Movie World Hotel

flipst3r

14 hours ago, biasesumo said:

At least, in the spirit of good fun and good news, they’re planning on tearing down that stupid light sign along the M1.

Should redirect some of that much needed electricity to a place that so desperately needs it.

https://7news.com.au/news/qld/controversial-gold-coast-public-art-installation-to-be-torn-down-c-10038377.amp

It’s hard to tell what it says even from the proper viewing point… I do feel like ripping it out is kinda a waste. It’s there now maybe just cut power to it.  That section of QLD feels like Detroit or something with all the huge abandoned buildings and weird abandoned car park under the BP

09BDDD01-BEBA-4C26-8E22-54CF5E5D8864.jpeg

3 hours ago, REGIE said:

It’s hard to tell what it says even from the proper viewing point… I do feel like ripping it out is kinda a waste. It’s there now maybe just cut power to it.  That section of QLD feels like Detroit or something with all the huge abandoned buildings and weird abandoned car park under the BP

09BDDD01-BEBA-4C26-8E22-54CF5E5D8864.jpeg

It’s a location marker for hoons which is why it’s being removed. 

have you been to Detroit? 

The thing about public art is sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not, but 100% of the time stuff designed by council committee is shit, so you have to take a chance, this chance just didn't happen to come off. It was fairly predictable, I mean I saw it coming and commented on what it would look like when you're driving before they built it, but so what? It cost a million or so bucks, which a lot to us as individuals, but it's nothing I'm the grand scheme of things.

Not sad it's going, it was pretty shit, but was never outraged by it either. As an aside the one at the airport looks good 👍🏻 

• Like 1

Thing is, they could have done so much more with it. It would have looked better if they flipped it so it spelt "Gold Coast" as you drove down the M1 towards the Gold Coast. I would have also had color changing lights like what the Story Bridge in Brisbane (and many others) have so that for special events it could be color co-ordinated. Example, St Patricks Day it could be lit up green. For Pride month it could have been rainbow coloured, world AIDS day red etc.

It wasn't a terrible idea really, it just wasn't executed very well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

Thing is, they could have done so much more with it. It would have looked better if they flipped it so it spelt "Gold Coast" as you drove down the M1 towards the Gold Coast. I would have also had color changing lights like what the Story Bridge in Brisbane (and many others) have so that for special events it could be color co-ordinated. Example, St Patricks Day it could be lit up green. For Pride month it could have been rainbow coloured, world AIDS day red etc.

It wasn't a terrible idea really, it just wasn't executed very well.

Being in the position it was in, i'm not sure they could have done colour changing lights.

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised nobody else got this up yet - GCB reported yesterday that council officers had recommended the hotel be approved by council. There was a summary of objections and details of the reasons why it should be approved. I can't get past the paywall but i'm sure somebody else can...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjm7qn8vsuAAxWOxDgGHeUlDYAQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldcoastbulletin.com.au%2Fnews%2Fgold-coast%2Frevealed-city-set-to-approve-333-million-hotel-complex-at-movie-world%2Fnews-story%2F20360e3e6838ec1ee47e9682a2ec4d58&usg=AOvVaw2GtYE1ZfbOlkWZGMb6yzfM&opi=89978449

I am glad to hear that Energex and council officers now supports the hotel, if it is built that means Village will have 1005 rooms across Sea World Resort and Movie World hotel, not even counting the Paradise Country hotel, which is pretty good. In comparison Shanghai Disney Resort only has 215 more rooms.

I am hoping they can make a deal with WB to use their characters in the hotel, even if the hotel has the rake. For example they could theme the kids zone in the hotel to Looney Tunes, and theme some of the restaurants.

At first I thought a hotel of this size was silly for the parks out towards Oxenford, but considering that this will also service the Studios and inadvertently Dreamworld, I think it's a good addition to the area. Only issues I can see for Movie World is whether this ends up casting a big dirty shadow over the park for a majority of the day but I guess in Summer that wont be objected to. 

2 hours ago, Guest 239 said:

At first I thought a hotel of this size was silly for the parks out towards Oxenford, but considering that this will also service the Studios and inadvertently Dreamworld, I think it's a good addition to the area. Only issues I can see for Movie World is whether this ends up casting a big dirty shadow over the park for a majority of the day but I guess in Summer that wont be objected to. 

Given the orientation of the park and location of the hotel, there is unlikely to be any shadowing over the park whatsoever in operating hours 

• Like 1

A $333 million hotel development at Movie World next to the Gold Coast’s film studios is recommended for approval by council officers.

Councillors at a planning committee meeting on Thursday will vote on the project with officers in a report backing the plans by Village Roadshow Theme Parks.

The 22-storey, 600 room hotel will feature a “panoramic sky deck”, infinity pool, bar and restaurants on its 21st level.

Council received 22 objections with residents concerned about building height and scale, the impact on traffic and localised flooding. Four other submitters wrote of their support.

The mega development on the theme park’s existing car park, fronting Entertainment Road at Oxenford, will include stand-alone entertainment and function facilities.

“The development footprint is located primarily within existing carparking areas, which are proposed to be modified to accommodate the proposal,” officers said.

“Additional carparking spaces and internal road networks are proposed to service the development as well as Movie World.” 

Planning officers after a detailed assessment found:

• the building height and scale will directly support and enhance the city’s tourism and film making industries by providing for a modern, large scale short-term accommodation and function facility within a major tourism and film studio precinct.

• approving the height would not spark adverse development due to the unique nature and location of the subject site. 

• the building is located centrally within the site, significantly setback from property boundaries and adjoining uses, to reduce any visual impacts and any direct amenity concerns.

• the development provides for an excellent standard of architectural design.

The development application was impact assessable because the proposed 79m building height exceeds the level identified on an overlay map of 27m. 

Officers reviewed potential traffic impacts from the development on the busy surrounding road network.

Residents have warned the hotel will “choke Oxenford traffic even worse than Exit 57 M1 traffic does now”.

But officers believe there will not be any adverse impacts due to the short-term accommodation check in and check out times.

Functions would be staged outside of existing peak hour traffic periods of weekday mornings and afternoons, they said. 

A nine-storey development was approved for the site but an increase was sought “to better serve the current and growing needs of Gold Coast’s tourism sector”. 

“The proposed development directly supports and enhances the Village Roadshow site and its three major theme parks and attractions — Movie World, Wet’n’Wild and Outback Spectacular,” officers said.

The hotel would deliver an integrated and consolidated tourism node in the theme park precinct in the north of the Coast.

It also would serve as a much needed accommodation option for the film studios, including travelling staff and crew to further boost the city’s movie industry.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Given the orientation of the park and location of the hotel, there is unlikely to be any shadowing over the park whatsoever in operating hours 

This checks out. The below plot is a rough shadow map of Batwing based on Nearmap shots. (North is up). The blue lines are taken at various times throughout the years but all are 10am or later in the day. The red line is the only one where the photo is taken prior - at approximately 8:30am

image.thumb.png.ac14a29f6b0ec274970bbc3d23f17383.pngimage.thumb.png.4a099cf401b1c268da84719095429d99.png

Batwing is approximately 60 metres high. The new hotel is proposed to be approximately 80. If someone wants to dust of their pythagoras books and work it out precisely go for it, but i'm gonna do some back of the napkin math and say the longest shadow is 150% of the tower height - so our 80 metre hotel shouldn't cast more than a 120m shadow:

image.thumb.png.c84db4213b10b4f348b2f8690fa7e611.png

I've guestimated the tower position but i'd say this is pretty spot on. In the early morning it might just kiss Road Runner, but the front entrance will still cop full sun. It's so perfect when you imagine the batwing lines replicated in the same fashion, it avoids almost every part of the "on-stage" park, i'm almost inclined to say this was their intention.

• Like 3

Councillors at a planning committee meeting on Thursday were unanimous in supporting an officer recommendation to approve a $333m hotel development at Movie World.

Plans by Village Roadshow Theme Parks show a 22-storey, 600-room hotel featuring a “panoramic sky deck”, infinity pool, bar and restaurants on its 21st level at Oxenford.

Gold Coast City Council received 22 objections with residents concerned about building height and scale, the impact on traffic and localised flooding.

The mega development on the theme park’s existing ­carpark, fronting Entertainment Road at Oxenford, will include stand-alone entertainment and function facilities.

Councillor Peter Young voiced concerns about the removal of long-standing trees which provided amenity to the front of the car park.

He also asked for officers to address the acoustic impact from having the hotel at a precinct surrounded by residential properties.

About 20 functions a year are planned and their approval supported by officers.

But area councillor William Owen-Jones successfully argued for only 12 a year.

He said the Oxenford community “after 20 years in training” acknowledged the theme park performed an important economic function employing staffers and they expected activity on the site.

But he admitted there was a “wrestle” about how many functions could be staged.

Deputy Mayor Donna Gates said the project was a “good indicator of the city’s growth”.

“I think it will be a fantastic addition to the northern Gold Coast and one everyone will admire,” she said.

Committee chair Mark Hammel said the hotel would add to much needed convention space for the city and give a $100 million uplift to the economy during the construction stage.

He said 500 jobs would be provided at the hotel in what was a $100 million boost to salaries in the longer term.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/councillors-support-approval-for-333m-sixstar-ritz-carlton-movie-world-hotel/news-story/4794ab1d8614687968d7eebc5b27d10d

In the end it doesn't really matter what conditions council put on the hotel because Village can ask for changed by taking the council to the planning and environment court.  I believe council only put conditions on approvals to save face with the voters and can blame the courts when the court overrides the council.