'World Best' Attraction coming to VRTP

Brad2912

Given the proximity to AOS, I do hope that they apply something to the wall facing the highway so that it fits with the theme of AOS, or at least promotional materials, billboards or something other than a big concrete wall. It'll also affect the airflow around that end of the AOS arena where everyone gathers before the show - thankfully it's eastern facing so it shouldn't emit too much heat before showtime.

6 hours ago, djrappa said:

Pretty sure it will look identical to the other stages. 

The concrete will be the internal walls with cladding to go outside, the space filled with insulation for sound proofing. 

It looks like prefab concrete stuff, so it could be the external walls like you build a big warehouse. I guess it depends if they have plans for external features, making it more like a venue for the games, rather than film space.

The boom lifts over the water tank area near AOS are often parked there. Ive seen them in use as lighting rigs before when shooting pirates. I think I heard the next thor movie is supposed to happen on the coast? maybe they are starting pre-production work for this.

Not really anything we haven't all found out ourselves but the media has finally caught onto the DA's.

New roller coaster, hotel and lakeside attraction planned for Movie World

• ANDREW POTTS AND KATHLEEN SKENE 
  • GOLD COAST BULLETIN
  • DECEMBER 19, 2015 12:00AM
Gold Coast Titans players William Zillman and Luke Douglas on the Superman ride at Movie

Gold Coast Titans players William Zillman and Luke Douglas on the Superman ride at Movie World. Picture: Adam Head

A NEW rollercoaster is planned for Movie World, with the theme park’s operators lodging development applications with the city council.

A nine-storey hotel and a “new attraction and lakeside precinct” are also planned for the Movie World site, according to three building applications lodged with the Gold Coast City Council by Village Roadshow.

The Gold Coast Bulletin understands the hotel is planned to be nine storeys and will be built on what is now a carpark fronting Oxenford’s Entertainment Rd.

indexThe applications — including “stage 1 — early works” for the hotel building, new attraction and lakeside precinct, as well as building approval for a roller coaster, were privately certified and lodged between November 17 and December 3.

Movie World’s popular Green Lantern ride in action this week. Picture: Mike Batterham

Movie World’s popular Green Lantern ride in action this week. Picture: Mike Batterham

A spokesman for Village Roadshow would not provide further details on the project as it was “commercial-in-confidence” but at the annual general meeting a month ago co-chairman Robert Kirby said the new attraction that would be “one of the world’s best”.

“We continue to invest in our theme parks, constantly refreshing our special events and attractions to ensure we maintain our premium position and give people a new reason to visit,” he said.

“In the coming months we will be announcing an exciting new attraction for the Gold Coast, which we expect will be one of the world’s best theme park drawcards.”

The ride will be the latest in a swath of new attractions which include Dreamworld’s new offerings, the Hot Wheels Side Winder, Peter Brock collection — due to launch on Boxing Day — and two new tiger cubs.

Dreamworld has introduced two new female tiger cubs to the public, they are sisters to Ka

Dreamworld has introduced two new female tiger cubs to the public, they are sisters to Kai who was born earlier this year. Picture: David Clark

The Village Roadshow theme park sites are zoned as special facilities under legislation dating back to the Bjelke-Petersen era when they were originally approved in the 1980s.

Area councillor William Owen-Jones said he supported the proposed expansion.

“We as a council are pretty keen to encourage Movie World to build accommodation on this site,” he said.

“It is a world-class family fun park and the idea of adding accommodation to it is really exciting.”

Of the Gold Coast’s four theme parks, just one already has a resort — Sea World.

On-site accommodation facilities at theme parks are a major feature of Disney’s resorts across the world.

Disney California Adventure which is part of Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. Photo: Andrew

Disney California Adventure which is part of Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. Photo: Andrew McPhee

It’s not the first time a hotel has been proposed for the Village Roadshow precinct.

A decade ago a developer proposed a $100 million art-deco Hollywood-themed hotel resort.

It was to be a four-level resort with 154 apartment called Hollywood Boulevard, featuring a palm tree-lined driveway reminiscent of grand 1930s-style Californian hotels but the project never went ahead.

5 hours ago, skeetafly said:

I will put my house in it that they got all the information from parkz.   No way they went back through 10 years of applications and found the old approval for the hotel.   

No question... it's one thing that every little blog and Facebook page seems to get the scoop just after it's posted here, but it always amuses me how much the Gold Coast Bulletin like to "borrow". In the past they've lifted entire posts and articles verbatim from here without attribution.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

No question... it's one thing that every little blog and Facebook page seems to get the scoop just after it's posted here, but it always amuses me how much the Gold Coast Bulletin like to "borrow". In the past they've lifted entire posts and articles verbatim from here without attribution.

At least some of us know how to reference our sources.

On 12/19/2015 at 2:57 PM, iwerks said:

At least some of us know how to reference our sources.

That to me is all that it is really -- I should have clarified that I meant the blogs/FB pages that share stuff without attribution. Just a link or some kind of acknowledgement to the original source. It's not just polite, but it also makes the article read better and lends credibility. I know I'd rather read articles/blogs that show some degree of depth to their reporting.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

That to me is all that it is really -- I should have clarified that I meant the blogs/FB pages that share stuff without attribution. Just a link or some kind of acknowledgement to the original source. It's not just polite, but it also makes the article read better and lends credibility. I know I'd rather read articles/blogs that show some degree of depth to their reporting.

We really appreciate your and your tram's efforts, Richard. Without Parkz, the Australian theme park community would be a truly fractured beast. I've been reading Parkz from its Rollercoaster.com.au origins. It's been great since Adventure World stepped up its game that we can contribute something back to the site from out west. More power to you!

Edited by iwerks

Not that we didn't already know Village had big plans for next year, but just to add a little further confirmation, I just got an email from them which, whilst it doesn't give much away, does at least hint that they'll be announcing more 'soon':

"Merry Christmas from Village Roadshow Theme Parks.

May your holiday season be wrapped up with cheer, full of adventure and filled with celebration for the New Year.

We've got a big year coming in 2016 and we look forward to sharing all of our exciting announcements soon."

I recently was googling 'Most Expensive Roller Coasters' on Google. Storm Coaster @ SeaWorld came in at the number 10 spot at $20mil. (http://www.therichest.com/luxury/most-expensive/the-10-most-expensive-roller-coasters-in-the-world/?view=all

This takes into account the demolition of the building & all that...

My questions are,

How much do you think the ride itself will cost?

Where do you think the ride will be located? Cost efficient location or not? 

• Richard locked and unlocked this topic