Dreamworld Maintenance 2023

themagician

9 minutes ago, Gazza said:

@DaptoFunlandGuy go to SW San Diego instead, they have that new dive coaster and a new jet ski coaster opening this year too.

SW San Diego is quite a good a park that is never rlly busy. I went in August last year, on the way back to LA after visiting family the night between getting a flight back home, and even though I went on a Sunday in summer, I had no trouble getting on every coaster plus a re-ride on their dive in two hours!

Btw when it comes to knotts, Accelerator has been closed for months now and no one’s knows when it will re-open, it’s gonna leave a major gap in that parks lineup if it happens to close forever.

28 minutes ago, Natti_amusements said:

it’s gonna leave a major gap in that parks lineup if it happens to close forever.

It would be good if they just replaced the launch/brakes with LSMs. It is most likely happening with TTD at Cedar Point and would be good if they did the same there.

13 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Nah it wouldnt

That launch is really really good

Well they wouldn't change it "because it is really really good". Lets see some reasons why it could be swapped like TTD:

1. Less unreliable option
  2. Less costly to maintain.
  3. Easier to get parts.
  4. Other coasters are doing it, and hydraulic launches are becoming more rare

Yes we don't know if they will or not but I could see it happening. If Superman goes under a refurb similar to WWF/RR/SDSC then I could see the launch replaced with LSMs.

I think the fact the park has maintained Monte for so long and is even spending money in it now points to their willingness to keep a difficult ride thats rare. 

The two launch technologies really provide for very different ride experiences. 

They wouldnt change it or not just because someone said its really really good. However you said that it would be good if they just changed it. My opinion is that it wouldnt be good

1 hour ago, Gobbledok said:

I think the fact the park has maintained Monte for so long and is even spending money in it now points to their willingness to keep a difficult ride thats rare. 

And what is one of the main features they're changing about Montezooma with this investment they're doing?

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

some hydraulic launch coasters are only good Because of the launch. Most of them don’t have much of a layout after the launch. SE at least would still have the theming but it definitely wouldn’t be as good of a ride if it had LSM’s.   It’s a pretty short launch track but I wonder if S&S would retro fit an air launch to it came down to it.  Actually a air launch would be perfect for Xcelerator

I really wanna get out to nagashima spa land. They got one Of the last schwarzkopf weight drop launch’s. I believe there’s only 2 or 3 still in operation 

Edited by REGIE

That and Superman's launch system honestly hasn't really provided any major headaches for the park in the nearly 20 years that it's operated. Of course it's had some minor issues (but all rides do), but it seems the smaller Intamin Hydraulic Launches (the ones that go less than 120kph) seem to be pretty reliable. Xcelerator and TTD really were the 2 prototypes for the technology, so those 2 being more problematic (especially TTD given the speed and height) is to be expected.

I honestly don't see MW changing Superman to LSM's because it would be a very expensive overhaul, and it honestly runs perfectly fine with the current system.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

I honestly don't see MW changing Superman to LSM's because it would be a very expensive overhaul, and it honestly runs perfectly fine with the current system.

Time will tell, eventually though parts will become scarce and it will go the way of ToT. By the time that comes around though hopefully it's time to replace the ride entirely.

3 minutes ago, franky said:

By the time that comes around though hopefully it's time to replace the ride entirely.

Another thing that is a problem is that Intamin do not make Hydraulic Launch Coasters anymore. Their last one was Formula Rossa in 2010, and before that the previous one was made in 2007. Intamin mainly does LSM launches now, so it will become harder to get parts as you said.

I reckon that MW will try to make the ride last as long as possible, as it is one of their 4 most popular rides (DCR, Superman, Scooby, WWF) As such I can see them doing a similar thing to WWF/RR/SDSC where they make major changes to preserve the ride. 

One way to resolve it, as I am suggesting is to replace the Hydraulic Launch with LSMs. They could either use Intamin or Zamperla to help refurb it. The reason I am saying Zamperla is because they are changing the Hydraulic Launch by Intamin on Senzafiato at Miragica to a LSM launch by them while relocating it to Playland Amusement Park in Canada. They are also rumoured to do the same with TTD at Cedar Point, however it will be in the same spot. I would rather have the launch be changed than the coaster be removed all together.

Did intamin them selfs make the hydronic launch mechanisms or was it another company that contracted out too intamin? In the past other company’s have done the track and LSM manufacturing for intamin. Maybe the original company would still make replacement parts? 

If SE was to ever be replaced what do you think could possibly replace it? By then we will probably have more coaster designs and really proven if new concepts like the axis coaster end up being reliable or not but we could still place bets. I think maybe it could be a launched inverted or flying coaster. 

I think once it becomes impossible to maintain the current launch it would almost be better to replace the ride versus a most likey down graded experience with LSM’s.  By then though LSM technology will probably be near as powerful at hydraulic launch’s. I will wait and see how the first conversions go. I can see major park chains sacrificing less popular Hydraulic coasters for the parts to keep the good ones operational. I think SE will be one of the last to reach the end.

Edited by REGIE

On 17/03/2023 at 4:00 PM, Gazza said:

@DaptoFunlandGuy there are definitely better parks than Knotts anyway.

Chalk one up for sentimentality. It's just disappointing that so much is down right now.

On 17/03/2023 at 5:24 PM, Gazza said:

@DaptoFunlandGuy go to SW San Diego instead, they have that new dive coaster and a new jet ski coaster opening this year too.

Yeah SWSD is on the cards. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is good to see - we've long bashed them for lax safety, so it's good to see them taking positive steps towards making paths and walkways safer to navigate in all weather conditions!

I saw earlier today that they're repainting the kerbs around Main Street to black and yellow rather than the old red pathways - this is really a win for those with low vision as the contrasting colours stand out much better than red - AND it will make the height change far more visible at night, now they're open at night more often.

(Funfact - this is why ACT firetrucks are yellow instead of red!)

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy

• 7 months later...

Looks like Dreamworld are are continuing to add theming items around the park. It's interesting to see they are adding additional theming to shockwave that was seen in the original concept art all those years ago.

Photo credit to Jaggs Journeys:

Screenshot_20231210_205945.thumb.jpg.40eae2ab65af8541f566f2b9685669d3.jpg

Original concept art from 2010:

Screenshot_20231210_210421.thumb.jpg.62cd7ed2ba3203b3f69fc3aa028e4c02.jpg

How the ride has looked since opening:

Screenshot_20231210_210651.thumb.jpg.6b50e37255aebaa10a89158493a48416.jpg

Edited by Spectrumco
Grammar