orphan rocker opening

laurie

No... Orphan Rocker was designed for thrill. it had nothing to do with scenery - and everything to do with running down a hill to the edge of a cliff making you fear falling over the edge. The unique 'rocking' train design was also developed to further emphasise the fear factor. RWC - Orphan has been the subject of many threads and many posts on this thread over the years. We've had the hammond's on here talking directly to us several times. Believe me when I say - we know what we're talking about - especially those that have been around a while. So if you want to try and disagree with us, you're gunna have a bad time.

Oh ok. So that IS actually the purpose of it? Not the scenery aspect? No wonder it's taken ages for it to get off the ground then....

I agree DJ. They appear to not have let the structure fall to ruin and at first glance it appears pretty well maintained. Scenic World appears to be doing very good business and the fact they are continually upgrading their facilities (the new Scenic Railway train being the latest) points to a healthy and consistent business. I am sure that the Hammon's are shrewd and savy enough managers to not let their already considerable investment into Orphan Rocker go to waste. Once they decide to really focus on it, I believe that the Rocker will come to life!! I wonder if they could/would gain assistance from a recognized coaster company like Intamin or Vekoma to aid in getting Orphan Rocker open? ( Note I didn't mention Mack- don't want any rumours starting!! ) Would that be a viable route for them to take??

Edited by Jobe

Just need to point out the owners name is Hammon given people keep posting it.

Ooops my bad!! Quite correct and my posts have been edited to reflect this!! Apologies to all and to the lawful owners of the Orphan Rocker, the Hammon family!! There was an article on Orphan Rocker from around 2006 in the SMH that interviewed Anthea Hammon and basically dispelled any and all myths regarding Orphan Rocker and it's alleged "safety" issues. It's an interesting read. When I get back to my PC I 'll see if I can dig up the link!

I imagine Orphan Rocker actually would be quite thrilling in the way that you'd feel it was about to crumble at any given moment.

0713-1_Orphan-Rocker-C_006.jpg

Dat track transition. Seriously, what is going on there? I'd be extremely surprised if the ride passed modern safety standards without a recieving complete overhaul first, as Jobe suggested.

Edited by alex_1

Sorry Alex1 I didn't exactly mean that I felt the ride needed a complete overhaul. I think that the ride is in pretty good condition despite its age. It's obviously being well maintained as DJ suggested. I only suggested a coaster company come on board to maybe help overcome any difficulties that may prevent the Hammon's from opening the ride or getting it certified. Having a recognized coaster company as a consultant could expedite the Orphan Rocker's eventual opening.

After seeing it in person, one thing that struck me is the way the track was built....It didn't seem very substantial....The way the bracing is done between the spine and rails with the flattened tube and weld remands me a bit of how monkey bars are done:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/819837/thumbs/r-MONKEY-BARS-DANGEROUS-large570.jpg?6

Just struck me as pretty flimsy compared to how even kiddy coaster track looks:

To be honest, I reckon they would be better off just ripping the whole thing up and getting a proper coaster manufacturer in rather than throwing any money at it.

http://rcdb.com/4346.htm?p=36644

Thanks Jobe that was great anyway the tour guide said there getting new track not using it and he didn't announce it to the group just to me so I don't think it's to get people coming back anyway had the best time ever down there really funny bright guide saw the maintenace team it really is a great tourist attraction

Maybe the tour guide looked for the most gullible bloke in the group to have some fun with

Unless it was certainly the same bloke that was on youtube pulling some longterm stunt(yes, possible) OR doing what I usually do(spreading wild rumours), then it seems unlikely. This is the second time it's been mentioned. I think it's more likely they've just decided to "continue developing it"(as in either "say they are" OR "really develop it") so the local government(or whichever government oversees the planning permits and regulations for this place) gets the impression it's on their mind and leaves them alone(Not like that hasn't happened before) long enough till they can figure out what to actually do with it OR until they have the cash to "do it proper" and get a proper firm to finish it off.

Outside chance it's really being worked on, highly likely it's a delay ploy to keep the locals off their back(till they can really work on it, or get rid of it), or it could be a prank.

I agree with Jobe, I think they should get a proper coaster manufacturer to rework it and I think it should use Kumbak trains(which obviously would mean Kumbak as the manufacturer they should work with). Not fully redo the track(would require another lengthy build period), but go over it(fixing any issues) and make sure this doesn't turn into a construction disaster like the Southern Star Wheel was. Perhaps Kumbak working on Sea Viper and Arkham has given Scenic World some ideas? A third project in Australia?

I imagine Orphan Rocker actually would be quite thrilling in the way that you'd feel it was about to crumble at any given moment.

Meh, I get that feeling every time I ride the ole LPM Scenic Railway... and that has killed one or two people(in the 1980s). So Orphan Rocker would not be alone in that regard.

Edited by colliric_855

and that has killed one or two people(in the 1980s).

No. Just no.

highly likely it's a delay ploy

Have you read any of the articles regarding the ride, including the one Jobe posted? Last time I checked (and i've spoken to the Hammons a few times now) they're certainly a genuine bunch of people, all things considered. If I were a business owner (which I am) and even though I love roller-coasters as much as the next guy here, I'd still be putting money on ideas that would actually be marketable.

There's no ploys, no stories, no hot gossip here. It's a family business. We're still coming out of a GFC. If they ever get to it, we are going to be the luckiest bunch of enthusiasts the world over, and if not, thank god no one held their breath (although I wish some parts of the community did.)

Edited by Slick

Have you read any of the articles regarding the ride, including the one Jobe posted? Last time I checked (and i've spoken to the Hammons a few times now) they're certainly a genuine bunch of people, all things considered. If I were a business owner (which I am) and even though I love roller-coasters as much as the next guy here, I'd still be putting money on ideas that would actually be marketable. There's no ploys, no stories, no hot gossip here. It's a family business. We're still coming out of a GFC. If they ever get to it, we are going to be the luckiest bunch of enthusiasts the world over, and if not, thank god no one held their breath (although I wish some parts of the community did.)

Firstly yes it did... Secondly I agree with you.

• 1 year later...

Obviously this doesn't imply anything, but worth sharing:

Absolutely worth sharing!! And it will certainly set tongues wagging and be the genesis for some very juicy speculation!!!

Could my musings from over 2 years ago bear some truthful fruit? Time will certainly tell but I for one will be watching extremely closely!!

I agree DJ. They appear to not have let the structure fall to ruin and at first glance it appears pretty well maintained. Scenic World appears to be doing very good business and the fact they are continually upgrading their facilities (the new Scenic Railway train being the latest) points to a healthy and consistent business. I am sure that the Hammon's are shrewd and savy enough managers to not let their already considerable investment into Orphan Rocker go to waste. Once they decide to really focus on it, I believe that the Rocker will come to life!! I wonder if they could/would gain assistance from a recognized coaster company like Intamin or Vekoma to aid in getting Orphan Rocker open? ( Note I didn't mention Mack- don't want any rumours starting!! ) Would that be a viable route for them to take??

We will have to wait and see!! My guess is that Anthea Hammon talking to and looking and roller coaster manufacturers at AALARA is not a co-incidence. Although the structure of Orphan Rocker looks in poor condition, perhaps some of it could still be utilised? Either way its very exciting times and the signs that it portents for Scenic World could be quite huge!!

No reputable ride manufacturer would recommend anything other than tearing down the entire thing and starting from scratch.

As we mentioned on our Facebook page, it's also worth keeping in mind that Anthea Hammon is currently on the board of directors at AALARA. That the two crossed paths at the conference could have plenty of explanations. Of course no matter the reason for getting to know each other, there's absolutely no doubt that the question "what can Premier Rides do for Scenic World?" has been asked.

Holy crap I remember going back to scenic world in 2003 on our way out to my first Bathurst 1000 and remember some one telling me and the old man that they'll hopefully have it open to the public later that year???.

Cause I had never seen anyone on here talk about it, i'v allways thought it had been torn down bye now, still can't believe it actually never opened, and is still sitting there!?