Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?

SHOOKETH

Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?

• Yes, potentially.
    • Maybe, hard to say
    • No, not really

39 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Movie World destroys them in ride quality.

It's really a personal thing but I disagree. 

The only good rides at MW are Superman and the new HC.  I don't find AA any better than HWSW, both old and rough. GL is a yawn fest of brake runs and Scooby Doo, while it was (and likely will be in future), well themed is pretty over rated imo.  Bat Wing is ok but has limited re-rides and DD is well....... The water ride is cool though. 

I just find the mix of rides at DW to be better suited to me, however I'd agree that the best two rides (SM and DC Rivals) are at MW.

As to the new ride eroding DW - I think it will to a degree, as mentioned before, most park goers that only buy one pass will probably re-new passed to MW this year based on the DC Rivals alone.

My list of best coasters in Australia 

1. DC rivals

2. Superman

3. Abyss

4. TOT 

5. Arkman asylum 

6. Green lantern 

7. HWSW

8. Jet rescue

9. Scooby doo

10. Buzzsaw

11. MDMC

12. Looney tunes

13. Nickelodeon one

4 out of top 6 are from MW

Dreamworld need something big soon.

Not taking away anything away from dreamworld as i truly love the park, but i feel they would have been far better off adding in a big attraction every 5-10 years then a small one every couple years.

Edited by Ryande16

Haha cheers @Tim Dasco - like I said yesterday, I was working on to something about this topic. I'll save some of you the jump and re-hash the main points:

One of Dreamworld's biggest strengths is the nostalgia and the culture that's wrapped around it. Dreamworld isn't a theme park, it's an iconic Australian powerhouse, one that people are far more loyal to compared to Movie World. You only have to look at the last seven months to see that loyalty in action. The recipe then is simple, give people what they want, give them a chance to relive nostalgia and good memories, and do it well.

Now, before you go down the "oh but no one cares about X&Y thing at Dreamworld anymore" route, spare me, because the world's largest operator of theme parks has rides from the 50's people still give a crap about. I'm talking about Disney of course, and their guest's loyalty stems from the fact that Disney is relentless in ensuring they can do everything to better their attractions and ensure every facet of the experience is unforgettable.

Who doesn't remember the Bush Ranger show? Bring it back. Remember the smell of the steam train? Bring it back.  Remember the quartet? Bring it back. Log Ride, Mine Ride, Model T Ford Cars, bring it back, and do it well. But also don't stop there, make sure every facet of your park is being done well. I walk through the Tower of Terror & Giant Drop queue lines and wonder if anyone's paying attention. They're so horrible that I think a walk down a dreary hospital corridor would at least be cleaner and more maintained. No one's asking you to be Disney, but they are asking you to look after what you have and keep at it, every single day.

You could knock the wind out of Movie World's sails tomorrow with two rides and half the money. Here's how.

Hypercoasters are incredible, but almost all of them, including DC Rivals, lack one thing, inversions. Dreamworld could easily build what's known as a Gerstlauer Eurofighter (like Abyss at Adventure World) for a fraction of the cost, build it with seven elements that go upside down, and there you have it; Movie World might have the tallest and fastest, but if Dreamworld built an inverting, launched Eurofighter, they could have the country's fastest ride that goes upside down more then anything else in Australia. And if you theme it well, you might just be able to put enough pressure on the HyperCoaster to hold it at bay.

The second ride you'd build is a Soarin' style attraction. Disney pioneered it, they're popping up all over the world thanks to companies like Brogent Technologies, and Dreamworld is perfectly positioned to build one for the cheap. How? Well, Dreamworld once upon a time had an IMAX theatre with near vertical seating, and as a result, have more than enough clearance to nearly literally just "plonk" a soarin' style ride system right into the existing structure with minimal fuss.

Given that most folk's biggest wish list is for Movie World to return the Police Academy and the Mavericks show, a Soarin' ride would deliver a show quality experience, at high capacity, and mix it in with something the country's never seen before. And this is by no means an original idea, it was hotly rumoured that Movie World were considering a similar move around a decade ago, but opted out due to costs, something that has changed considerably.

Read the full thing here: http://ourworlds.co/2017/theme-parks/whats-dreamworlds-next-move/ 

Hahaha, I was actually just about to post the link to that article of yours here Ben, specifically for the "Nostalgia" part as it's EXACTLY what I was trying to get at with my previous posts. You're just heaps better at wording it than I am 😂

But yes, I agree with your article 101%. Nostalgia is a huge factor for Dreamworld, and people are always asking for old attractions and shows to be brought back to the park. And that's what I believe (and hope) they are intending to do with their latest plans, given they are actually bringing back so many of their old family attractions. 

It would be a major win for them if they did, especially given so many of them were Disneyland inspired. 

5 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Lol... you do realise that Dreamworld was based on Disneyland to begin with, right? Family rides, vintage charm and lush gardens etc.... all Disney inspired.

If the market has allegedly changed, then why do Disneyland parks remain the most popular chain in the world??

No offense but I think you need to pull your head out a bit, POP.... Dreamworld aren't going to make a comeback taking the Six Flags approach right now. They are looking at the best of the best for inspiration, which appeals to ALL ages and generations, not just the thrillseekers.   

And good on them, I say 👍

Did you really just compare Disneyland to Dreamworld? Disneyland has several annual blockbuster films (Pirates, Star Wars, Pixar, etc etc list goes on and on) which propel it's attendance every year not to mention the best back catalogue of any film company geared towards children. Yes, nostalgia works for Disneyland because of that back catalogue of characters and films they get to work with but Disneyland also continues to thrive because of their use of CURRENT Disney-films. Dreamworld has none of that to fall back on. Nostalgia will not work for them, I'm absolutely sorry to say. They need to keep with the times or they will be left behind - just like Wonderland was. 

1 minute ago, SHOOKETH said:

Did you really just compare Disneyland to Dreamworld? Disneyland has several annual blockbuster films (Pirates, Star Wars, Pixar, etc etc list goes on and on) which propel it's attendance every year not to mention the best back catalogue of any film company geared towards children. Yes, nostalgia works for Disneyland because of that back catalogue of characters and films they get to work with but Disneyland also continues to thrive because of their use of CURRENT Disney-films. Dreamworld has none of that to fall back on. Nostalgia will not work for them, I'm absolutely sorry to say. They need to keep with the times or they will be left behind - just like Wonderland was. 

Hey, just totally curious, and look, totally cool if you did, it happens, we're all human, but....

Did you forget that Disneyland's mascot hasn't been in a feature film in nearly 2 decades? I'm just curious because it makes your whole argument about nostalgia kind of bunk, that's all. And you know Dreamworld works closely with Dreamworks, right? I'm not 100%, but they've also had big blockbusters around the same time as Pirates, Star Wars, Pixar etc etc the list goes on and on, as you say.

And we won't worry about Dreamworld's connections with ABC Kids World, The Wiggles etc. as you say, Dreamworld has nothing to fall back on.

We done here? Can we get back on topic?

TLDR: Nostalgia & Innovative ideas are key.

@Slick i agree a euro fighter style coaster is such an underated coaster that is great value for money. However a coaster like takabisha is still an expensive ride (28.5 million us), but i think a euro fighter around 35-40 metres tall, around 800 metres long with 5 or 6 inversions could have been a great addition to Dream world instead of spending 10 million on MDMC and 7 million on Buzzsaw. 

Just now, Ryande16 said:

@Slick i agree a euro fighter style coaster is such an underated coaster that is great value for money. However a coaster like takabisha is still an expensive ride (28.5 million us), but i think a euro fighter around 35-40 metres tall, around 800 metres long with 5 or 6 inversions could have been a great addition to Dream world instead of spending 10 million on MDMC and 7 million on Buzzsaw. 

I really don't mind them, and you're exactly right. Takabisha is too long, imo. Shorten it, make it faster than 115k/ph, and give it more inversions than Arkham Asylum and you're set.

7 minutes ago, SHOOKETH said:

I agree comparing Disneyland to Dreamworld is ridiculous. The biggest difference is Disneyland doesn't skimp on theming. They want full immersion as soon as you walk through the gate and they certainly achieve that. DW is light years behind Disney in theming. 

Also Dreamworld seems to do everything on the cheap. It honestly feels like Wonderland part II. The only money they seem to spend these days is on advertising trying to convince the gp they've got 9 of Australia's biggest thrill rides.

Its disappointing because I've been visiting DW for 30 years and I remember as kid how magical the place once was. 

@SHOOKETH, to answer your question, no, she did not compare DW w/ Disneyland, she said that Dreamworld was Disneyland inspired, what's wrong with comparing the 2 anyway? Also, saying that nostalgia won't work for arguably Australia's most iconic theme park, that is now almost 36 years old is just a tad ridiculous.

I 100% agree with @Slick that a euro fighter would be a great option for Dreamworld to keep themselves in the game, for not too much money.

As a 'plus' size gentleman I've always found DW rides a lot more accommodating in comparison to MW rides. Having played rugby in the past I have large muscle build legs which prevents me from riding Scooby doo for example. I have monthly premium passes to both and will continue to go to both. 

I actually prefer DW for the whole experience and friendliness over movieworld. I mean there is more than just a few decent thrill rides there. It's a day of family fun. And I for one am actually really looking forward to the reopening of some of the other attractions there I never got to ride in the past.

Sure Ardent and the DW board need to do *something* but I agree with the many that making it a more family friendly environment will pay off more than a new hyper (as  awesome as that would be to see two hypers within one city) long term.

Now if only Dreamworld could invest in a B&M Hyper... Australia NEEDS a B&M!

I got seasons passes to both DW and MW, but I find myself spending most of the time at W'n'W during peak summer and MW every other time just riding the coasters during off hours. I only seem to go to Dreamworld a few times a year for that nostalgic fix up as tot, saw, moto and hot wheels don't really do it for me. MW to me is the coaster capitol of Australia especially now with DC Rivals.

Hard to say at this stage but I believe Dreamworld is in for a rough few years...

24 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Wouldn't a B&M hyper just be a less exciting version of what MW is getting?

Possibly but I am a sucker for traditional B&M hyper designs with loads of hills/airtime, something along the lines of Goliath at La Ronde but at 200ft.

hyper2006_goliath03.jpg

Edited by Fultre

2 hours ago, SHOOKETH said:

I think you'll find nostaglia is the key to Disneyland, and pretty much the whole reason it exists.

Sure they bring out new movies regularly - most which are based on nostaglic characters from the past. But i think you'll find the actual people with the money buying the tickets are doing so largely in part because of their memories of childhood visits.

Mickey Mouse may not have had a feature film for a few decades, but he's still on 40 thousand times a day between Disney channel and Disney Junior. (I have a toddler. thats all the proof of that that you need). Mickey is still as popular today without having feature films to go along with.

Disney may still have attractions in their parks that are from the 50's (and build clones of them in newer parks too) but they constantly update them. For a long time, the Auctioneer in Pirates of the Caribbean was used as a tester for new animatronic technology - and was (is?) always the most advanced animatronic Disney have ever created. Small world - despite its simplistic nature, is also constantly updated with new technology. In addition to the nostalgic oldies, Disney are also constantly building blockbuster attractions. One can hardly argue it is the nostalgia alone (it plays a part) but the constant new \ changing aspects are also a huge factor.

#justsayin

They need something BIG. I don't particularly care what it is (so long as it isn't a cheaper version of something MW have) but it needs to be a big drawcard. Relying on nostalgia, bringing back old attractions or retheming current ones isn't enough to get them beyond the next 18 months. 

Agreed, hand the keys over to someone with a ton of money, and will completely revitalise the place. I visited only days before the accident, and the lack of atmosphere didn't entice me to want to go back, and this is coming from a Melburnian that was overly excited to visit the park for the first time since 2010. I had forgotten how much ocean parade felt like a painted concrete car park with poorly placed rides, and i'm all for travelling amusement rides.

Bringing the mine train coaster isn't going to bring in hoards of crowds like a brand new shiny coaster would.

Edited by HussRainbow87