The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

48 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I feel like the ride is too compact to be RMC’d, I don’t think it could physically be done. My guess is they would do a GCI refurb like Ghostrider at KBF.

That's true, I was thinking it be too small or compact, but I was like you never know.  

So, I thought I'd get someone else's opinion.

8 hours ago, joz said:

The questions for me are; how long until you start to notice it age? Is it first 5 years till it goes south? Or are modern ones just good forever now? How smooth are they when they're new? Do Wooden coasters really offer something different if they aren't straight up bashing you in the spleen?

These are all dumb questions, and questions I genuinely don't know the answer to.

They're not dumb questions. Like with any steel coaster, there's the long-term cost equilibrium with regular upkeep versus reinvestment. Properly maintained, there's no reason wooden coasters can't last a very long time. Look at the Scenic Railway at LPM. It's already been noted how GhostRider at Knott's runs these days. The important distinction with woodies is that routine maintenance runs a higher cost, compounded by the retracking Levi would likely need every decade or so. Wood is more susceptible to the elements. It's a matter of how much VR is willing to allocate towards that 30+ years down the track until it's time to call it quits and build, say, a PolarCoaster or 500-ft T-Rex.

The modern GCIs (I've done one) are phenomenal, and I'd imagine Gravity Groups would feel similar. Great laterals and airtime with just that little bit of a rattle adding to the danger.

5 hours ago, Rivals said:

I feel like the ride is too compact to be RMC’d, I don’t think it could physically be done. My guess is they would do a GCI refurb like Ghostrider at KBF.

In terms of ride layout or track design? RMC have family hybrids in their portfolio now...

6 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

In terms of ride layout or track design? RMC have family hybrids in their portfolio now...

I know they have family hybrids but it’s still too compact for them to do anything, half the track is hidden within the structure which is already huge to brace for our weather, it wouldn’t happen.

On 02/10/2022 at 12:45 AM, TBoy said:

The thing is, it takes a lot more time to build them than steel, and harder/longer to fix in they ever break down. 

FWIW, Bush Beast and Beastie were both built in ~6 months, and many seasonal parks that have built woodies have done so in their 6 month operating shutdown. They don't really take any longer to build, although the super big out and back layouts obviously do take longer (and so do steel coasters of the same vein).

As for fix\maintenance, it depends on what breaks. The carpenters at wonderland would be hammering things in daily, and daily inspections identified things to fix up which in many cases was a board here \ stringer there. Retracking is obviously a much more onerous task, but the thing to consider here is - you can... If a steel coaster's track is rough (hello Arkham), there isn't much you can do to fix it.

2 minutes ago, rappa said:

Is that the ride’s lighting we can see of have they added temporary lighting for spooky nights?

Each event since the rides construction finished the ride has been lit up a different colour (Red, Purple / Pink, Green so far) so i’d say this is the rides lighting but they can change it to whatever they want.

This is looking super promising! We haven’t seen this amount of theming for a roller coaster from Village, or any of our parks in a long time. Hopefully this is a turning point for our parks, that a full package makes it a better experience. 

Examples of recent rides would be:

Justice League - Great theming, disappointing ride system. 
DC Rivals - Great ride, disappointing theming. 

Very excited to see it all completed

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

With Justice League currently closed for renovation, we can hope that the "disappointing ride system" will be improved.

Is the ride system itself being improved? i thought it would only be to fix the rides effects, screens and theming that hasn’t been maintained well to get it back up to standard for the licensing agreement. 

1 minute ago, Rivals said:

Is the ride system itself being improved? i thought it would only be to fix the rides effects, screens and theming that hasn’t been maintained well to get it back up to standard for the licensing agreement. 

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they're upgrading the system, as well as making necessary repairs. 

How I said I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am.

17 hours ago, Ogre said:

Grass/Tarmac has been added by Trident

vlc_B8uMGRL0gE.thumb.jpg.b04fd5bd45cc937dc0739d8fec28c4e8.jpg

I will say the area does look very nice, however this part i'm not liking as much (as it currently is, it may change prior to opening.) Tridents building colour looks very ugly with the Tarmac not suiting it at all (also kinda thought it would’ve been a water type of feature instead of grass which is a shame.)

Who knows, hopefully it’ll look better when the area opens / looks better in person. Also, any word if the water effect will be present on Trident?

52 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Forgot about those little ones.

I was meaning the giant ones in the concept art, I do believe @Rivals was referring to the water features in the concept art for trident. 
So, trident might have some smaller fountains, but it probably won’t have the giant ones portrayed in the concept art.

I had the idea of the water features from the concept arts but due to how far off they’ve been i just meant any water features at all.  

I do wonder though (unless there is another known purpose), i wonder if that’s what the circular ring around the ride is for?

• Gazza locked this topic