What other parks in Japan should I go to?

What park?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Nagashima Spa Land or Hirakata Park

• Nagashima Spa Land
    • Hirakata Park

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/06/24 at 12:30 PM

As you heard a bit ago, me and my family are planning to go to Japan in late 2025/2026. Some updates on that: we have planned to go to Universal but have cut out Disney as one saw the long lengths in the queue to get in. Instead, we are looking at another park to go closer to Osaka. After doing some research via RCDB, we have found two options to be the other park alongside Universal:

Nagashima Spaland or Hirakata Park:

HIRAKATA PARK

Pros:

• Multiple thrill coasters
  • Actually in Osaka/Only 48 minutes
  • Likely less busy than the other options
  • Intamin Woody
  • Explore more of Osaka

Cons:

• Less coasters
  • No RMC or Giga
  • Also Wild Mouse at Nagashima

NAGASHIMA SPA LAND

Pros:

• Most amount of coasters in Japan
  • Second tallest coaster outside of US
  • RMC 
  • One of only 4 Schwarzkopf Looping Stars and one of only 10 Shuttle Loops
  • Explore the area around the park

Cons:

• Longer to get to and most likely busier (1h 56m)
  • Also a flying coaster at USJ
  • May be too tall for Steel Dragon 2000

Which one would you recommend?

10 hours ago, TBoy said:

we have planned to go to Universal but have cut out Disney as one saw the long lengths in the queue to get in

There are people on here who have more experience visiting these parks, but from my experience, both Universal and Disney can be just as busy as each other and there can be just as long of queues to get into Universal (Disneys queues just make good content online because of the vantage points you can get on the entrance).

If you’re visiting Universal, you should definitely invest in Fast Pass because it’s near impossible to get on a decent amount of rides without it. When I visited, Flying Dinosaur had just opened, but there was a 5 hour general queue and with Fast Pass it still took about 40 minutes (which is obviously significantly better, but just for perspective).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, themagician said:

If you’re visiting Universal, you should definitely invest in Fast Pass because it’s near impossible to get on a decent amount of rides without it. When I visited, Flying Dinosaur had just opened, but there was a 5 hour general queue and with Fast Pass it still took about 40 minutes (which is obviously significantly better, but just for perspective).

Yes, that is what we are planning to do, get the 7 Ride Pass with SNW, Harry Potter, Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood Dream. We have also talked about staying at The Park Hotel the night before and queueing up at 5/5:30 as the queues get very busy based on videos we have watched, then quickly speedwalk to SNW before the crowds come.

P.S Any tips for anyone who has been to Nagashima about the queues etc?

Edited by TBoy

15 hours ago, TBoy said:

we have planned to go to Universal but have cut out Disney as one saw the long lengths in the queue to get in

Those long queues to get in clear very fast, and you’ll be met with equally long queues on entry at USJ.

Difference is once you are in DL/DS it’s so large the crowds kind of disperse and it doesn’t seem as busy except for parade times and the marquee rides, whereas USJ is just nuts busy, always. 

I personally wouldn't consider doing any other park over TDL/DS other than USJ. 

For USJ as magician said, express passes are a must, they sell out super fast as well so you need to be ready to purchase 2 months out. 

Park front hotel is fantastic and at the gate and plenty of food options. Zero need to be there at 5:30 mate. 7-7:30am is fine and will get you into SNW before timed access starts, allowing you to use the timed access with your express passes later for a second entry. Technically could get a 3rd as well through the app. 

The reason we are picking USJ over TDL/TDS is because my family doesn't think waiting that long is worth it "to take pictures of Mickey and Minnie". Also Space Mountain will be closed for refurb, and I don't want to miss out on that. My family also looked at the Fantasyland dark rides and thought "they all look the same"

And we only have a limited time there so can only pick one or the other, so we decided to pick USJ as there is Mario, Jurrasic Park, Harry Potter etc. and for me there are Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood Dream, which would likely be my first B&Ms. 

And as Nagashima is closer we could make our way out there, as a thrill junkie I would like that as I would get my first RMC, first (and likely only) Giga/longest coaster in the world, as well as the rare Looping Star (only 4 operating). Also there is only 3 Togo Ultratwisters worldwide which Nagashima has one. 

We go next week. We've been up to our eyeballs in research for the past year. 

The one consistent thing we've come across is people underestimating what Disney has to offer.

17 hours ago, TBoy said:

my family doesn't think waiting that long is worth it "to take pictures of Mickey and Minnie"

Followed by people who have actually been 

18 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I personally wouldn't consider doing any other park over TDL/DS other than USJ. 

Everyone i've spoken to who has been says the park (TDS) is unmissable. Everyone.

TDRExplorer did a video a few weeks back showing the morning crowds, and with timestamps he did a few loops of the monorail to show just how quickly all those crowds dispersed. Universal has the same crowds, but it is made worse by the fact that they don't open at the hour advertised.

20 hours ago, TBoy said:

queueing up at 5/5:30 as the queues get very busy based on videos we have watched

See this part just doesn't make sense. Your family think the queues at Disney are too much, but you're planning to get to Universal that early... SMH.

• Like 1

My family and I went 4 years ago, if it was up to me, I’d be choosing to go to DisneySea over USJ and Disney Land. Universal was by far the busiest theme park out of all of them. Similar to say how shoulder to shoulder Movie world gets in holiday period x100.

DisneySea was hands down amazing, the theming, the rides were second to none. USJ is great and has wicked rides like the Flying Dinosaur and Spider-Man, but it’s far to busy to really enjoy everything they have to offer. 

48 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Everyone i've spoken to who has been says the park (TDS) is unmissable. Everyone.

And it absolutely is. And with unique and remarkable rides like Beauty & the Beast and Pooh’s Hunny Hunt, so too is TDL. 

38 minutes ago, Ash said:

USJ is great and has wicked rides like the Flying Dinosaur and Spider-Man, but it’s far to busy to really enjoy everything they have to offer. 

Flying Dino is probably my favourite coaster in the world (granted I have not done a coaster trip of the US). Spider-Man was so good too, such a shame it is now closed forever. I’ll always be grateful the timing of our time meant we got to ride it before closure (as well as Space Mountain at TDL)

18 hours ago, TBoy said:

we decided to pick USJ as there is Mario, Jurrasic Park, Harry Potter etc. and for me there are Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood Dream, which would likely be my first B&Ms. 

While I agree with everyone in saying that Disney would too be my first choice as their Japan parks are probably the best in the world (DisneySea is in a league of its own being probably one of the best theme parks in the world). And while Disney does have its classic dark rides, it has so much to offer and has some rides that you can’t find anywhere else in the world.

However, if you and your group would rather more exciting thrill rides and appreciate the thrill more than the theming, then Universal is the way to go. Not to knock Universals theming because the Wizarding World is insane and all of the rides have been done very well, however Disney just takes it to the next level.

18 hours ago, TBoy said:

Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood Dream, which would likely be my first B&Ms. 

These were my first B&Ms too. Flying Dinosaur is an absolute must, I’d pick this ride over anything else in the park because of how insane it is. Hollywood Dream is fun, but if the queue is too long (even with Fast Track) I’d prioritise other things first because I didn’t find it anything amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Flying Dino is probably my favourite coaster in the world (granted I have not done a coaster trip of the US). Spider-Man was so good too, such a shame it is now closed forever. I’ll always be grateful the timing of our time meant we got to ride it before closure (as well as Space Mountain at TDL)

Yeah that is one of the bad things about our timing, both Space Mountain and Spider-Man is closed (but hopefully the Spider-Man replacement is up and running by mid-2026 (rumours currently it will be the same layout as Spider-Man but Pokemon))

These were my first B&Ms too. Flying Dinosaur is an absolute must, I’d pick this ride over anything else in the park because of how insane it is. Hollywood Dream is fun, but if the queue is too long (even with Fast Track) I’d prioritise other things first because I didn’t find it anything amazing.

I will probably try to get in Super Nintendo World quickly before the big crowds come in, as I heard it is even more busy there. If I get the right express pass however I can get SNW, Harry Potter, Flying Dinosaur and Hollywood Dream (although that is one of the bad parts, you cant pick the rides you want to skip)

However, if you and your group would rather more exciting thrill rides and appreciate the thrill more than the theming, then Universal is the way to go. Not to knock Universals theming because the Wizarding World is insane and all of the rides have been done very well, however Disney just takes it to the next level.

One of the reasons we are picking Universal is because it is a mix of both. Disney has lots of theming but not enough thrill rides, and Nagashima has lots of thrill rides but not much theming. Universal has a mix of both. As said before we only have a limited time and the people who I am going with are GP and want to do things other than just parks.

Maybe I can come back when Space Mountain is back open at a later date, but that would be one of the highlights of my trip and as that is closed I will probably wait.

Yeah Nagashima is better than Hirakata for sure. Much bigger lineup. Everything except elf was mediocre at Hirikata i felt.

If lines are a worry, you can purchase timed one shot express passes from vending machines at the front of each ride. Be aware rides can close before park closing time in order to clear the queue.

I was caught out and missed a re ride on hakugei.

Re Disney, how long have you got in Tokyo?

Can you just go there yourself one of the days and visit Disneysea?

Having just come back from a trip to Japan in march and been to spa land, and universal I would agree nagashima is the better park. Also it’s cheap to enjoy all the rides, 10 dollars to skip the que. I also agree that flying dinosaur is one of the best coasters I’ve been on. If it’s busy go singles. When I was there it was saying 150 minutes normal line and 120 minutes singles but we got on in about 45 in singles que.  

I haven't done Hirakata Park before so cant comment on it, but I'd make the mission out to Nagashima. Hakugei is my number 1, and I think Steel Dragon gets overly criticised compared to other Gigas, its insane. If you get a reasonably quiet (and not windy) day its a great park. Been twice, longest I waited was 45 mins for Hakugei, skip the lines available if needed.

Second what others are saying, the queues for Disney and Universal are pretty similar, in my experience Universal was probably worse. Disney are much better at theming the queues too, much less cattlepen feeling. If thrills are the only concern, go universal, but I'd strongly suggest checking DisneySea at least.

Also depending how many days you have in Tokyo, try spare an hour at Tokyo Dome City and get Thunder Dolphin and Panic Coaster. Stupidly easy to get to from the metro lines, every time I've gone Thunder dolphin hasn't had a queue. 

• Like 1

Doing an identical trip end of this year actually so starting to pull it all together at the moment.

Been to USJ before - a fast pass (or whatever they call it) is a must-have as lines get ridiculously long (especially on flying dinosaur and minion mayhem), and you basically need one to do anything in Harry Potter or Nintendo. Will be going there again on this trip as well, as I missed out on Jaws and hollywood dream backwards last time and Nintendo was being built, and really want to see that land in person.

Gonna do 3 days at Disney & disneysea too (1 at disney, two at sea). I'm assuming whatever fast pass system they have is a requirement - if anyone's visited feel free to chuck me a reply.

Will also take a quick trip to Tokyo Dome and Joypolis while i'm around Tokyo, and do day trips at Yomiuriland (because bandit seems too good to miss), and Nagashima and Fuji Q which i think all three are open in december, and that should be plenty of new credits for me.

Edited by Baconjack

You can do way, way better.

Firstly it'd be a good idea to let us know how many days total you've got up your sleeve, how big your group is, what the mix is (all enthusiasts etc.) and where you're travelling. If you go to Japan just for theme parks you're doing yourself a disservice - it's one of the most gorgeous places in the world in terms of landscapes, people, culture etc. and if you were to go to Hirakata Park over spending a day in Kyoto you'd be doing Japan dead wrong.

Secondly, it's not all about coasters. Don't be a credit-whore, it'll become a disservice to your trip because stats don't matter, experiences DO, and Tokyo Disney Resort is one of the best experiences you'll ever have in your life. DisneySea in particular is the best theme park in the world and I'll happily die on that hill. If you're an enthusiast and you don't go to DisneySea, you're not an enthusiast, it's that simple.

You can do one day at each Disney park and be very satisfied. Again, take the "there needs to be credits" hat off and put the "I love great experiences, especially at theme parks hat on" and I promise you your trip will get a ton better as a whole.

If you can't take the credit hat off and you need to do something that's not USJ/TDS/TDL, the two heavy hitters are Nagashima Spa Land and Fuji-Q Highlands. The beauty about the former is that it's on the way between Tokyo and Osaka, so if you're committed or on a tight schedule you can make it work as you travel from port to port. With the latter, it's next to some sublime natural beauty (Mount Fuji, Fujiyoshida, Fuji five lakes etc.) and is also home to Eejanaika, which should be the #1 coaster to get whenever you visit Japan. Not doing Eejanaika and going to Hirakata Park would be a crime.

Again, this is all depends on how long you've got, but think of the above as your "first time must-do's". If you have more time, or come back again on a second trip, Parque Espana (beautiful place in the world, Pyrenees is there too), Tobu Zoo (Intamin Megalite with t-bars, 10/10), Studio Ghibil Park (stunning and gorgeous), Yomiuiriland (near Tokyo and filled with classics) and Yokohama Cosmoworld (good vibes) are probably all parks I'd consider visiting before Hirakata Park. You've also got Thunder Dolphin at Tokyo Dome and Gekion Live Coaster at Joypolis to checkout whilst in Tokyo too.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 11:59 AM, Slick said:

If you go to Japan just for theme parks you're doing yourself a disservice - it's one of the most gorgeous places in the world in terms of landscapes, people, culture etc. and if you were to go to Hirakata Park over spending a day in Kyoto you'd be doing Japan dead wrong.

This is absolutely correct and can’t stress this enough (having  been there once and now doing it as a first solo trip of any kind)

For reference, I’m going for about 2 weeks, so probably about 30% of the trip I’m doing will be at parks. Lots of places around that I haven’t visited (Kyoto is one of them) and chuck in a couple of good bush walks and you’re pretty much set. I love parks but Japan is different to let’s say Orlando so will go to the key spots I haven’t yet seen and really soak it in - you only live once and I might never be back there again.

Other parks that have interesting credits id do on a return trip, the only reason I can fit yomiuriland in is that it’s close to Tokyo (and could do it in a morning), and you can fit in Tokyo dome city and Joypolis within an afternoon. Disney & disneysea, universal, Fuji q and nagashima are all my non negotiables and I’m happy sticking to those as that’s 5 days, already quite a bit.

Edited by Baconjack

I'Il be in Japan on June 7th for 23 days. It'll be our 4th trip to Japan, we've done a lot of parks plenty of times (Disney, Universal, etc) but have yet to visit to Fuji Q or Nagashima Spa Land, any tips for visiting both with regards to public transport? I'm good with trains but when it comes to buses I've never attempted to take one and it's something of a source of anxiety which is why we skipped Fuji Q on our previous 3 trips. This'll be our first time in Nagoya so Nagashima is pretty much locked in, even if we have to taxi to the park, but is Legoland Nagoya worth a visit too? Not from an 'enthusiast' point of view just from something that's fun to do?

Fuji Q is quicker by coach because its up in the mountains, and the bus goes via expressways, whereas the train winds all over the place, costs more and you have to change trains along the way.

I got a bus from the Shinjuku Expressway Bus station

Get the Q-Pack ticket which includes entry and the bus transfer. 

https://highway-buses.jp/ticket/q-pack.php

I reserved through above link, and then picked up my tickets and paid for them the night before. Get the earliest coach you can on the way up. For the return trip, one shortly after closing is fine because they shut the queues well before park closing to clear them out!

For Nagashima, nearest station is Kuwana, you can bus or taxi from there.

But I just got a driect bus from the Meitetsu bus station (next to the main station in Nagoya)

https://www.sanco.co.jp/highway/naganagoya/root-1