2016 for Movie World

Geez, I didn't mean that the place is falling to bits cause it isn't, I'm just saying that i doubt that it looks like it use to when it was open to the public. And since Lethal Weapon changed, the theming is a bit redundant now. I doubt they will reopen the place until they decide what to do with it and how to re theme it.

13 hours ago, djrappa said:

I feel like if China Alley (well what used to be, let's stop calling something that doesn't exist anymore China Alley) was open Id be coming on here and reading all about how there is the ugly unthemed corridor that you have to walk down. 

So I feel like it's a no win situation here and the park would be damned either way. 

Id kinda be sooner reading about how awesome it is that two aging attractions are getting a nice makeover and how this time in 12 months the park is going to be looking amazing. 

Half of Disneyland is closed right now, well seems like, growing pains are a thing any park is gonna have. 

You have an excellent point, but since the facades were torn down, it would only take some paint, and maybe a few barred windows to make the alley fit the Arkham theme - put up stencil signs like 'mental asylum - KEEP OUT' and then have Joker graffiti scrawled over it making it something else.

We are very lucky that the park is undergoing a lot of renovation and improvement, and it can only be for the better moving forward - but unfortunately - when you buy an old house and renovate the kitchen - suddenly the old bathroom looks like a turd in comparison. The alley space provided alternatives to main street, which becomes a choke point, particularly when parades are on. Sure - it forces people to go through the retail strip (like sea world's gate) but guest flow, particularly at peak times is important, and what they have right now with the alley closed just sucks.

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Other than faded facades, I don't really see how the area could be maintenance-poor. What maintenance did it ever receive when it was a main thoroughfare?

Most (if not all? of the alley facades were torn down a few years back. it is just bare walls these days. But as above - wouldn't take much to improve it to a guest-suitable space.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

We are very lucky that the park is undergoing a lot of renovation and improvement, and it can only be for the better moving forward - but unfortunately - when you buy an old house and renovate the kitchen - suddenly the old bathroom looks like a turd in comparison.

Speaking of, I love the TLC they're giving the parks so I don't want to sound like I'm whinging it's not good enough. But while I was at MW over the Christmas I really thought the bathrooms needed renovating badly. That's the one near the entry, behind the ice cream store, next to the dodgems and over at WWF. 

Thank you @Theme Park Girl for the photo. I don’t remember Superman being on the juice or could it be from pushing the train around the track for the last 11 years.

@Slick I hope so.  I can't hold this in much longer.  I don't know how others do it. 

In relation to 2 major rides being down for such a long time at the same time is poor management.  MW don’t have a that many rides to maintain in a year and should have shuffled things around to make it work.  Overlapping downtime by a couple of weeks would have been ok.

Edited by skeetafly

2 hours ago, skeetafly said:

In relation to 2 major rides being down for such a long time at the same time is poor management.  MW don’t have a that many rides to maintain in a year and should have shuffled things around to make it work.  Overlapping downtime by a couple of weeks would have been ok.

I'm passing no comment for or against what you've said here, but I did this little chart to kind of visualise the maintenance in the park, based on what was on their maintenance page, and other info such as school holidays and doomsday construction.

I haven't included fright nights or carnivale either.

maintenance.png

There would have been room to fit things around a little bit but once you add carnivale and fright nights in it starts to get a lot more difficult.

I'm also mindful of the ongoing doomsday construction which - although outsourced - would still require day-to-day involvement from local crew familiar with the site. I think its been a very difficult year for them to plan.

Something that also sticks in the back of my head with my background is when we see storm season, and when weather can wreak havoc on things like paintjobs. Mid-september is the start of that season, and May-early June is also a bad time for rain events.

Looking at peak periods - it makes sense to close West throughout the winter holidays, but it would be suicide to close Superman. Superman went down almost immediately after holidays, and comes back up JUST in time for september holidays.

I'm not having a go - but what could you see done differently to avoid the 'two majors closed at the same time' ?

@AlexB

Great chart Alex, maybe MW should be using it to explain it to their guest. 

I agree with you it would be a very difficult year with all that is going on in the park.  I have a question for you.  Would you be upset with the park if they waited another year to paint superman?  I wouldn’t be.   MW are not only getting a new ride but a whole new themed area.  MW are also getting Wild West Falls refurbished. 

I do agree the staff would be across all 3 rides.  I think that would slow down the progress in itself.  If they postponed too next year MW would have an extra ride running.

The problem I have with it is MW is already a half day park as we have discussed before.

2 hours ago, skeetafly said:

I agree with you it would be a very difficult year with all that is going on in the park.  I have a question for you.  Would you be upset with the park if they waited another year to paint superman?  I wouldn’t be.   MW are not only getting a new ride but a whole new themed area.  MW are also getting Wild West Falls refurbished. 

Maybe they've got plans for more big refurbishments next year. 

OK so its great that superman is back and all.

However the superman costume looks poor.

If you look at the most recent superman movies the costume looks so much more detailed that this cloth.

Wonder woman looks great with detailed leather, as does Batmans costume so why with a huge name like superman would they make him look cheap.

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

If you look at the most recent superman movies the costume looks so much more detailed that this cloth.

These costumes aren't based on the films; they're based off of DC Comics new 52 Universe. 50ce9a8823529b9c2ff46036ec7a6308.jpgJim_Lee_Superman.jpg

While it may not be as detailed as the costumes found in the DC Film universe, it certainly looks impressively close to the source material.

17 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

The tour looks amazing and I'll try to get it done when I visit the Gold Coast next, the new coaster should hopefully be an excuse to do so ;)

Except the coaster is slated for a late 2017 open and this is currently Saturdays End July to End September...  So 9 days...  8 people max per tour...  72 people at this stage...

Hoping this is just a trial period to see how popular it is as would love to do this but not something that can be afforded until late October :(

Also...

Please Note: Guests required to meet minimum height of 140cm. Children under 14yrs must be accompanied by a full paying adult. Guests must wear enclosed, flat footwear and have a moderate level of fitness and strength. Tour operates in all weather conditions, however some components of tour may be substituted for similar experiences in adverse weather. Back of house attraction visits and tour content may vary due to maintenance schedules and other activity. Movie World admission ticket required.

So does this mean although they show SE in the advertising you most likely wont get to view the areas shown since it is out for maintenance???  Unless you go the last 2 weeks...

Edited by Wyncenuros

3 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Second lot of breaking MW news for the day... 

https://youtu.be/2trcKKVeIGo

Oh my, for a laugh read the closed caption for this video..

2 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

These costumes aren't based on the films; they're based off of DC Comics new 52 Universe. 50ce9a8823529b9c2ff46036ec7a6308.jpgJim_Lee_Superman.jpg

While it may not be as detailed as the costumes found in the DC Film universe, it certainly looks impressively close to the source material.

Wait wait, since when are we theming things from DC in this park from the comics and not the movies?
:P:D

^Yeah, but why not - its common practice in a park that when you have a unique experience limited to a few, that you charge for it to limit participation.

I'm sure there's been many a parent go off their rocker when staff choosing the winner of the dance-off didn't pick their child for the honour. by doing this, we contribute to a good cause, and have a justifiable reason for why your child can't (it's already booked for today, sorry).

I'm sure, if they didn't have any bookings for the day they'll still select some kids randomly for no charge to fill the parade, but this is a way to guarantee your child gets the experience - even if they're a shitty dancer.