Dreamworld - the good and the bad

liz.wis

I read a few more of the Micechat discussions on this ride, and on Knotts itself, and bringing the thread back on topic, it scarily mirrors how people are discussing Dreamworld.

Lots of "it's no longer a theme park, but an amusement park", it was so much better in the day of "this" management company, old attractions being left SBNO, etc.

*Edited because I can't string together a grammatically correct sentence this morning.

Edited by liz.wis

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really interesting discussion.

I've been a long time reader of the forum but never posted before, but one thing I have never quite understood is how maligned Dreamworld seems to be.

We have been long time travellers to the Gold Coast, before kids and now with 2 who are 9 and 7.

We enjoy all the parks but particularly Dreamworld where there seems to be so many options for rides and a lot of variety as well as the animals etc. I recall one occasion where we headed to Movieworld and became so frustrated at the lines that we left at lunch time and headed to Dreamworld and found tiny lines due to there being 3 times more rides.

We also enjoy White water world, it is no Wet n Wild but I see it more as an add-on rather than a park in its own right and in that light I think it holds up ok.

Due to height restrictions of kids and being a chicken we have never been on the rollercoaster, claw, GD or Buzzsaw but they look pretty cool.

I admit to being a theme park nuffie, I have learnt a lot on this forum but have to google plenty to understand the coaster speak so perhaps DW doesn't have the appeal to the real theme park aficionado but to the average punter is a pretty good option?

I just expressed similar sentiments on another thread.

My family and I always enjoy Dreamworld, we would have it second to Sea World as our favourite GC park.

The Dreamworks area looks great and the kids love it, I think the Madegascar ride is great as it gives an option for those too timid for bigger similar rides. Ditto Shockwave.

We have also always really enjoyed the laser thing. Haven't been since it changed but I think it is a nice variation on other theme park offerings.

We also enjoyed the MDMC, it is a little uncomfortable but so are a lot of rides.

I think Dreamworld has a really nice balance of areas, rides and animals, glad I'm not the only one now!

While i'll agree Dreamworld does indeed get alot of negative attention here, and indeed, on the whole, isn't too bad of a park, the reason why everyone feels so jaded nowadays is that once upon a time it wasn't just "fine/okay/good", it was "amazing/sensational/terrific". In the first phase of the park's life saw it receive prestigious titles from the board of tourism like "Australia's #1 Attraction" - the park was literally built with the help of Disney, and for a brief glimmer of time, had a similar, yet entirely different "Australian" kind of Disney magic.

Now the park is more Six Flags than Disney, and that's why everyone grumbles (and that's not giving Six Flags credit where credit is due, when Magic Mountain replaced their Superman Escape trains to the ones Tower of Terror 2 has, they also opted for a complete electronics overhaul, something our park opted out for, which is why their ride's carriages reach the top of the tower and ours don't - it's something the park didn't need to do but chose to anyway). From the food to the entertainment to even the attractions, quantity and shareholders trump quality every time.

Edited by Slick

It is interesting what you say Flea (welcome to the forums by the way). As Slick said on another thread - as it stands, the park isn't bad - but because it used to be held to such a higher standard, many have become disenfranchised with the park.

I agree the park has '3 times more rides' but many of us can speak from experience that a few high capacity rides run with the right staffing levels can put through far more than every ride in Dreamworld's arsenal. Operationally, their rides are a low capacity, further compounded by the fact that the staffing levels are insufficient to keep operations running without a gap.

As an example - Superman Escape - the train stops long enough for the riders to clear unload. On the other hand - Cyclone, unloading is completed before the next group are brought through, resulting in the train 'sitting' for 3ish minutes in between each cycle.

In summation - Quality over Quantity.

alot of people don't like Dreamworld because they changed to focus on families rather then thrills. a more cynical person i.e me, would say they went this way because its the cheapest way to go. back in the late 90's and early 2000's Dreamworld was considered to be the better park because it had the best thrill rides and also good family rides. movie world really wasn't much competition back then. look at it now and mw is considered by most to be the better park because they put good re rideable rides in. DW need at least 2 quality rides to get people interested again. In regards to staffing of rides at DW unfortunately there isn't much they can do. They would have a massive base cost just to open the park due to the physical size of the park, MW wouldn't have this issue due to it being better designed.

alot of people don't like Dreamworld because they changed to focus on families rather then thrills.

This is so made up it's funny.

Ardent management just don't get it. If you want to distill it any further, it's those six words. They're running two parks like the rest of their portfolio, which consists of short term ROI properties like gyms (which, as far as businesses go is the complete opposite of a theme park) next door to a chain of parks who are obliterating them left right and centre because they really get the industry and their customers. That's it.

talk to young families and see what they think of. Dreamworld. Alot of them love it because it has a wide range of things to do. talk to a teenager and they all say DW sucks. I honestly believe its a cop out and an excuse so they don't have to build $20 million roller coasters but it brings the families through the gates

To speak for myself, the main reason I favour MW over DW is for two reason.

-I like themed attractions.

-I like good roller coasters.

My favourite parks are places like Universal Singapore, Islands of Adventure, Alton Towers etc because that's what they provide a mixture of.

Bringing that here to Australia, you'd say that MW definitely provides that, but DW doesn't really.

I don't also don't care much for spinning rides, and I think DW has put too many of them in recent times.

To speak for myself, the main reason I favour MW over DW is for two reason.

-I like themed attractions.

I don't also don't care much for spinning rides, and I think DW has put too many of them in recent times.

Agree with these points 100%.

My son is 19 months and is fascinated with cars. MW is the no brainer with HWSD, soon to be HWSD2. He is not a fan of animals (other than fish) and is too small for most rides.

We did take him to DW once and he was upset most of the day because we had to keep stopping him trying to run to rides and the noise of some of the others.

Will give DW a fair go again when he reaches a point he will be able to experience further attractions, however having grown up with DW (I was born the year it opened and have a commemorative plate with mum and dad with me only a week old, which funnily enough we took my son to MW when he was 9 days old) and seeing the steady decline, I have little to no faith in the DW experience.

Took my 17 month old to DW yesterday for the first time and he loved it. We didn't get there til 3pm, and given his age 2 hours was fine for what he could do. He went on 6 rides and loved them all, favorite being rocky hollow log ride, and loved getting to walk around at pat a kangaroo, and watched half of Cub College tiger show. I'd prefer MW anyday being a coaster fan, but DW wins hands down for kids and family attractions. This is where MW has the most opportunity in the future, re-developing WB kids and most importantly a solid family replacement for LTRR.

I'd prefer MW anyday being a coaster fan, but DW wins hands down for kids and family attractions.

Kids - yes.

Movieworld's quality of 'kiddie' rides is sorely lacking, but as family rides, I believe MW still holds it - the 'quality' of what I consider as 'family' attractions trumps what dreamworld has.

I agree with Brad and Alex and I guess they were the points I was making.

I found with my early primary school aged kids they were happy to go on the dodge ems, Road Runner, Scooby Doo, Wild West Falls and The Justice League ride at MW and were too small or too scared for GL, Superman, Batwing and Arkam. The rest of Looney Tunes doesn't interest them much.

They like the shows and parade at MW, Scooby Doo, Batman, Stunt Driver and parade.

At DW they can go on the Rapid River, the flume, MDMC, Shockwave, Pandamonium, Reef Diver, Madegascar, Wipeout, Laser Skirmish, Dodge ems and the other couple of Dreamworks rides (laying down one and seated swings) keep them amused as does the ball room.

Too scared for the Buzzsaw, Claw TOT and Giant Drop and for some reason we have never been on rollercoaster.

They like the Tiger shows, shearing show etc and watch the movies at both parks.

There is no doubt in terms of quality MW is ahead, they enjoy Scooby Doo more than any other ride (27 times in one visit on a quiet day!) and in shows but they come away with a much fuller day at DW.

As a ticket buyer I'm much happier paying a little less and having them have a massive day where they can pretty much ride all day without queuing on a variety of rides than paying more and having them do less, albeit at a higher quality.

Edited by Flea33

Honestly, as much as we hate what DW has become, it still appeals to its target audience. They don't sit there trying to make everything appeal to us, as theme park enthusiasts. Instead, they aim to draw families and teenagers in with record-breaking spin 'n' spews. Personally, its not my favourite and I know its not everyone here's favourite park either, but give them credit where credit is due; they really do know how to cater for the general public.

For my part, it's really that Dreamworld has become a tired place. New things always look good but often out of place while older things tend to be left to rot. That said I would almost say Dreamworld still scrapes by as a good park... if it weren't for the fact that there are two parks down the road doing just about everything consistently better in both the teen/thrill and family markets these days.

(I've merged together a few threads into one here so that this topic can be discussed in one place... enjoy!)

As a ticket buyer I'm much happier paying a little less and having them have a massive day where they can pretty much ride all day without queuing on a variety of rides than paying more and having them do less, albeit at a higher quality.

But thats where most people fall down in their comparison...

As a ticket buyer - most people these days are looking at the discounted annual passes such as the world pass, or the VIP pass. At $100 for a year (or thereabouts) it's one of the best value tickets anywhere in the country (especially when compared to day pricing).

So what do you get for your $100?

Dreamworld and White Water World - Dreamworld by all accounts is tired, left to rot, but still 'ok' with plenty of options for the kids. White Water World has some great technology slides (from 5 years ago) that WnW doesn't have (yet), but WnW is still 'biggest and best' and nobody can deny that.

On the other hand:

Movie World, Wet n Wild and Sea World. Although down by Main Beach, Sea World is the ignored piece of the pie in this equation. Effectively its the 'park you get for free'. We've all been comparing the two 'theme parks on the highway with adjoining waterpark' but the fact remains that Sea World as an add-on is a pretty solid 'bonus extra'. Three additional rollercoasters, a sensational childrens play area, battle boats, flume, high-ropes and jungle gym type attractions, as well as 4 additional shows, another parade, and a heap of animal encounters and exhibits.

Back when Wet N Wild had their Dive'n'Movies, I'd start the day at Sea World, head to movie world at lunchtime, and then drop into WnW around 4 to catch the movie (or if it didn't interest me, ride some of the slides at night).

As a standalone comparison - MW vs. DW, I can see why more of the family groups would take Dreamworld over Movie World, based on quantity of offering. But - as soon as you bring 'ticket buyer' or 'value for money' into it - its an entirely different ballgame, because you're comparing the contents of 3 diverse, varied, well set up parks with two that are tired, struggling, and just can't compete on the same level.

Don't get me started on their upcharge attractions either...

There is a special deal for 3 days entry to DW/WWW for $81 going at the moment with RACQ. 3 entries must be within 5 days of the first visit.

Given we haven't been for a while and I have 2 weeks off might take another look especially with all the changes noted here, and at $81 why not?

Every time I go to Dreamworld I overlook the few issues it has and enjoy what is available. I enjoy the rides and attractions. There are just them few things that could be fixed and/or upgraded to make the park better. Such as repairing buildings that are falling apart and get rid of rides if you aren't going to do anything with them (Mine ride and cable car). These are major things that people may notice. Dreamworld is a great place to visit. But I would choice Movie World over it.

But thats where most people fall down in their comparison...

As a ticket buyer - most people these days are looking at the discounted annual passes such as the world pass, or the VIP pass. At $100 for a year (or thereabouts) it's one of the best value tickets anywhere in the country (especially when compared to day pricing).

So what do you get for your $100?

Dreamworld and White Water World - Dreamworld by all accounts is tired, left to rot, but still 'ok' with plenty of options for the kids. White Water World has some great technology slides (from 5 years ago) that WnW doesn't have (yet), but WnW is still 'biggest and best' and nobody can deny that.

On the other hand:

Movie World, Wet n Wild and Sea World. Although down by Main Beach, Sea World is the ignored piece of the pie in this equation. Effectively its the 'park you get for free'. We've all been comparing the two 'theme parks on the highway with adjoining waterpark' but the fact remains that Sea World as an add-on is a pretty solid 'bonus extra'. Three additional rollercoasters, a sensational childrens play area, battle boats, flume, high-ropes and jungle gym type attractions, as well as 4 additional shows, another parade, and a heap of animal encounters and exhibits.

Back when Wet N Wild had their Dive'n'Movies, I'd start the day at Sea World, head to movie world at lunchtime, and then drop into WnW around 4 to catch the movie (or if it didn't interest me, ride some of the slides at night).

As a standalone comparison - MW vs. DW, I can see why more of the family groups would take Dreamworld over Movie World, based on quantity of offering. But - as soon as you bring 'ticket buyer' or 'value for money' into it - its an entirely different ballgame, because you're comparing the contents of 3 diverse, varied, well set up parks with two that are tired, struggling, and just can't compete on the same level.

Don't get me started on their upcharge attractions either...

Yep, that is a fair call, as a three the other option is far better.

As once or twice a year visitors if we are up for a short time it is the MW,SW,WnW combo that we buy and if it is a longer stay DW/WWW come into it which I guess probably say it all.

Every time I go to Dreamworld I overlook the few issues it has and enjoy what is available. I enjoy the rides and attractions. There are just them few things that could be fixed and/or upgraded to make the park better. Such as repairing buildings that are falling apart and get rid of rides if you aren't going to do anything with them (Mine ride and cable car). These are major things that people may notice. Dreamworld is a great place to visit. But I would choice Movie World over it.

Cable car has been SBNO for 3248 days, or 8 years, 10 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days.

And 2765 days for Eureka. (7 years, 6 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days.)

Cable car has been SBNO for 3248 days, or 8 years, 10 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days.

And 2765 days for Eureka. (7 years, 6 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days.)

I can't believe it's been that long, but still why can't they remove them.

well I suppose it would cost them and they don't want to spend money

There is a special deal for 3 days entry to DW/WWW for $81 going at the moment with RACQ. 3 entries must be within 5 days of the first visit.

As once or twice a year visitors if we are up for a short time it is the MW,SW,WnW combo that we buy and if it is a longer stay DW/WWW come into it which I guess probably say it all.

Wyncenuros' comments prompted me to go and have a look at what 'special offers' are available on the other side of the highway.

We're all familiar with the VIP pass - currently $110. The Super Pass (at $99) has been around at least since 1994, and is 28 days unlimited entry to all three parks.

The Discovery Passport is the next one in line at $149 - which is pretty much the VIP pass with member discounts, as well as being 12 months from purchase, rather than expiring at the end of june.

But what blew me away is the Ultimate Theme Park Pass. I don't know how long this has been around but i think it's pretty new. In my opinion, this is 'disney-esque' in it's design - in the sense that the whole idea is to keep you on property as much as possible.

Let's break it down:

• Adults are $179.99
  • Children are $99.99
  • Tiered pricing implies better value. Adults expect to pay less for a child than they do an adult.
  • 21 days unlimited entry to MW, SW & WnW
  • 3 weeks is about the right amount of time to spend on the gold coast - so being able to go at any time during your holiday makes your itinerary flexible.
  • The 21 days unlimited entry also applies to Paradise Country.
  • It's a bit corny for some, but for those that haven't been young kids etc - it's often forgotten in holiday planning, but it is a good solid (half day) attraction in it's own right.
  • On top of that, you also get a single entry to Australian Outback Spectacular.
  • Considering an adult ticket to AOS is $99.99, and child tickets are $69.99, with a meal that you'd easily pay at least half that for anywhere local on a good day, its great value (and it gives you a night off having to sort dinner out for everyone).

I know this is the dreamworld topic, but the main view here has always been a comparison between their rivals - in my opinion this package just absolutely shits on dreamworld, and it puts what i think is a final nail in Dreamworld's coffin. How can they compare? Offer tickets to Skydeck? *yawn*... go bowling? *Yawn* You can visit a lookout observation deck and a bowling alley pretty well anywhere.

Once again - this package (and i'm saying this for visitors and tourists, not locals) is incredibly amazing value, and also incredibly smart marketing on VRTP's behalf.