Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback

Theme Park Girl

Overall I found it disappointing.

I'd probably go on it again if there's no queue, but doubt I'd wait in line.

It also seems to be a poor design where the middle seats have a max height restriction due to the junction of the main swing arm and the arm that carries the seats (if that makes sense).

That height restriction appears to rule out most adults - at Fright Night a a few weeks back those centre seats (four on each side) weren't being used, I assume as everyone was too tall. So it was running with 8 empty seats!?!

I guess it's ok as an intermediate ride for kids graduating from smaller kids rides to the bigger rides, but overall it gets a fail from me :(

2 hours ago, Santa07 said:

8-empty seats still leaves a capacity of 24 riders per cycle which isn't below average for a lot of rides

When there is a huge line of people waiting and the total ride capacity is not usable, it comes across as a poor design to me.

Buzzsaw is the same when there's only one operator.  They have to leave two seats free so the operator can cross over, surely that could have been incorporated into the design.

I just get annoyed when I'm waiting and rides aren't being used to capacity.

1 minute ago, mission said:

I just get annoyed when I'm waiting and rides aren't being used to capacity.

^I second this. As enthusiasts we know that for instance Superman can operate with 2 trains. And on days when they only run 1 train, the line can get to 40mins - 1 hr long.....it's very annoying.

So are you suggesting Dreamworld are not operating the ride as per the manufacturers design and operating procedures?

I've been there numerous times when a row isn't being used to provide a thoroughfare for staff. 

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

^I second this. As enthusiasts we know that for instance Superman can operate with 2 trains. And on days when they only run 1 train, the line can get to 40mins - 1 hr long.....it's very annoying.

I was going to mention that!

However the last few times I've been to MW both trains have been running and the line is relatively quick.  Which is good, as it's my favourite MW ride.

I'm yet to ride DD, but I group it into the same level of thrill as the old Enterprise/Reef Diver. Maybe even better as the direction reverses during the ride.

As mentioned already countless times in this and the construction thread, it's not an extreme ride, and never was advertised as so. I'm amused by the people who feel let down by the ride.

What about those restraints, there's a B & M hyper out there missing it's clamshell restraints lol. I haven't gone through the whole thread to see if it's been mentioned before, but the ops having to buckle up every seat belt isn't conducive to fast loads (I understand why, but maybe the restraint could have been a bit better designed). 

2 hours ago, mission said:

Buzzsaw is the same when there's only one operator.  They have to leave two seats free so the operator can cross over, surely that could have been incorporated into the design.

I've never seen that before...

The front row of each car has enough room for the operator to cross over

1 hour ago, downunder said:

What about those restraints, there's a B & M hyper out there missing it's clamshell restraints lol. I haven't gone through the whole thread to see if it's been mentioned before, but the ops having to buckle up every seat belt isn't conducive to fast loads (I understand why, but maybe the restraint could have been a bit better designed). 

Well they might not have to buckle everyone's redundancy safety belt; passengers can do that themselves. They'll have to check if it's fastened though, when they do the mandatory safety check on the harnesses.

KMG have managed to make their most extreme rides on the Aussie carnival circuit, such as Speed, XXL/Rebel, The Beast comply with strict Australian ride harness safety standards WITHOUT the need for a redundancy seatbelt. I'm not sure how they've done it, but yeah all those rides are so easy to board/disembark.....So yes, there are ways to redesign the safety restraint to eliminate the old seatbelt.

6 hours ago, mission said:

It also seems to be a poor design where the middle seats have a max height restriction due to the junction of the main swing arm and the arm that carries the seats (if that makes sense).

Will find that it is due to where the two halves of the platforms meet. As someone who is 180cm when doing the filming for the TVC I was seated in the middle seats and told to lift my legs/feet up before they would return the platform back to unload position.

23 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

I've never seen that before...

The front row of each car has enough room for the operator to cross over

The problem there is that there is a fall risk to the front of the train. Where there is a risk of fall from height they need travel restraint or fall arrest, or a railing. I have seen it done with single op operation as described above.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Well they might not have to buckle everyone's redundancy safety belt; passengers can do that themselves. They'll have to check if it's fastened though, when they do the mandatory safety check on the harnesses.

Just to clarify, last weekend they were telling us over the PA not to buckle the safety belt ourselves and that the op would do it. A bit unusual, but I did what I was told lol.