Movie World Scheduled Maintenance 2023

TBoy

It’s looking like that will have to happen if it keeps going on like this. Who knows, this maintenance period might have been its last chance to get operational.  Would a top scan fit in that plot? Do they even make top scans anymore?

Edited by REGIE

1 minute ago, Dean Barnett said:

Premier rides Sky Rocket II. 

I would prefer it to go to Sea World if one was brought to Village TBH. Movie World already has enough coasters (9 in 2025) and adding another will mean 1/2 of all rides would be coasters. Sea World is lacking in the ride department so I would send it there.

• Like 1

Doomsday is running today without the inversions! The cycle was less than a minute. It then broke down when the floor wouldn't raise under the gondolas. I think it's time has come...

Wild West Falls opened this afternoon, but closed shortly after with people having to do an "in show exit" from the ride.

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

Doomsday is running today without the inversions! The cycle was less than a minute. It then broke down when the floor wouldn't raise under the gondolas. I think it's time has come...

So, it’s essentially a glorified pirate ship now? looks like i was right about the fact they’d rather keep a barely functioning ride then admit the ride was a failure.

6 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Higher capacity, has the hang time sensation, reverse launches, great ride to watch, has quick cycles.. and it fits. 

IMG_8380.png

IMG_8381.png

I think it would be a much better fit at SeaWorld, preferably in the old Sea Viper plot of land. SeaWorld doesn’t have anything that goes backwards or a coaster with inversions and they only have one family launch coaster, whereas MovieWorld is adding SurfRider which is similar to a SRII, has 2 coasters that goes backwards and one with inversions. 

Edited by Rivals

I don’t understand how it’s such a lemon. It’s not like it’s going to have a completely different set of parts and operating system to other intamins.  It’s all going to be fairly tried and true technology.  I just don’t get how a multi million dollar machine from a good company could be so bad. Especially with all the modern technology we got now.  To me it’s like it’s not getting enough power. What does it run on? Electricity or diesel or something?

3 hours ago, Rivals said:

think it would be a much better fit at SeaWorld, preferably in the old Sea Viper plot of land. SeaWorld doesn’t have anything that goes backwards or a coaster with inversions and they only have one family launch coaster, whereas MovieWorld is adding SurfRider which is similar to a SRII, has 2 coasters that goes backwards and one with inversions.

I agree. Although I would love a corkscrew through back. Like a less intense little RMC single rail with a logo similar to corkscrew’s those rad Color’s and font. Or a little vekoma with a few inversions?  I feel like those sky rocket 2’s aren’t the prettiest rides. But they do look fun. 

(the clearest up close pic of corkscrews logo I could find.)

0DC7D3BC-F8F7-41CE-B545-48050949A9D2.jpeg

Edited by REGIE

18 minutes ago, REGIE said:

It’s not like it’s going to have a completely different set of parts and operating system to other intamins.

My understanding was that Intamin just sold the product, and it was constructed by ABC Fun Rides IIRC.

2 hours ago, Rivals said:

this is the max height the ride was swinging too yesterday, not sure if it was any higher today or not. 

IMG_3024.thumb.jpeg.dd143f31bbd4acaba7b4fd0ed28a30ad.jpeg

Jaggsjourneysau

This has made an already mediocre ride even worse. You’d probably have more fun on a playground swing. Operating the ride like this means it can’t get any speed, making it just a slow and very controlled swing. Obviously they’re having to operate the ride like this and for only 4 hours a day because the major issues it’s having haven’t been properly rectified.

Certainty not a good look for it, especially with that queue time sign! The cycle was also a lot shorter than normal, barely over a minute. To top it off, I heard someone coming off the ride say to his friends "Doomsday Sucks!"

Here's a clip of the ride in action today (moments before it broke down). This is as high as it got.

Edited by Ogre

18 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Here's a clip of the ride in action today (moments before it broke down). This is as high as it got.

Wow that is extremely slow. Even some of the kids rides would've been faster most likely!

I agree that the ride will most likely stay for a few more years (until WoO/Scooby is done) then in either 2025 or 2026 we will be saying goodbye. Remember the 10-year teardown period will happen in 2026, and I have a feeling that VRTP wont bother trying to fix a very unreliable ride and just remove it.

On 24/06/2023 at 5:13 PM, Dean Barnett said:

They'd be better off just putting a power surge somewhere to "replace it" for the school holidays. Merlin parks started putting temp flats in for peak periods and it seemed to be a hit

Best you speak quietly on these matters lest you awaken the wrath of Joz. 

Seriously though - travelling \ carnival \ trailered attractions do not belong at Movie World. Full Stop.

23 hours ago, REGIE said:

Would a top scan fit in that plot? Do they even make top scans anymore?

I think a top scan is probably more intense than even the twin hammer. I don't think it would be a good fit for MW - they need an attraction with a lower bar to entry to appeal to a wider swath of park guests.

20 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Higher capacity, has the hang time sensation, reverse launches, great ride to watch, has quick cycles.. and it fits. 
image.thumb.png.fb354cf3228c0e06216bfea1dd598a67.png

Doomsday's length is not even 35 metres. Your drawing doesn't allow for the fact that showcase has a fire exit pathway right behind the ride - you can't block it with an attraction, and extending further towards HWSD arena you start to cause other issues with traffic flow.

While it technically can "fit" in there, the reality and practicality of fitting it in there means it can't actually fit.

The attraction is also quite forbidding - it has a high height requirement, the comfort collars suck ass, and it's cycle capacity is half of what Doomsday was originally quoted to do. 

I've ridden Electric Eel in San Diego, and while it was an attraction I enjoyed, I was the only person in my group who even wanted to give it a go. On the station, there were many people bailing out last minute - including after being seated. 

It's cool and all, but it's absolutely the wrong choice as a replacement for Doomsday. 

map_20221026.thumb.png.3ca077a15f143b34af020fbeddcdf80d.png

20 hours ago, TBoy said:

I would prefer it to go to Sea World if one was brought to Village TBH

I was going to say this also - something like the Sky Rocket would suit Sea World (though I suppose that's coloured with my having ridden one at another SeaWorld) - but the more I think about it, I don't think our Sea World has a spot on the lineup for that. We've already got one polarising extreme attraction with Vortex, and with an attraction lineup as short as SW's is, i'm not sure that this is the right fit for the park either...?