"Significant" new attractions to be announced at Dreamworld

oh god I feel like i've gone back in time ten years.

1. Both park chains blew their wad on a large scale Mack.
  2. Both park chains needed financial help to get them built
  3. Nobody is building a B&M here anytime soon
  4. Building another hyper is not a smart move - the GC needs more coaster diversity
  5. For mine, i'd love to see a flyer as Tatsu is still near the top of my list and we have nothing like it.
  6. Dreamworld can ride on ST for several years while they fill out the roster so any suggestion of a big thrill coaster is pure folly.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

oh god I feel like i've gone back in time ten years.

1. Both park chains blew their wad on a large scale Mack.
  2. Both park chains needed financial help to get them built
  3. Nobody is building a B&M here anytime soon
  4. Building another hyper is not a smart move - the GC needs more coaster diversity
  5. For mine, i'd love to see a flyer as Tatsu is still near the top of my list and we have nothing like it.
  6. Dreamworld can ride on ST for several years while they fill out the roster so any suggestion of a big thrill coaster is pure folly.

I don't think anyone in the thread is even suggesting that they'll get a new thrill coaster in the next (at least) 5 years anymore, just discussing what it could be once that time comes. And yes, I agree that the GC needs more coaster diversity, but that doesn't change that what Dreamworld needs for their lineup (in the thrill department) first and foremost is an airtime-focused, non-inverting coaster with a lift hill, which mainly fits either a megacoaster, hyper/giga, or woodie.

42 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

I don't think anyone in the thread is even suggesting that they'll get a new thrill coaster in the next (at least) 5 years

Yeah, ok back seat moderator - settle down and re-read the discussions pertaining to what they should do with the current funding allocation being referred to:

On 26/08/2022 at 1:04 PM, Tim Dasco said:

Greg said $50-$60 million within the next 3 years of pipeline. (FY23/24/25)

That can get a few attractions.. A Big thrill coaster...

On 26/08/2022 at 1:41 PM, Tim Dasco said:

While its not a lot of money in the scheme of things. Lets say $30 million for a thrilling coaster

On 26/08/2022 at 5:59 PM, Baconjack said:

Respectfully disagree with this. Dreamworld still need to replace the gap Buzzsaw left in the lineup. You could say ST replaced both TOT & Buzzsaw, and I'm happy with that assessment, but Dreamworld having an extra anchor thrill ride is handy and there's plenty of compact options that could be placed in the park that don't break the bank

On 27/08/2022 at 2:17 PM, Coasterjoe said:

Or they could just blow the entire budget on southern hemispheres first giga 😝

On 27/08/2022 at 3:31 PM, Rivals said:

On a serious note, a B&M (or Intamin) hyper would be a great fit.

Even if this wasn't the intention of each of those posts, its clear the inference i've made is reasonable and possible, so unreasonable to conclude 'no-one in this thread is saying that'.

47 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

I agree that the GC needs more coaster diversity, but that doesn't change that what Dreamworld needs for their lineup (in the thrill department) first and foremost is an airtime-focused, non-inverting coaster with a lift hill, which mainly fits either a megacoaster, hyper/giga, or woodie.

Dreamworld does not need to build anything that can be compared with another park 5 minutes down the road. If they build a hyper, it'll always be compared to Rivals, and if it isn't better, then its a wasted investment. If they build a woodie, then regardless of the manufacturer, it'll be constantly compared to Leviathan as the only other wooden coaster on the GC and again, it had better be better than it in every way or it will be a wasted investment. 

There are enough different types of coasters and different coaster manufacturers out there that they do not need to duplicate what we already have by building the same type where the main differences are the colour and layout. 

Remember how much the public at large thought that Sea World had rebuilt the Wipeout? 

..."airtime-focused, non inverting"...

See, airtime is fun, and a lot of good coasters have it, but the public at large (you know, the majority of their customers) don't really notice it particularly, so it's more an enthusiast thing - and this is the wrong market to target. Likewise - non-inverting will always be viewed as 'more tame' because "OMG IT GOES UPSIDE DOWN" = scary to non-enthusiasts. 

Consider it another way - Sea World hires Brogent to install a flying theatre with a more marine themed film into the Sea World Castle - good idea or is it too similar to Sky Voyager?

53 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

I don't think anyone in the thread is even suggesting that they'll get a new thrill coaster in the next (at least) 5 years anymore, just discussing what it could be once that time comes. And yes, I agree that the GC needs more coaster diversity, but that doesn't change that what Dreamworld needs for their lineup (in the thrill department) first and foremost is an airtime-focused, non-inverting coaster with a lift hill, which mainly fits either a megacoaster, hyper/giga, or woodie.

You’re putting a new coaster at Dreamworld ahead of a new water or dark ride? 
For mine that’s where their attention needs to be focused. A new flume ride , family driven is absolutely essential and the first thing that should be added back to the park. 
Then they should look to a state of the art future dark ride to really round out their attraction selection.

Once these are added in , only then would I even consider looking at a new thrill coaster. What that looks like is definitely open to debate but a grounds up RMC, any one of the new generation Vekoma’s would certainly fit the bill. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jobe said:

For mine that’s where their attention needs to be focused. A new flume ride , family driven is absolutely essential and the first thing that should be added back to the park. 
Then they should look to a state of the art future dark ride to really round out their attraction selection.

Once these are added in , only then would I even consider looking at a new thrill coaster. What that looks like is definitely open to debate but a grounds up RMC, any one of the new generation Vekoma’s would certainly fit the bill. 

no one is saying this. everyone is saying once the park has added more family and a water ride THEN the next big coaster should be ___, no one’s saying their next investment should be a coaster.

12 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

..."airtime-focused, non inverting"...

See, airtime is fun, and a lot of good coasters have it, but the public at large (you know, the majority of their customers) don't really notice it particularly, so it's more an enthusiast thing - and this is the wrong market to target. Likewise - non-inverting will always be viewed as 'more tame' because "OMG IT GOES UPSIDE DOWN" = scary to non-enthusiasts. 

some non-enthusiast guests don’t like going upside down and find it too intimidating, so when looking at it with a non enthusiast perspective, having a big coaster that doesn’t go upside down alongside a coaster which focuses on going upside down is the perfect fit. They would be different enough for it to be a worth-while investment and have something for everyone. 

ST= intense, inversion focused, launched.

new coaster= balance of graceful and intense, airtime focused, traditional chairlift.

The best investment after the family and water additions is a less intense airtime focused coaster, not another coaster which focuses on being intense and going upside down. 

Edited by Rivals
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Nah, I totally agree that they need to go for a water ride above any new thrill coaster, anything from a normal log flume to a PowerSplash, to even one of those cool Intamin ones like SeaWorld San Antonio's getting. And pretty much every park on the Gold Coast could do with a new dark ride, so yeah I too hope/think that'll come beforehand. The whole discussion is (at least on my end) solely for if/when Dreamworld decide they want to construct a new thrill coaster, who they'll go with. Whenever that may be isn't to say.

As for manufacturers once that time comes, an RMC'd be nice and fit quite well, as would a Lech Coaster/Fønix-esque Vekoma, so long as it isn't launched and has some good airtime moments mixed in. Ideally though, I still think they need/I would still prefer them to get a thrill/family-thrill coaster with no inversions, cause as it stands it's pretty large jump from Madagascar to Motocoaster to Gold Coaster & Steel Taipan.

Edited by Tricoart

I want to clarify my comments regarding a Giga were completely tongue and cheek. As I have already stipulated as well, I dont think anyone here thinks that the next investment should be a big coaster. As coaster enthusiasts its fun to discuss the possibilities of what the next coaster might be because lets be honest we all want to see more high level coasters in Australia. 99 percent of people here agree that a big coaster is not the best move for the next major attraction, and I dont think anyone here is expecting one of these big annoucements to be a coaster. 

5 minutes ago, Coasterjoe said:

I want to clarify my comments regarding a Giga were completely tongue and cheek. As I have already stipulated as well, I dont think anyone here thinks that the next investment should be a big coaster. As coaster enthusiasts its fun to discuss the possibilities of what the next coaster might be because lets be honest we all want to see more high level coasters in Australia. 99 percent of people here agree that a big coaster is not the best move for the next major attraction, and I dont think anyone here is expecting one of these big annoucements to be a coaster. 

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's actually a giga S&S Axis coaster in ABC Kids World themed to the Big Red Plane.

Edited by Tricoart

So both Chessington and Legoland Germany are getting family versions of the B&M wing coaster

20220823_115809-jpg.1278742

World Of JUMANJI - Chessington World Of Adventures NEW For 2023 - YouTube

They already make family inverted coasters so i guess a gentle wing coaster is a natural progression.

https://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/product/family-coaster

Wouldn't mind seeing one of them here as a unique family ride.

• Like 2

Would be a very interesting concept for Dreamworld to construct, and if they do it right then yeah a Family Wing could be a pretty good fit for the park. Headed down the possibility of a clone, Chessington's is much smaller and built into the plot of land it resides, so for the sake of comparison I'll compare Legoland Germany's model. If this recreation turns out to be anything like the actual ride,

then this model should be a pretty great option to be cloned over, bridging the gap in Dreamworld's lineup quite nicely. Also, according to this article from it's announcement (https://zusammengebaut-com.translate.goog/legoland-deutschland-bekommt-weltexklusive-achterbahn-142193/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp), it's said to have cost around 15 million euro, or roughly 21-24 million AUD (24 mil with exchange rate at time of article, 21 mil with current rate), so even with increased costs as a result of being shipped and installed in Australia, it shouldn't be too far out of Dreamworld's budget.

However, it seems like it's still in the air as to if Legoland's model has a lift hill, or if it's got a swing launch like Chessington's (replacing the station & turn toward the lift in the above concept with a backwards launch & twisted spike, and having the spiral 'drop' end the same way that Chessington's will, that being with straight sideways track). So, in the case that it turns out to be a swing launch, then there are better options for Dreamworld IMO. This is at least partially due to my opinion towards launches (and especially swing launches at DW) being that Dreamworld, and to some extent the Gold Coast in general, should be getting more lifts and less launches.

Aside from that opinion, however, perhaps a more valid reason against the model would be (due to having no switch track like ST) both Chessington's and Legoland's would effectively be launched boomerangs, meaning longer ride times and lower capacity than a traditional block zone setup, which they can only really negate by great ops or getting 2 like MW. Also, the one thing unknown about these rides currently are their trains, and therefore their height requirements. And, unless there is something pretty funky going on with the trains (which, to be fair, has been somewhat theorized, as a result of them both on textbook containing an 'inversion' and spikes taken on your side), the requirement could end up pretty high, especially in Australia.

Edited by Tricoart

On 26/08/2022 at 5:59 PM, Baconjack said:

that covers all bases when the time comes to remove Gold Coaster.

Obviously Dreamworld needs the above mentioned first + a good dark ride & refresh for ABC kids and I assume this will be what is announced later on in the year, but this should come after in the next 10 years IMO

Some people seem to be experts at taking quotes completely out of context when I literally said "buy a thrill ride after ABC Kids and flume yada yada". Don't lump me in with the rest of this mob

Edited by Baconjack

43 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

literally said "buy a thrill ride after ABC Kids and flume yada yada"

As did most of the people that were quoted, either during the conversation or afterwards. Hence:

7 hours ago, Tricoart said:

I don't think anyone in the thread is even suggesting that they'll get a new thrill coaster in the next (at least) 5 years anymore, just discussing what it could be once that time comes.

There's no 'mob' to be lumped into, everything was taken out of context.

Edited by Tricoart

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

So both Chessington and Legoland Germany are getting family versions of the B&M wing coaster

20220823_115809-jpg.1278742

World Of JUMANJI - Chessington World Of Adventures NEW For 2023 - YouTube

They already make family inverted coasters so i guess a gentle wing coaster is a natural progression.

With the wing “shuttle” coaster, would it be worth spending $24m on? I don’t see it adding anything to the park’s line up and would imo be a waste of investment.

However, a family wing with the same type of layout as the predicted layout for Legoland constructed for say $19m (excl shipping and other costs), would be worth it. X-Flight at SFGAM Is $21m, im sure a full circuit family wing could be done around that price.

However, tearing EFMG down for a vekoma SFC or a B&M family coaster would be great.

3 hours ago, Gazza said:

Sometimes things look better on paper and I'm not convinced a family wing coaster would be any better than a inverted family coaster.  I would like to ride one before saying it's a good option for DW.

Lol Dreamworld just dropped $32 million on a big coaster.

The problem with a B&M family coaster is that you are getting too little ride for what you pay for. B&M is very expensive, and there's a reason why only cashed up Chinese parks and the equally cashed up Merlin chain have bought their family coasters. There are an array of cheaper options that parks here are already investing into. Why not a family woodie, or a spinning coaster, or one of those drop track coasters that will probably cost nearly the same amount? At that point you're delving into stuff that's got a real all-ages appeal.

Edited by Baconjack

RMC is the ticket.

- Australia's / southern hemisphere's first Hybrid roller coaster

- Australia's / southern hemisphere's steepest drop on a roller coaster (unlikely but remotely possible)

- Australia's / southern hemisphere's first outward banking turn

- Australia's / southern hemisphere's first zero g stall

etc etc.... and it could come with a family friendly height restriction to boot!

Edited by Dean Barnett

31 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

RMC is the ticket.

- Australia's / southern hemisphere's first Hybrid roller coaster

- Australia's / southern hemisphere's steepest drop on a roller coaster (unlikely but remotely possible) 

etc etc.... and it could come with a family friendly height restriction to boot!

well for steepest drop, it would have to be over 120° which is 29° steeper then their current steepest drop (91° - Iron Gwazi) so i can’t see that happening.

Green Lantern also has an outwards banking turn so again, that won’t work. 

Besides those two (unless Green Lanterns 1st investion counts as a stall) then i guess you’re right? Based on that article i can’t see them working with RMC soon to be honest.

Edited by Rivals

If they went all-in on an RMC and made a hyper-hybrid, they could get tallest/longest/fastest in the Southern Hem from DCR, tallest/longest/fastest hybrid in the Southern Hem, most airtime on a coaster in the Southern Hem, etc. But that's all pipe-dream territory, and I just can't shake the feeling that Dreamworld may view RMC as not being reliable/safe enough for their standards right now.

Edited by Tricoart

8 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

These kind of facts don’t mean anything to the GP though. Rivals had a lot of firsts if you want to brake it down, but all that really matters is height, speed, gforce, launches (if applicable) and specifically unique elements (like backwards/spinning seats)