Old Theme Park Pics

Ashley

Well I said a fog machine + LED would be the best option but yeah you could probably make that work if you really wanted to by shooting the flames up the lift at the same angle. Or something like this ( Journey to the Center of the Earth Spoiler Alert)  (spoiler: they don't) 

The other option that would work is the roof flames like this 

16 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

you could probably make that work if you really wanted to by shooting the flames up the lift at the same angle

No, you can't. Because even if you shoot it up the lift at the same angle, you still don't have 3 metres clearance laterally inside the lift tunnel.

End. Of. Story.

13 minutes ago, Rivals said:

smoke effects bursting out with orange lights would work fine enough.

I said this but everyone keeps looping back to flames 

27 minutes ago, Naazon said:

but wouldn't you just need to install a like, fireproof 'box' as such above to capture/stop the flame?

Yes - like the same as the previous video I posted 

23 minutes ago, New display name said:

Is the ceiling higher than 3m from a guest head?

It doesn’t matter if it’s 3 meters laterally 

You could theoretically fire flames over people - but you’d be dropping unburnt isopar onto them. 

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

Yeah but you can see from google earth that the entire lift tunnel is 5.5m so therefore it's not possible to be 3m away on either side so you shouldn't have suggested it.

image.thumb.png.359b4c9d12789640b463ae42faf24fa7.png

Wow man I really didn’t think this hypothetical discussion was gonna go to google earth measurement levels. Do the roof fire then. Simples. 

• Love it! 1

Come on man,

You kept going on about fire when the width nor height of the wwf lift tunnel is clearly not 3m in any dimension to allow it to be a safe distance away.

There’s no doubt fire on rides is possible, but its not possible to jam it into a tight spot that was never built for it.

See with escape from pompei, the sets themselves are at least 4 or 5m high and then the black space above means the show building is even higher and they have space for the ducts necessary for heat extraction when you have fire going off for an entire operating day in an enclosed space, not just at random times during an 80 min outdoor NRL game.

image.thumb.png.91caec274f81862b3b737c4b8f99f8f6.png

I’m guessing you’re going to come back and say “Yeah but they could just rebuild the lift tunnel to be bigger and made out of fire proof concrete and add air ducts” which if of course is possible but not affordable.

I don't think I was putting foward a legimate proposal at any stage to install flames into the existing ride. We all know they struggle to keep rides running - let alone retrofitting rides with new effects right now (look how well that worked on scoobie) I was just having a discussion.. on a discussion board. 

Again - I said the most fesable option was a smoke machine with a LED at the nozzle.. like one of the BTM's.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t the spark effects and associated infrastructure on WWF custom made specifically for the ride? Pretty sure I remember hearing it took a lot of R&D to implement them and they were designed specifically with the space in which they were being installed in mind. I don’t believe commercially available “off the shelf” components/systems were used. If true, it would be pretty difficult to reinstate the effect today (as great as that would be). 

Edited by Noll_57

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Gazza said:

Ok we need detail on this.

I tried to get John Longhurst to recall some information about it on a few occasions - what I've been able to cobble together is that he got exclusive rights to build a Corkscrew Coaster with Arrow Dynamics to do a midway style install similar to Cedar Point or Nagashima Spa Land where the corkscrew would head over the top of the pathway. During the construction of Dreamworld, he had a corkscrew fabricated to see how it would look in person, hated it, and when Keith Williams called about building one, he gave the rights away.

Interesting to think how that would've shaped the identity of Dreamworld, or if he had the funds he wanted, had built a castle instead of leasing the land to Kenny Lord to build Thunderbolt.

• Like 3