Murrisippi Motors - Vintage Cars to be relocated to Rivertown area at Dreamworld

Rabbit2014

18 minutes ago, Rabbit2014 said:

With AE2D6227-B04B-4972-86CE-F77F18C388CE.thumb.png.cac7b525c9495499b9f8267bd8823c51.png

With the vintage cars moving, they are also updating the attraction with new vehicles.

The only thing that makes it moving the vintage cars from A to B is the cars. I should add that they're built from genuine Model-T Ford parts that are worth tens of thousands of dollars. Getting rid of them is just another indicator of how little they understand or appreciate what they have right under their noses.

Rivertown looks nice though. Love that they called the Dreamworks retheme "Dreamland", reminds me of the other Disney knockoff theme park Nara Dreamland that eventually closed and got turned into housing. Clearly they didn't consider what would happen when people typed in Dreamland into Google about as much as they considered it when they tried to name Sky Voyage Sky Ryder.

Edited by Slick

12 minutes ago, New display name said:

I never said to my mother.  I want to ride the vintage cars because it has genuine Model-T Ford parts.

In the same way you never go to Disneyland for the authentic turn-of-the-century facades in Main Street, the integrity of the design choices, right down to the materials used in making something, emanate a feeling or experience that is greater than the sum of its parts and ultimately evokes the feeling of "magic".

You can be patronising all you like but the reality is Dreamworld was successful in the 80's because it prided itself on the same design principles as Disney did, and despite regular guests not being able to articulate the specific reason why, they definitely experienced and felt the difference as a result of the accountability John Longhurst had in upholding a certain level of integrity in the way things were made and presented. That difference is what Disney has continued to uphold - the importance in materials, history, craftsmanship etc. etc. whilst other companies become contemptuous over time and feel that one tiny cut to the design isn't noticeable. Thing is, do a thousand of them and guess what.... death by a thousand cuts. And then folks like yourself lament the lack of steam trains or the quality of facades dipping and yet fail to articulate specifically why "it doesn't feel the same as it did way back then."

This is why. It starts with a failure to recognise why people did things the way they did them in the past and that contempt only grows from there.

Edited by Slick

2 minutes ago, New display name said:

I agree @DaptoFunlandGuy If the new imagining of the ride is better than what we have now, how can't that be a good thing?  

Too true. We have for many years decried the park for moving the cars out the back of the wildlife area, in a flood zone, and then putting in the most minimal amount of concrete path with ZERO themeing. We even ridiculed them when they announced they were adding koalas to the area. 

The current version was a case of "we have these assets, but they need to move for new ride. What do we do? - eh - just shove them at the back. nobody will care".

Here we have the park returning the River to River Town, with some new hotness and combining it with a touching tribute to the Murrisippi name coined by John many years ago and largely forgotten by practically everyone, and as part of the process, instead of once again lifting and shifting and half arsing it, they've decided to reinvest in one of the oldest attractions in the park for generations to come by upgrading it to modern safety standards with new purpose built vehicles. (it's almost as if a cobbled together home-made ride built in-house could be considered a safety risk in this day and age?) - as I said before, I don't like the loss of the original vehicles, but I applaud them for reinvesting into the long term future of the attraction. They could have very easily left it to rot behind wildlife - or worse, shut it down entirely.

Is it even the same attraction? Like if they put a boat on the river would that be the return of an opening day attraction or something else entirely? I'd argue the latter, and at least with that it would be using the same track. Whatever this is is entirely new. I'm not saying that to knock it, I'm just pointing it out, they aren't moving vintage cars, they're getting rid of them and building a new one.

To me here's the key components: petrol car, that you 'drive' IE theres a pedal. Scenary should be (I'm saying it a lot today); charming. I don't know what's going on under the hood, I really don't know if them being authentic matters or not, but the design of the cars had loads of charm to them. If it's indistinguishable then it won't have mattered. If something is lost then that might be, but I'm stuffed if I know this far out.

Also 'New hotness' is not a statement that goes well with 'Vintage Cars'.

27 minutes ago, joz said:

Is it even the same attraction?

In so far as it's a guided-track "self drive" attraction, I'd argue it's a fine "replacement" and leave it at that, but I do understand the various differences of opinion and I'm not outright saying that anyone is wrong for their point of view.

29 minutes ago, joz said:

If it's indistinguishable then it won't have mattered.

Universal Singapore has this modern, electric vehicle. I'm quite sure that any new vehicle design can be modified to have passing resemblance to the old one, except for safety features such as doors to prevent egress

Entree Kibbles: Treasure Hunters @ Universal Studios Singapore [Ancient  Egypt Zone]

33 minutes ago, joz said:

Also 'New hotness' is not a statement that goes well with 'Vintage Cars'.

That's because I was referring to Jungle Rush.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

returning the River to River Town, with some new hotness and combining it with a touching tribute to the Murrisippi name

Translation: River town returns, with touching tribute to old car ride, plus new rollercoaster. Apologies for the confusion. 

31 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I've already put in the database as a new attraction.

Well, that's the nail in the coffin then.

Just now, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Universal Singapore has this modern, electric vehicle. I'm quite sure that any new vehicle design can be modified to have passing resemblance to the old one, except for safety features such as doors to prevent egress

Themeing aside, that ride boils down almost exactly what a vintage car ride should not be. The design of the cars is fine, but everything else is wrong.

So I'm nearly 40 but at one tine I was 5, 6, 10 (shocking I know) and even at that tine I knew Dreamworld cars were awesome and Wonderlands modern electric cars were SHIT!

So forget Model T parts or not, the attraction in the current DW cars is definitely because of what they are to both kids and adults alike. They are just kinda 'real'

1 hour ago, joz said:

Themeing aside, that ride boils down almost exactly what a vintage car ride should not be. The design of the cars is fine, but everything else is wrong.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here - I genuinely don't understand what you mean -

If you put the themeing aside, and the design of the cars is fine.... what is the 'everything else' left?

43 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Lets be honest, no park is going to install a new petrol powered ride in 2024.

There was zero wrong with Wonderland's electric models. no stink, no flammables risk, and safety zoning in the power rail preventing collisions. 

It is literally the thunder river (in house) vs. Snowy River (Intamin designed) comparison all over again. 

The cars themselves look good. That's what's I mean when I say the design of the cars is fine. The rest of it is that it's crappy cars on electric rails.

None of this has anything to do with DW by the way. Might split it off later into a seperate conversation about good rides V crap ones lol

Edited by joz

19 minutes ago, joz said:

The cars themselves look good. That's what's I mean when I say the design of the cars is fine. The rest of it is that it's crappy cars on electric rails.

So your objections are mainly aligned to the "Dreamworld Express is no longer a steam train" type issues?

Not really. I mean you could boil it down to that if you wanted to make a strawman, but it's far more fundamental to the ride type. A ride where you are 100% passive is a totally different experience to one where you drive the car. A computer controlled electric car ride will always feel like a computer controlled electric car ride, no matter how rustic you make the card look. There is no immersion, because it's fundamentally broken by the ride type. Could you make the ride type work? Sure! Could you make it work for a vintage car ride? No, because the experience feels different. Vintage cars vibrate from the motor, they have sounds and smells unique to them. They're things you drive. Push a button on a control panel and off you go is a totally different ride. Dressing it up as something it's not does not make it so.

I'm fairly certain they still have limited steerage don't they? like the rail guides them the same as the existing cars, but you can make limited adjustments before it corrects you?

And sure, if there's no accelerator "control" out on the track its a loss, but I don't think it's a fundamental loss to the experience. Maybe that's just me, growing up with the Wonderland version and seeing no issue with it. Maintains safe spacing between ride vehicles, allows an E-stop to completely power disconnect the entire ride, rather than rely on the driver to obey a red light?