Theme Park Worldwide Announce Australian Tour

Noll_57

Seems TPWW are really enjoying their time in Australia. I agree that it's refreshing to see such a well travelled individual having a blast in our parks.

In fairness I've always seen their vlogs as more of an overview than proper reviews. I go to their content to see what a park has and get a general idea of what to do, what to avoid, etc. It makes sense for VRTP to give them VIP to best showcase the park. It'd be a pretty bad overview if they could only do like half the park in a day. 

15 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

In fairness I've always seen their vlogs as more of an overview than proper reviews.

That's the way everybody should see them.

16 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

It makes sense for VRTP to give them VIP to best showcase the park. It'd be a pretty bad overview if they could only do like half the park in a day. 

I expect all the parks will look after TPWW and wouldn't it be great if all the parks treated everybody like VIP'S.  🤪

39 minutes ago, New display name said:

How many people have been able to enter the park before it opens, ride Rivals 7 times in a day and get every other ride in?

Did anyone else notice when they rode forward Rivals was open (queue was filling up) but when they returned to ride backwards the ride was closed (queue was empty and everyone could be see queuing outside on the bridge).

I'd be filthy if I was a paying customer that day... Holidays are busy enough as it is without someone commanding a ride to be closed so they can film it. Even more so if I was to learn after the fact that they were gifted admission and an unlimited use fast track. At least they only let them film on 2 rides.

Upside is, these POV's are better (image wise) than the ones Movieworld had for Rivals.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, franky said:
1 hour ago, New display name said:

Did anyone else notice when they rode forward Rivals was open (queue was filling up) but when they returned to ride backwards the ride was closed (queue was empty and everyone could be see queuing outside on the bridge).

You will find the video was edited, recording for both forwards and backwards would have taken place prior to the ride opening for guests for the day.

I would have enjoyed their review of having to use the app to buy Backwards. (I believe it’s the same as Sea World now that you cannot purchase directly in park)

Edited by Park Addict 93
  • Like 1

I'm not saying they directed MW to close the ride, but by virtue of them wanting to film, the ride was closed for them. My use of commanding was more around the definition of drawing attention or priority (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commanding).

45 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

You will find the video was edited, recording for both forwards and backwards would have taken place prior to the ride opening for guests for the day.

This makes sense now that you mention it. Having watched the video again the ride was closed on both runs. The 'pre ride' discussions where they were lined up in a full queue must have been one of their non-filming re-rides, which threw me off.

41 minutes ago, franky said:

I'm not saying they directed MW to close the ride, but by virtue of them wanting to film, the ride was closed for them. My use of commanding was more around the definition of drawing attention or priority (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commanding).

This makes sense now that you mention it. Having watched the video again the ride was closed on both runs. The 'pre ride' discussions where they were lined up in a full queue must have been one of their non-filming re-rides, which threw me off.

You don’t get it 

no public or paying guests were impacted. 

nothing was closed for their sole use 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, franky said:

I'd be filthy if I was a paying customer that day... Holidays are busy enough as it is without someone commanding a ride to be closed so they can film it. 

This was one of the highlights of Movieworld's Star Tour back in the day. Getting to do the first ride of the day on Superman, whilst the rest the general public are held up at the ride's entrance (and the queue sprawling down to the fountain). One of the many experiences/attractions I would love VRTP bring back.

• Like 3

Just now, New display name said:

MW might currently open the gate at 9.00am for people to enter the park but the guest can't ride to 9.30am.

In my experience you're allowed to line up outside the queue from 9, the ride ops arrive at the ride and start testing at 9:30, and the ride opens once testing is complete (which was at least 9:50 from one of the photos I had from my last visit standing in the pre-queue). For this to have happened with no paying guest impact, the ops would have had to test and have these guys cycled and done with filming before their normal open time (which was around 9:50-10am last I was there).

+1000 doubt Movie World would have brought ops in earlier to do this prior to their usual opening time. I would be gracious in defeat if they did.

You've all made me analyse this situation much more than I originally did/planned to. I honestly don't care about it that much, but now I'm just trying to make sure you're on the same page as me as far as how I've interpreted this playing out. The reality is it would have at most been two cycles (the same as testing) that would have impacted other guests.

At Dreamworld yesterday they rode Steel Taipan before the park opened, then went back outside to the park entrance and queued with everyone else for the park opening. Guess they did something similar for Rivals!

Edited by Ogre

35 minutes ago, franky said:

In my experience you're allowed to line up outside the queue from 9, the ride ops arrive at the ride and start testing at 9:30, and the ride opens once testing is complete (which was at least 9:50 from one of the photos I had from my last visit standing in the pre-queue). For this to have happened with no paying guest impact, the ops would have had to test and have these guys cycled and done with filming before their normal open time (which was around 9:50-10am last I was there).

+1000 doubt Movie World would have brought ops in earlier to do this prior to their usual opening time. I would be gracious in defeat if they did.

You've all made me analyse this situation much more than I originally did/planned to. I honestly don't care about it that much, but now I'm just trying to make sure you're on the same page as me as far as how I've interpreted this playing out. The reality is it would have at most been two cycles (the same as testing) that would have impacted other guests.

If the rides were opening at 10 it means the front gate opened at 9:30 not 9:00 when you went.

2 hours ago, franky said:

As an ex operator at Movie World, it was actually fairly common for staff to be rostered earlier for media filming etc. So this is certainly something that they do offer. They did it for Theme Park Review, as well as a multitude of local media channels as well. 

Generally speaking, except for a few positions cast sign on time as a ride operator (not a supervisor) would be 9:45am clock on time. This allows 15 mins for the operations opening checks to be done (estop, sending with harness up, gates open etc). as well as completing 2x full cycles of the ride. This is easily able to be done in the 15 mins before rides open at 10am. Certain positions would require a earlier start, such as Superman rostering 1x cast member to start at 9:25am to act as the entry host and Scooby having a 9:15am start to dot track walk with the supervisor.

So yes, paying guests would not have been impacted general operation of the park at all. They would have likely gone through the gate, straight to DC rivals and done their filming before 9:30am. The staff instead of starting at say 9:15 AM (due to extended hours) they would have started at 9:00am so they can do the opening checks until 9:15, then 15 mins for filming and then open at 9:30am. Worst case scenario, the ride -MAY- have been delayed by 5 mins or so but nothing major at all.

• Like 5

Too bad they didn’t go on many slides she should have just done it anyway and not let fear stop her. Glad they thought the park was nice. I found it funny how interested he was with a half pipe coaster haha. The thing I find with lots of enthusiasts is they don’t really care much for water parks and slides which I think is kinda silly because slides can be really fun too. I hope they have a great time at dreamworld!! 

Edited by REGIE

6 hours ago, REGIE said:

Too bad they didn’t go on many slides she should have just done it anyway and not let fear stop her. Glad they thought the park was nice. I found it funny how interested he was with a half pipe coaster haha. The thing I find with lots of enthusiasts is they don’t really care much for water parks and slides which I think is kinda silly because slides can be really fun too. I hope they have a great time at dreamworld!! 

Speaking in extreme generalities here – water slides tend to be more or less the same experience wherever you happen to be, whereas coasters are much more likely to be unique layouts or have different theming.

I challenge anyone out there to say one ProSlide Tornado is a materially different experience to another ProSlide Tornado.

I enjoy water parks but I very rarely bother with them. If I want the water park experience, I can go to an indoor one close to where I live; I don't need to travel half way across the world for that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Noxegon said:

Speaking in extreme generalities here – water slides tend to be more or less the same experience wherever you happen to be, whereas coasters are much more likely to be unique layouts or have different theming.

I challenge anyone out there to say one ProSlide Tornado is a materially different experience to another ProSlide Tornado.

I enjoy water parks but I very rarely bother with them. If I want the water park experience, I can go to an indoor one close to where I live; I don't need to travel half way across the world for that.

I guess slides can have different layouts, and some are much better than others. Re Tornados for example, the ones at Jamberoo are a genuine step up from the one at WnW.

With water parks, I'll make an effort if it's a slide type I haven't done before, or if the park has particularly nice theming or a unique setting.

Within Australia, I'd go to most water parks "Because I can".

Overseas, where I'm more limited for time, I'll pick and choose.

Thinking back to the ones I've visited overseas.

-Wild Wadi: Because of all the interconnected masterblasters

-Wet n Wild Orlando: A few of the slides had some interesting theming, particularly Disco H2O

-Typhoon Lagoon: Because it's Disney, and for the theming.

-Aquatica: Wanted to try out the transparent slides through the dolphin tank, and they had just installed a Proslide Topsy Turvy.

-Splashin Safari: At the time had one of the first TornadoWaves, and of course Wildebeest and Mammoth water coasters.

-Carowinds: They have those really large threatening looking turbo tunnels, and I'd always wanted to do one.

-Galaxy Erding: Heaps of unique Wiegand and Klarer slides, including the infamous Ski Jump slide.

-Miramar:  Had a double looping water slide, a rather savage drop slide, and a few quirky ones with special elements.

-Kokpunkten: A very cool setting

-Super Aqua Club: Had the worlds only rocket blast / flying saucer at the time.

Otherwhise, a lot of the more generic SF Hurricane Harbour parks I wouldn't bother with since they have the same slides as within Australia.

There are still a few I'd like to visit overseas, notably Atlantis, Siam Park and that one in Qatar and probably Soaky Mountain. Would go out of my way to try a Slidewheel too.

• Like 3