Luna parks wooden wild mouse future

REGIE

Maybe we'll see some Wild Moose models popping up soon. A good-sized plot has been cleared at Camp Snoopy at Knott's Berry Farm - that's a possibility, and it's sufficiently different from Coast Rider on the other side of the park, time will tell.

I also wonder if Sydney Zoo would look at installing some permanent rides, maybe have a Camp Snoopy style kid's area. 

Soon we'll see if LP meant late summer as in Jan/Feb 2024 or December 2024 for the refurb.

• Like 2

On 23/8/2023 at 8:31 AM, Gobbledok said:

This new wild mouse would be a great opportunity for highly themed compact coaster along the lines of raging spirits at disney but actually being a good coaster at the same thing

Maybe mine cart style in western area at movieworld

I think another wild mouse style coaster would be pretty pointless... given you have Scooby Doo. I'd rather see something different. After Flash and WOO I'd like to see Movie World stay away from coasters for a bit and get some filler rides in like some flat rides to round out the park. Something reliable at least, cause the park only has 1 flat ride (Batwing). And I'm not counting doomsday, because that requires it to actually be operational.

On 26/08/2023 at 1:00 PM, Spotty said:

I think another wild mouse style coaster would be pretty pointless... given you have Scooby Doo. I'd rather see something different. After Flash and WOO I'd like to see Movie World stay away from coasters for a bit and get some filler rides in like some flat rides to round out the park. Something reliable at least, cause the park only has 1 flat ride (Batwing). And I'm not counting doomsday, because that requires it to actually be operational.

Other than the footprint, what makes it a mouse though?

I'm a purist I guess, and a mouse for me is something with 2 or 4 person cars, and has a zigzag section followed by a few drops.

Meanwhile the RMC thing has an actual train and a twister layout.

Yeah, that's moreso what I meant. It's kinda being pitched as a wild mouse replacement. If Movie World was to get yet another coaster (and by RMC) this is not the design I'd want for the park. Although after WOO I really think Movie World will have a damn good collection and needs to spend time rounding out the park a bit more. If Dreamworld wasn't about to get Jungle Rush this might have been a good fit. I'd love to see a park like Gumbuya World or maybe even Jamberoo or Magic Mountain invest in something like this though.

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

Although after WOO I really think Movie World will have a damn good collection and needs to spend time rounding out the park a bit more

Agree, much as most thoosies won't like it - the park is getting really coaster top-heavy and needs more filler. We said this when they announced Doomsday and sadly that's not helped the way we'd hoped, but there was a time when this park was a full day park even on the quietest of days, because the shows and attractions literally took you all day to do. These days the park is jammed with people, and most attractions take less than 2 minutes to experience, so if everything was a walkon you could be out by lunchtime.

Here's the park I remember and love:

IMG_0651.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 2

On 31/8/2023 at 8:19 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Agree, much as most thoosies won't like it - the park is getting really coaster top-heavy and needs more filler. We said this when they announced Doomsday and sadly that's not helped the way we'd hoped, but there was a time when this park was a full day park even on the quietest of days, because the shows and attractions literally took you all day to do. These days the park is jammed with people, and most attractions take less than 2 minutes to experience, so if everything was a walkon you could be out by lunchtime.

Here's the park I remember and love:

IMG_0651.jpeg

Not gonna lie, I'd love to take that park and have a few of the modern additions added to it such as WWF, Road Runner, Superman and DC Rivals ontop of this. Honestly the park would be amazing if they existed with the older attraction mix. As much as I love Scooby, having Gremlins and Tunes + Batride all together would just be amazing with the added thrill coasters + west (before the shambles it's become now with the new boats etc)

• Like 3

Yeah it seems so bazar to see it dismantled like this after so many years of being there. I wonder if they are going to use some of the original wood still or just take measurements and go all new stuff.  I imagine some beams would be reused .  Most of the bolts would have been rusted and probably had to be gridded to get it apart.  In saying that though, in all the close up photos I can find it looks like they have been kept in good condition .  Very few look like they are rusted in place . It was definitely well looked after.  It’s just odd for such a reconstruction when , from the outside at least it looked in decent condition.  It must have been worse then it looked.

They did a lengthy refurb in 2022 (if memory serves me right) and then it opened for a few months, and was closed by Halloscream last year, so there must have been some complications. As mentioned in this thread previously, they do have heritage regulations to meet. I'd be very curious about the specifics, do they have to retain every part of the structure that isn't compromised for instance. 

Heritage standards are actually quite detailed, but they make allowance for the fact that nothing lasts forever. While this relates to buildings rather than rollercoasters i'm sure many of the principles remain the same:

Heritage maintenance: Timber repairs - Informaiton sheet 5.2 (nsw.gov.au)

And of the day they recognise that timber may need to be replaced from time to time to keep the structure safe and standing, there's just guides on doing it the right way.

Wooden coasters need their wood replaced all the time. Track, supports, etc. That's just how they work, it's a part of the maintenance. Wild Mouse is very old so some bits are going to need to be replaced, others restored, it won't impact on the heritage listing.

Given parts of the ride are getting re-tracked I'd imagine Luna Park's either still got the plans for the wild mouse somewhere (when they bought it back from the fairgrounds) and are getting track custom built according to those plans or has studied the ride enough to make an exact 1 to 1 replica of the track.

Edited by Baconjack

• 1 month later...

Checked the mouse out going up the Hair raiser yesterday. No real change to previous photos people have put up.

On a side note, Halloscream has regressed significantly from last year (which was excellent) - I guess cutbacks were necessary to improve profitability, and freeing up the big top for events (rather than mazes) makes sense. The performers were killing it though.

Got a new season pass yesterday, and they told me you can tap your pass at rides now rather than getting a wristband - didn't try it out because they gave me a wristband when I purchased an AP anyway.

Edited by downunder

23 hours ago, downunder said:

Got a new season pass yesterday, and they told me you can tap your pass at rides now rather than getting a wristband - didn't try it out because they gave me a wristband when I purchased an AP anyway.

Can confirm this method works very well. On my previous visit, my wristband was acting up quite a bit, so I decided to try scanning my AP, and worked like a charm. Is very quick as well, and is going to be my go-to choice from now on. Skipping the queue (if any) at the AP desk is a plus too.

• Like 2