2 new rides for Dreamworld in 2011

GoGoBoy

Speaking of the Goldrush coaster at Rainbows End... I just had a look at a POV video of it on Youtube. This ride actually looks decent! Both the coaster track and log flume seem to be really well planned and cleverly integrated into the park. The track goes over water, through tunnels, over trees. They've done a really nice job! And actual theming (the smoke still seems to be working!... you can't even say that for Movie World). And also a decent pace. I hate to compare it to Dreamworld's Motocoaster again but seriously if Rainbows End can build a coaster that's 1 million times better than Motocoaster, then DW really needs to sort themselves out. Their chance has come with these new rides - let's hope they don't disappoint. POV of Goldrush -

Edited by GoGoBoy

I don't think anything too extravagant (if it is a coaster) can be built for the family ride considering the time left. Who knows though, could turn out really good. Hopefully this investment can have some flow on effects and we see movie world add something big to compete. :)

Well i can confirm that one of the rides will be a midi disk 'o' kids ride

Well that kinda sucks. For some reason I had a strong feeling they'd go with a Disk 'o'. Kind of a cheap and crappy ride if you ask me. Plus they are quite commonplace now - especially on the travelling circuit. Dreamworld could have done better. Well at least the Disk 'o' is not going to be the major thrill ride - something I was fearing might happen

So that means they're just going to have basically the same thing that Aussie World got... I'm sorry but I don't see this as a good investment, I mean now they'll just be two of the same rides 2 hours away from each other and I feel sorry for Aussie World who are trying to grow and get people to go to them with different offerings and now they have the same ride as DW but DW is a lot bigger!! So the thrill ride in Gold Rush will incorporate the chairlift station and bus station and their is a lot of work going on in there and people are saying a ride in their.... Gazza it wouldn't happen to be your ride design you put up here a few months ago?? :P Hell if we got that I would be extremely impressed, but I don't think that would come in the budget!! But I am intrigued now to see what the final product will be when it opens because atm Gold Rush really does need some love!! :)

And can I just say that this does NOT class as a coaster

Funny thing is - I just said that to the employee who told us about it. :S Im doubting the thrill ride now. Maybe they thought it was a coaster because it was on tracks? Edit: The Disk'O coaster - it's a coaster; right??? Hmmm... maybe. But I doubt it. The constructed on is approx. 58m long. It could probably fit one in. Edited by Bmull19

I'm no expert but Dreamworld and Aussie World probably would have planned this at about the same time, since their arriving at about the same time! Because I could understand that they were planning this and as luck would have it Aussie World was planning one at the same time and its just a case of bad luck??!!?? Not DW seeing what Aussie World was doing and decided to do the same, at least I hope not!! I'm thinking its similiar to how WnW got Tornado and not much later WWW got the Green Room

Hi All I think their has been a spelling mistake on that council application. I could not find any information on Midi Disk 'O', however I did find information on Mini Disk 'O'. Which is a mini version of it and made for small kid's from about 4 up, I would guess. Sorry if I am not allowed to link sites, let me know and I will remove the link. This is a video of the Mini Disk 'O' that I found on youtube.

The makers philippines web site has it listed too: http://zamperla.ph/productitem.php?pid=104 So I think it will a mini disk 'O' and not the miss spelt Midi Disk 'O', as it is going into the kids area. Bye

AND I'm pretty sure 'Midi' is the digital interface for the ride.

They use rides to make music now? Sounds very Monsters Inc. to me... "MIDI ( /ˈmɪdi/; Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is an industry-standard protocol that enables electronic musical instruments (synthesizers, drum machines), computers and other electronic equipment (MIDI controllers, sound cards, samplers) to communicate and synchronize with each other. " Edited by jjuttp

Hi All I think their has been a spelling mistake on that council application. I could not find any information on Midi Disk 'O', however I did find information on Mini Disk 'O'. Which is a mini version of it and made for small kid's from about 4 up, I would guess. Sorry if I am not allowed to link sites, let me know and I will remove the link. This is a video of the Mini Disk 'O' that I found on youtube.

The makers philippines web site has it listed too: http://zamperla.ph/p...tem.php?pid=104 So I think it will a mini disk 'O' and not the miss spelt Midi Disk 'O', as it is going into the kids area. Bye
If that is seriously it then... -_- Like, I'm not saying that because I'm a thrill junkie and I want an "insane" junior attraction but come on Dreamworld! Firstly, installing the same attraction as a park 2 hours away and ALSO something as small and I guess pointless as that, I don't see why... These two new attractions are meant to be an investment to strengthen attendance etc etc but I can't imagine ANYONE making a return visit or visiting Dreamworld instead of Movie World because of this. If that really is the case, then I think the money would have been better spent on the thrill ride alone, something which I'm sure will increase attendance and if successful draw people away from Movie World and into DW. Edited by Linus1995

I'm just so disappointed with this. I was hoping DW had learnt their lesson in regards to ride selection. Ardent Leisure claimed that they were embarking on a '3 year Board approved capital expenditure plan'. This suggests to me spending that is above and beyond the normal. But so far this has not been the case. When I think about the opportunity the bosses had when they sat down with those ride catalogues, it kills me that a Disk 'o' is what they chose. They could have come up with something far superior and far more interesting than this, surely. I guess it must be REALLY cheap and that may have made the decision for them. I guess that's why Rainbows End in New Zealand and Aussie World has one too, because it's affordable. Such a pity. Let's hope it is at least well themed and presented

What's this supposed to be though? The rumour is for a family attraction and a thrill ride. Surely this would be the 'family friendly' attraction? If so, sweet! Disk'Os are by and large well reviewed, seem interesting enough, and just have that all round good ride vibe to them; remember not every ride has to be a world beater. Having said that, if it turns out that this is the rumoured thrill ride for this year, I too will be questioning DW's ride selection skills. The thought of this and Motocoaster making up a 'Big 7 thrill rides' list does turn my stomach a bit. Edit: Also, Mini Disk'O = LOL!

Edited by joz

I can assure you that it is not a mini disk-o. It is a mega, not sure what the "midi" stands for in the application.

Well a mega disk 'o' would not be classified as a kids ride would it? as per the DA approval? Either they are lying to GC Council or you dont know yourself. Oh, and if it is a mega and that is the 'thrill' ride - well that'll just about do me

They're not scary. A mega isn't really "big". They're quite a slowish ride IMO, and a step down from The Claw, Wipeout and other true thrill rides. It'd be on a par with the Angry Beavers Spooty Spin ride. A good (filler) attraction but I would hope for some theming/plantation, not just a random concrete slab and a fence. And Brad, have you actually been on a "mega" disk'o? :/

Edited by ash.1111

I guess it must be REALLY cheap and that may have made the decision for them. I guess that's why Rainbows End in New Zealand and Aussie World has one too, because it's affordable.

Rainbows End got a Disk'O coaster. One up from the Mega. Two up from Aussie World's Redback.

Well a mega disk 'o' would not be classified as a kids ride would it? as per the DA approval? Either they are lying to GC Council or you dont know yourself.

According to Zamperla, a standard Disk'O is a "tweener ride". A Mega Disk'O is slightly larger (taller and longer) version which can have a higher capacity (1000pph instead of 600pph). If Dreamworld are getting the 1000pph mega version over the standard one that's great because they have thought about capacity.

A good (filler) attraction but I would hope for some theming/plantation, not just a random concrete slab and a fence.

If it's on the Nickelodeon Central side I think I'd expect an Avatar Airbender theme. If it's on the Ocean Paradse side I'd expect a weak surfing theme (if anything).

Edit: Also, Mini Disk'O = LOL!

Want! The midi disko should be the family ride purely for the cuteness factor. Bmull, it's not a coaster, but I think yes some people might call it one because it's on tracks...it's sort of like how some people think of super tubes at WWW as a coaster because it goes up and down like one, but of course it's not. A disk o coaster ( large one like at Rainbows End) doesn't count as a coaster either because it's a power ride and doesn't freewheel under gravity .

It's always handy that DW submit their DAs through GCCC rather than private firms like MW does so the keen enthusiast can see what theyre up to :) I think a Disk O is a GREAT addition to Dreamworld. And it's kind of smart, means Gold Coasters have NO reason to go up to Aussie World to ride the Disk O and can instead go to dreamworld and in park spend instead :) As far as the other ride, I'd be 99.9% sure its a family friendly coaster, thrilling but not too over the top and that it will go in the Gold Rush area and be clearly visible from the car park when finished...

Edited by djrappa