Adventure World 2015 - 'Mi2' Kraken Tornado slide

Tim Dasco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on MI2

Currently on schedule for late September/early October.

Slightly over budget, probably closer to $6m just now.

Theming designs look AWesome and I am confident we will pull them off.

steel columns arriving in the next 3 weeks probably

Team excited to get going on it and deliver a world class attraction.

The world's steepest and longest................. ????

There is a possibility of invites to the VIP launch being extended to the current topic community.

I will make announcements here a few hrs before any media releases and will give you all a heads up a week in advance.

While I'm not in a position to get to that side of the country to experience your park, I must say I hugely respect and appreciate the level of involvement you have in the community here and I wish the eastern parks would take a leaf out of your book and openly participate here. Thank you.

Update on MI2

There is a possibility of invites to the VIP launch being extended to the current topic community.

I will make announcements here a few hrs before any media releases and will give you all a heads up a week in advance.

I really love the way Mark is contributing information like this to the enthusiast community.

You won't get the world's longest and steepest coaster for $6m. Simply has to be a slide of some description...

...though I'm now giggling at the idea that this is all a build up for something silly like the world's longest/steepest escalator. The current record is 135 metres in Hong Kong; could Adventure World be about to out-do this?

So, everything else has been misdirection? As long as we get to go to the opening of it. That would be some escalator for $6m.

True to his word.. Mark has started 'Throw back Thursday'.

Thank you once again.

From AW's Facebook page. 1981..

https://www.facebook.com/AdventureWorldOfficialPage

post-2597-0-29028400-1426757004_thumb.jp

Edited by iwerks

Update on MI2

The world's steepest and longest ProSlide Tornado would be a great fit, not just from the hints but also the size of the land being cleared.

$6m is certainly going to deliver one heck of a ride. If I am correct, it would be the largest investment for a water slide (not counting WhiteWater World or Wet N Wild Sydney) in Australia!

Too bad I live on the other side of the country and I wont be able to see this at opening.

Iwerks is that photo from the 1981 construction? I'm assuming so.

I'm very glad our opinions are having an impact on AW's facebook page.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Iwerks is that photo from the 1981 construction? I'm assuming so.

I'm very glad our opinions are having an impact on AW's facebook page.

I think it must be from an early phase of the construction. The grounds were previously an industrial dump. Here's a quote from the Boans Staff at Adventure World Page:

Paul Irvine I remember it as a sand pit where we would go and watch Dad ride his trail bike and we would sit in the limestone pinnacle that the castle is built on. Dune buggies would drive flat out up the hill that ended up being the toboggan run and sometimes roll backwards down the hill!

According to the Wikipedia page 380 000 tonnes of sand were used to reshape the contours - which you can kind of see there. The car park is going to be on the right, the grand prix track next to that. The main gateway is towards the centre of the picture.

Other parts are less distinct. I do remember that there were a few hills for the trams to traverse when it did open. Obviously the chairlift didn't come for a few years later.

The picture's been getting lots of likes on their Facebook page - 86 in four hours.

I enjoyed this quote:

Adam Collier I know the new attractions team are very inventive with the current space, but looking at this photo, it's a shame the original owners didn't buy a bit more land to develop the park further. I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing.

While I'm not in a position to get to that side of the country to experience your park, I must say I hugely respect and appreciate the level of involvement you have in the community here and I wish the eastern parks would take a leaf out of your book and openly participate here. Thank you.

I'm not a fan of posts that don't contribute in the slightest to the discussion with words like "me too" or "i agree" but in this case I feel it is wholeheartedly appropriate to echo Reanimated's sentiments and just say...

^this.

Hypothetically speaking, I think moving forward if Adventure World wanted to continue investing in the teen/adult market, a small Huss Giant Frisbee or Intamin Gyro Swing would pad out their flat-ride line-up perfectly. Alternatively, something like Intamin's family launch coaster (Jet Rescue) would be brilliant. I'm sure some people would make the case of "originality" when you stack those options up against the eastern theme parks, but honestly, when Rainbow's End in Auckland, New Zealand is a closer competitor geographically, I don't think i'd be too worried.

• Like 1

I'm sure some people would make the case of "originality" when you stack those options up against the eastern theme parks, but honestly, when Rainbow's End in Auckland, New Zealand is a closer competitor geographically, I don't think i'd be too worried.

Er, how do you figure that one exactly?

Edited by Noxegon

• Richard changed the title to Adventure World 2015 - \'Mi2\' Tornado slide