Green Lantern Coaster

joz

Last weekend the early opening was completely understandable given the predicted weather conditions. Had a tough decision though as to if I should dump my non VIP Gold friend and ride before him but opted instead to wait it out with the help of Superman. Great to see the park opening attractions early to help with the number of people there early.

I haven't had a chance to check out Green Lantern since the 23rd (the first and only day I've ridden it - I rode it 4 times), but from what I've heard it hasn't had a lot of luck (from what I've heard on the forums and at work). There's been quite a few mentions of it being shut on certain days (like most of today).

Haven't been on it at all and although yes I understand the wearing in period I don't remember SDSC even being this bad after its "official opening" date. Definately think I will be waiting until a few months after our new arrival so we can do character photos and the family type thing. Meaning we won't be there until September so hopefully all the kinks will have been sorted. :huh:

I think it's a bit unfair to lump GL into a 'cloned' El Loco category, and then class Superman Escape as a one-of-a-kind accelerator. Does Superman have unique elements? Of course it does - the dark ride section was commented on by the TPR crew on their recent visit. But - from launch to brake run, is it that different, other than the specific layout of this one? In the same vein - Green Lantern also has unique elements - 4 across seating, on board audio and pulsing LED lights, an apparently 'steeper' first drop, and a reduction on trimming compared to previous el locos. I'm not 100% and i'm at work so can't do too much in the way of fact-checking, but aren't the restraints a little different to previous models also? You also need to consider the 'old vs. new' argument. Look at GL - all bright green, and glossy black, shiny in the sunlight... and compare to superman - a rather tired drab and faded red track... Superman is old news - Green Lantern is something new, and different. From the general public's point of view: * 4 across seating that isn't mounted directly over the track * nothing over the shoulder to keep you in - oh my god, i'm going to fall out! * on board audio (if you can hear it) * a 'drop' steeper than 90 degrees... not an inversion - but a drop... * cars that light up, whilst ON TRACK! These are all unique, australian first points about an el loco - that whilst the rest of the world might consider it to be a few small minor changes to an already plentiful coaster type, the majority of the domestic market are going 'WOW - SOMETHING NEW that we've NEVER SEEN BEFORE! *Disclaimer - i've written most of this from memory. I can't say all the facts are correct. I don't really have time to research and fact check at work, so if i'm wrong, apologies, but to the best of my knowledge - all of the above is true.

^ Movieworld announced that GL would be closed for unplanned maintenance yesterday and today. Hopefully the thing won't break down every 5 minutes after the work is done... Funnily they're still getting complaints from the public "Well you should have sorted it out before opening! You know nothing about marketing ect ect" Those idiots just dont understand coasters at all.

people were blocking the ride today i was there

Ah, I guess thats the coasters block system it action :P Anway, the point of this post is to say that people thought Buzzsaw was the best in Aus too when it opened (Including some enthusiasts). Do people still think that. Any new coaster is going to be novel and loved by guest, especially one like GL which is comfortable and has basically nothing wrong with it. Give it a couple of years, and everything settles down again.

I think that superman has started to fade away into the background mainly just because of the rides position. GL is now the first ride you see as you enter the carpark where as it used to be superman. I honestly think that superman is the better and more original of the two. I reckon if you give it a year or so you won't feel the same way about GL.

I just find it kind of sad Superman is being forgotten when it really is an amazing coaster.

I wouldn't say superman is being forgotten - one only has to look at it's queue's to realise this. For a lot of the public - at this point, Green Lantern is the best - and mainly because it's the new kid on the block. I draw the analogy of the family with a dog, that buys a new puppy... For some, the novelty will wear off, and they will still decide SE is their favourite. My partner has now ridden almost everything at every park, and her favourite is sea viper (I don't know why). At the end of the day - as you say - it's all subject to opinion - so for the same reason that you still think superman is great and fantastic and better than a 'fancy' el loco, so to do others think that SE is just another 'fancy' accelerator, and that GL is the best thing since wonderbread.

I finally rode GL today. I was quite impressed. The first time was in the rain which made it even better and the second was just as good. Quite long wait times though. I also noticed that one cart was off the track and that some workers were trying to fix it. Some ignorant people on board as well because they had to open up the harnesses twice because some idiot had stuff in his pockets :rolleyes:

Great ride.. incredibly annoying queue theming. If it were just the soundtrack it'd be fine, maybe with a vocal every 10 minutes. Having the same line play near continuously when you're waiting 30 minutes for a ride is not at all fun.. About the theming, despite it being annoying I was pretty disappointed it had already been vandalised.. with the tooth of Parallax having been ripped off. This is why we can't have nice things =(. Anyway, as a member of the "general public", I rate it (in the front right seat of course) immediately below superman, and above any other coaster on the GC. For my visit the light on a few cars only partially lit up, and there was no sound in the seat. TBH I found this a little disappointing for a couple of months in, and hope they get on top of these technical issues... a bit concerned that a few years down the line nothing will be working. Still, a great coaster. Looks nicely intimidating in it's front most position with the green lantern logo lit up =).

Edited by mania

Great ride.. incredibly annoying queue theming. If it were just the soundtrack it'd be fine, maybe with a vocal every 10 minutes. Having the same line play near continuously when you're waiting 30 minutes for a ride is not at all fun.. About the theming, despite it being annoying I was pretty disappointed it had already been vandalised.. with the tooth of Parallax having been ripped off. This is why we can't have nice things =(.

They wouldn't have to worry about it if they actually put the money into the theming instead of going to the 2 dollar shop to buy their theming. This also applies for Dreamworld. As the reason their stuff gets vandalised is because its so easy to do. When you look at the US parks their theming is solid and doesn't allow for it to be vandalised.

Luckily, Movieworld have listened to complaints and are reducing the queue audio to every 5 minutes. That's what the dippin dots guy said anyway ;) And yeah, I saw Parallax's tooth was ripped off. I know people get extremely pissed off in the sun listening to him tell you to give in to your fear, but there's no need to vandalise it. If your gunna vandalise anything make it the speakers lol

Edited by alex_1