Dreamworld Maintenance 2022

themagician

9 hours ago, rappa said:

I mean WTF is that? It’s literally blackface on a sign at this point…

IF they had simply coloured Emma's face black, I would be inclined to agree with you, but they have used Tsehay's actual, licensed cartoon image. It isn't blackface - they've just put one persons face on top of another persons body - something that (if they were all white) nobody would have batted an eye at.

image.jpeg.6fa06b6ced67e475ab88bbd65726efd7.jpeg

Looking at the cut-out in-park, the entire cutout seems to be one piece. So they probably can't cut emma's hair off without damaging the entire piece. The hands are an unfortunate oversight, but perhaps there are things we outsiders don't know?

Either way, I don't think this is the finished product - and you know what they say about fools and incomplete jobs?

Maybe the Wiggles are sending updated artwork but requested Tsehay's face be updated? If this is a vinyl print rather than paint, they can't just paint over it, and the target market (which isn't thirty-something year old men) aren't really going to notice the hair or the hands, because many of them weren't old enough to know who Emma is (that's the great thing about childrens entertainment - a new batch of fans is always just around the corner)

This is why parks roll their eyes at enthusiasts. Sometimes it’s nice just to say good job rather than pick at insignificant details when they are clearly going to a lot of effort.

The black face thing was a joke…

I can assure you’d I’d have issue if she was white, purple, red, green, pink or orange… that’s probably the shittiest piss poor joke of a thing I’ve ever seen in a professional setting. Its laughably bad. Its not an enthusiast nit picking, it’s an adult with eyes seeing something a 3 year old could draw better. 

I mean every single person involved in that job on the sign should feel somewhat embarrassed. 

It was not a “good job” and they did not go to any “effort” so thanks but not thanks with your quote jibe there. 

Edited by rappa

Just now, New display name said:

Isn't this sign going to end up in the bin anyway after the Christmas holidays?

Exactly. If it were long term, the amount of effort would increase proportionally.

19 minutes ago, rappa said:

something a 3 year old could draw better.

I'm quite sure I can speak with some level of authority that your knowledge of a 3 year old's capability may be lacking.

Thank you for providing confirmation that DW could literally put lipstick on a pig at this point and still be praised for it. 
How in good faith can you look at that sign and think its in any way acceptable, DW, Luna Park, Movie World or your local council show? Its just not.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of my knowledge, but the numerous pieces of 3 years old artwork in my house maybe say differently. A few of which are even of Emma Wiggle so…

16 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

It's laughably bad and is the very definition of 'E for Effort', but I just don't think it's worth grabbing our pitchforks over.

This!

The park doesn’t need to be boycotted over. But I think a “WTF come on, you’re better than this” is more than fair and we can acknowledge that and move on. Defending it is not the laughable bit. 

19 minutes ago, New display name said:

I don't remember praising DW for it.

No you didn’t, and no one was suggesting you did. I’d speed up it’s journey to the bin personally. 

39 minutes ago, New display name said:

So DW didn't care about it and just slapped it on for the concert last week.

As @DaptoFunlandGuy mentioned, it's likely the Wiggles PR team saw the old signage and wanted it updated before the Wiggles arrive for their performance. I highly doubt it would have changed if it was left up to Dreamworld and noticed by the Wiggles team 

I think perspective needs to be readjusted here - The area is about to be completely redeveloped and themed. This kind of signboard is probably going to cost thousands to have redrawn, printed and prepped and finally hung... for what, a few months?

Yes, it's a poor effort. They could have printed more than the head to cover up the other parts of Emma. they could have reprinted the hands in a darker colour or drawn new ones. As mentioned, the Wiggles have probably asked for it to be updated, and I've no doubt this would have been run by their branding team to ensure it was acceptable (and if it isn't, i'm sure it won't take long for someone to notice this forum and take steps to correct it).

But just to repeat my earlier thought - I doubt the kids at 'wiggles fan age' are going to care. 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, Brad2912 said:

Emma left the Wiggles and was replaced Oct 2021. 

the sign still had Emma on it 2-3 weeks ago when I was last there, so it’s only a recent change. 

The archway next to Motocoaster as you enter ABC Kids had Tsehay on Sunday Dec 12th.

Same day she was also on the ABC Kids sign next to the pathway towards Tiger Island.