical structures will make the space feel a little tighter.

Something to note is that the best place to see the water features will be from Kenny's and the covered area towards Ocean Parade which is clever considering that where most people are seated for Night Markets. 

Cheers for this - gives a good idea of how it'll fit into the space. I'm warming up to this project now.

5 hours ago, New display name said:

Regarding the switchbacks, are you referring the new access ramps to the existing stage @Slick?

Nah referring to the queue. Really happy to see an access ramp being put in for the stage, that's long overdue, especially given that it's the year of accessibility tourism for Queensland. Taking the letters off the globe seems dumb though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slick said:

Cheers for this - gives a good idea of how it'll fit into the space. I'm warming up to this project now.

It's better than the 50 shades of blue reno, over at Ocean Parade.  I have a few apprehensions that won't be answered until it's built but at least the design is finally showing DW is at least thinking about the area they are putting the ride into.

3 hours ago, TBoy said:

I think that’s just a mistake and the letters will still be on the globe tbh.

I would say so. They probably didn’t think it was necessary to moc up the letters for this architectural plan. As it’s less about detail and more the overall buildings and area.  Then a detailed concept art .it will probably be the same globe not a new one 

Edited by REGIE
  • Like 1

Construction to start after the school holidays.  The construction compound is to be located at the old log ride site, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the site offices, power & internet are currently being installed and connected in readiness for construction within the log ride area now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gumb00t said:

You guys are funny. A couple years ago everyone here was sooking and crying that DW don't do enough to keep up. Now there's all this work in progress and there's nothing but complaining still. Is there any actual adults here?

Where’d you see any sooking/crying? It’s a discussion about Dreamworld expansions, and it’s hard to discuss modern Dreamworld’s expansions without also remembering what past Dreamworld had, and the fact of the matter is that, as of right now at least, it’s scaled down. Even just in the last 4 years, and only including rides, they’ve closed: Wipeout, Tower of Terror, Rocky Hollow, FlowRider, Big Red Cars, and BuzzSaw. In that time, they’ve opened Sky Voyager & Steel Taipan, which are good attractions in their own right, but don’t do much to regain what’s been removed (the only possibly direct comparison is ST = BuzzSaw + ToT). They’re continuing to, at least begin, recuperating what they’ve let go with more soon-to-come expansions, some of which are pretty inarguably better uses for their plot than what stood before (Rivertown), but there’ll still be gaps to fill, and thus discussions to be had.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gumb00t said:

You guys are funny. A couple years ago everyone here was sooking and crying that DW don't do enough to keep up. Now there's all this work in progress and there's nothing but complaining still. Is there any actual adults here?

Sounds like you like to complain about complaining to me.🤣

• 1 month later...