Dreamworld - Kenny & Belinda's Dreamland Updates

Ogre

I don’t think dreamworld would be stupid enough to close tiger island. That is one of their biggest draws and one of the few things that really stands out from the other parks.  They would need to add an RMC hyper to even start to justify that decision.  .

On 17/06/2023 at 6:25 PM, Rivals said:

Gingy’s is staying, it’s apparently not getting removed. 

This is a first - they haven't announced any sort of retheme for the attraction, and I guess we'd all assumed since it wasn't mentioned, it was gone. 

11 hours ago, REGIE said:

They would need to add an RMC hyper to even start to justify that decision.  .

That's a bit out there in left field... if they close the bilby exhibit do they need to build a Mack Wild Mouse to justify it?

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I don’t think I’m the only one who believes once they move to the announced “non-contact” model with the tigers, in turn taking away the enrichment and engagement the tigers have grown to know and thrive within, that the tigers may be better off elsewhere. 

You mean - elsewhere such as most other tiger exhibits across the world that are non-contact?

53 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

You mean - elsewhere such as most other tiger exhibits across the world that are non-contact?

On this note I was surprised on my last visit to Australia Zoo recently the Tiger show was performed without handlers in the enclosure.

Anyone know if they are also moving to non-contact?

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

This is a first - they haven't announced any sort of retheme for the attraction, and I guess we'd all assumed since it wasn't mentioned, it was gone. 

The Candy Flyer originally didn’t have any maintenance scheduled for the year as I believe it was originally slated to be removed. But a few months ago maintenance was scheduled in and it is currently closed for a couple weeks. So I think they changed their minds to keep the ride count up. I’ve heard a rumour that the Big Red Boat from Wiggles World is also going to be relocated and rethemed. 

13 minutes ago, themagician said:

I’ve heard a rumour that the Big Red Boat from Wiggles World is also going to be relocated

If it does get relocated, it would most likely have to get a retheme either to another Big Red vehicle or another property. It would be strange having two Big Red Boats that would cause some confusion.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I’ve heard a rumour that the Big Red Boat from Wiggles World is also going to be relocated and rethemed. 

I mean, they're building a new BRB ride, so hopefully the theme can be suitably reconfigured. Rock'n'tug style attractions are good for the younger demo, but IMO that particular version is so restrictive and difficult to load, i'd wish they'd have just gotten rid of it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, themagician said:

where could it be going

Honestly the footprints required for either of these don't really make it too difficult to find them a home. 

It's difficult without knowing exactly how the new BRB ride will fit in, but here's a rough cut of the envelope for the ferris wheel and a bunch of places it could "probably" fit.

(Bear in mind i've drawn around the entire footprint where it sits which has a platform over the murrisippi - chances are the area behind the mast could be reduced to fit in odd areas, so this is the maximum space the ride requires, so tight fits aren't necessarily an issue)

1811096545_map_20230411(1).thumb.png.d66245ecc2e12df518fdb88e46e2b6aa.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rivals said:

just to confirm what i’m saying :)

Thanks for the additional info mate. No doubts about your statement, just that the park hadn't made mention of it - they specifically mentioned sword swing would retire, but were silent on gingy, and i guess we all assumed with a flash new coaster coming into play that it'd be going - since every other attraction in the land had a theme announced - carousel, jungle jam, EFM, even Pandamonium - so in the absence of them on the list, it was fair to assume it was going.

I wonder what theme they'll go with...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

if they can find suitable new locations for them where personal interaction is still possible, then yes.

Dreamworld isnt a zoo and TI wouldnt have been even considered back in its inception if the concept was just tigers on display with no interaction. 

5 hours ago, aussienetman said:

Re Tiger Island.  

Best practice for handling of captive animals changes over time. With all things considered, the move to non-contact is based on worldwide best practice zoological guidelines. 

absolutely it does, and if TI was being developed to open today, you would start with a non-contact model (though i dont think DW is the right place for that model anyway). However i'd say those best practice rules/recommendations would be based off starting anew, and not changing the way existing facilities are run with animals now accustomed to being handled and interacted/enriched through contact daily.

In my opinion, which means little i know, DW continue the operation of TI as is but cease breeding so the cycle does not continue again/restart, and let the existing tigers live out their days. 

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Dreamworld isnt a zoo

It is actually.

TI wouldnt have been even considered back in its inception if the concept was just tigers on display with no interaction. 

Disagree. Sea World contemplated Gorillas and Hippos. And they already had animal attractions so it's not like sticking a rollercoaster in a waterpark. The mix of attractions at the park already included animals so it's not like just having big cats is that big of a stretch without the interactions.

However i'd say those best practice rules/recommendations would be based off starting anew, and not changing the way existing facilities are run with animals now accustomed to being handled and interacted/enriched through contact daily.

Unfortunately "that's the way we've always done it" isn't a good enough reason to keep doing something that is no longer best practice. Many captive animal facilities around the world have had to change the way humans interact with them. If this has a negative impact on the animal then we must do everything we can to minimise that impact, without compromising the principles behind the non-contact processes themselves.

2 hours ago, REGIE said:

Why did they fire the tiger man.

I won't pretend that I know the inner workings and reasons behind what happened here, but the official public line was he was made redundant. Only the park or Patrick could definitively state the specific reasons here.

IMG_6302.thumb.jpeg.4b7e6944313b1ef13dcc08853a5d7ea3.jpeg
Thanks @DaptoFunlandGuy for the image and areas. I’ve circled the areas that I think are most plausible for the rides to go. Area A is the most likely as this area has been fenced off and there have been works happening in this area for a few months now. Option B could be a good area depending on how the coaster is placed. It could be good for the Ferris wheel and a small queue setup (like what there is now). Option C could be a nice spot if they plan to remove the fountains and hide the former TOT store, but it could be too close to what’s becoming Ocean Parade. 

On 25/06/2023 at 7:10 AM, themagician said:

Track painting is almost complete 

IMG_6438.thumb.jpeg.20b19a0b271a8ee409127d72d4c42b58.jpeg
IMG_6441.thumb.jpeg.a6c4e166ac8274c9fe2e8437c57d3162.jpeg

I got a close up look at this over the weekend and that brown in person looks surprisingly good. Really gives the feel of a 'treetops' and the props to go on top based on the concept art will really top it off nicely.

On 25/06/2023 at 7:10 AM, themagician said:

IMG_6442.jpeg

I got a look through the fence to this area while I was there, and there are a number of markers on the ground that have recently each had four bolt holes drilled, in what looks to me the mountings for the ferris wheel, so i'd say this is the intended new home, which will also close off this dead zone area between the family centre and ball pit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I got a close up look at this over the weekend and that brown in person looks surprisingly good

That’s cool!  I wasn’t to sure about it from the photos. I would’ve probably opted for brown supports and green track but I am glad it works in person. I gotta check it out soon.

• 1 month later...