Dreamworld announces Wave Swinger, Dreamland (DreamWorks retheme) and new coasters

Ashley Jeffery

2 hours ago, New display name said:

At this point, people are just using google to design a theme park.

It’s more that trying to update a place like Dreamworld relying on bog standard flat rides, in the hopes that they’ll be enough to draw crowds, isn’t really the best direction for the park to be going.

I’ve since moved back to Australia after a year in the US and I don’t think I could be convinced to invest in a season ticket unless they did something truly interesting. The Jungle Rush Coaster, for instance, is interesting. A Swinger ride is frankly not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, biasesumo said:

It’s more that trying to update a place like Dreamworld relying on bog standard flat rides, in the hopes that they’ll be enough to draw crowds, isn’t really the best direction for the park to be going.

Then why did you suggest a new flat ride, if you wouldn't go to DW to ride it?

I mean in his defence, his suggestion was that DW needed something weird rather than something bog standard. TBH I'm out of the loop on the flat ride scene, I thought the one suggested WAS bog standard when I first saw it.

Again I don't think it's about attracting more people, but more about the guests that are there not feeling like the place has been gutted.

24 minutes ago, biasesumo said:

I’ve since moved back to Australia after a year in the US and I don’t think I could be convinced to invest in a season ticket unless they did something truly interesting. The Jungle Rush Coaster, for instance, is interesting. A Swinger ride is frankly not.

I think though that you need to have some staples in addition to your unusual stuff. 

A 'swings' ride, a 'pendulum' ride, a 'flume or boat' ride, a 'spinny' ride, a 'dodgems \ drive yourself' ride, a 'all of the family \ carousel' ride.

Not necessarily all of these, and not an exhaustive list, but you need to have some of these basics in your roster to round out the park's offering.

Or to put it another way, it's to prevent:

5 minutes ago, joz said:

feeling like the place has been gutted.

Oh absolutely. Not much point attempting to revitalise your theme park by adding something unusual that wouldn’t appeal to the majority of visitors. Mainly the families. 

I think losing a lot of the family-centric Dreamworks rides and Rocky Hollow makes me wonder what there is to even do at the park anymore. They’ve lost so many of their fundamental “traditional” theme park rides. 

As an aside, it’s such a creepy feeling walking around a theme park with not much going on. I’ve seen kinetics mentioned a bunch in this thread and I think it should be something Dreamworld factors in to their updated plans. l don’t think the park is in dire need of overall capacity updates, it just needs something else for people to do/look at haha.

35 minutes ago, New display name said:

Then why did you suggest a new flat ride, if you wouldn't go to DW to ride it?

All I was saying is I couldn’t be convinced to buy a ticket to the park if it would only be to ride a newly added swinger-style ride.

I only experienced Sky Voyager after Steel Taipan was added to the park. Sky Voyager, with it being a flying theatre, isn’t even “bog standard” by Australian theme park standards. If I wasn’t already very familiar with Soarin’ in all its iterations, I probably would’ve bought a ticket to the park just to check it out. 

On 27/2/2023 at 3:23 PM, REGIE said:

I think it will be in their plan to put some ride there. If they wanted to do a tribute to wipeout they could get a intamin tourbillon but that ride would probably have just as many maintenance issues as wipeout did.  What do you guys think would be the perfect ride for that spot? What ever goes there would look sick with gold coaster behind it. 

Lol why.

All of these are lemon flats. Six Flags is already removing one of theirs they bulk bought just because of how much of a lemon it is. And from what I hear the ride experience isn’t that great either.

Dreamworld was held back by the amount of unique flats and coasters they had that were a nightmare to maintain. Buying another of them is idiotic after all they’ve had to go through. 

Get a free spin or a cheap flat like a super loop. Dreamworld needs its e tickets but it needs filler more.

Edited by Baconjack

6 hours ago, joz said:

Again I don't think it's about attracting more people, but more about the guests that are there not feeling like the place has been gutted.

Personally I feel like they are doing a good job of this. Painting main station, GD, GC and doing up areas at a time is great. It’s been a bit gutted in rides but it’s definitely alive at least at the front of the park. It’s got a nice atmosphere I think and all these additions will add to that. That’s not to say they don’t need more rides they need ALOT 2 filler a water ride a major thrill coaster and a dark ride. But I am not expecting this in one year maybe over the next 7-10 years. 

Dreamworlds path/future of attractions to come needs to be carefully thought through. They need to make sure they are reliable attractions, but will also be popular for people of all ages. One or two more attractions focusing on the thrill seeker market would be great. But with the poor financial situation they were in, they can’t just go and buy new rides to lift the attraction count up (which is what they were doing and look how that turned out). I’m all for a couple more flat rides to increase the count, but they need to be very well considered and have evidence throughout the world they are reliable. They can’t risk doing a Six Flags and buy a manufacturers newest ride because it could be a lemon.

9 hours ago, New display name said:

At this point, people are just using google to design a theme park.

I'm just waiting for the likes of Review Tyme to come out with 'we built an entire theme park using ChatGPT'

6 hours ago, New display name said:

So we are in agreeance @DaptoFunlandGuyDW need a flume or boat ride and not a spin and spew.

Hasn't this been the general consensus since Rocky Hollow got removed?  

20 hours ago, New display name said:

So we are in agreeance @DaptoFunlandGuyDW need a flume or boat ride and not a spin and spew.

No we are not. All things considered, the current path is the right one. The Swinger, Rivertown, Dreamland, all of it. A water ride while they're still trying to win back confidences is foolish. Once these new installs write the new Dreamworld chapter, the next thing should be that, but not before. 

Updates/Pics from Today:

New sign’s up:

D323D074-DE45-4942-A082-FD68AFBF069E.thumb.jpeg.db712c1d703ceed264e347c005164e34.jpeg

DE0B86D0-9C5B-4D86-9E24-DF7910EE3CDB.thumb.jpeg.f5bb6aa62316f9c318a6c4b82acc4cb6.jpeg

The updated placeholder map is also at the park:

1D55ADE8-DD66-49F1-BB34-DD31F8ADD48B.thumb.jpeg.b99364194e35ec7c4284c55fdc7d41ab.jpeg

Some of the dodgems are already operating under the new paint:

4C547B44-224E-4CDD-9C4F-DB69B7298427.thumb.jpeg.686d0469dff097ed904f53de4989683e.jpeg

Some random pics of the Madagascar area:

7B43EA0A-4375-45D3-AF71-6A7D309E87D2.thumb.jpeg.8b50b949345daa15500c2f654e59e9c6.jpeg

F6452702-CF85-40DC-96EE-F16ED574D1DC.thumb.jpeg.b53676a2ec8e13c22875e9159e2dc172.jpeg(pick a colour, any colour)

Pics of the Giant Drop (pardon that they’re washed out, I accidentally shot them raw & had to use a sketch online converter for them to upload):

CDFD8457-B290-4D5D-8EAB-DC99EEB89D6A.thumb.jpeg.b26a8b2441b04ab433bbed6bc5ae0f85.jpeg

ECD0AABF-C464-452C-9FCD-51701E1CEF0F.thumb.jpeg.f9579d50333280745a95dda5c30cd84f.jpeg

F675BCED-AD30-4D90-9C8E-FF08977DF258.thumb.jpeg.81547932ed6d16d9bcd8f31daa72a29d.jpeg

Didn’t expect this’d still be there:

1B32E289-B1A5-4784-8453-91A3D1C1C3CF.thumb.jpeg.74787833f916bc84d47645095de1f0ad.jpeg

Also didn’t expect this’d be here either. I don’t remember seeing it before, and judging by the lack of rust on the screws, it seems like a new sign. It was right beside the old Sheep Shearing Show shed. Maybe some Dreamworld loremasters might know what this is referring to, if anything:

1CD9C2D3-F3A5-48FF-B5CB-9E9C0AD41C67.thumb.jpeg.bceb92ccad6deb65c935b47c38311085.jpeg

A minor tack-on nugget of info as I’m leaving, blacktop’s being added to the entrance to Dreamland:

2B0313EA-4262-43BA-B5F3-9F0D2BF2D1D9.thumb.jpeg.5d14b0b56183d6060db639bda3fc90a6.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

I know, I'm disgusted in myself, but it makes sense from an operational perspective. The park already has a reputation for being gutted and they can't really afford to have this land down for any extended period of time. I'd imagine there are some stipulations from Dreamworks to have any theming connected to their IP removed by X date. This is likely the quick and nasty response to that.

Other than operationally - I don't love it. Like, what's the story here? What are these little things meant to be? I predict that down the line this will likely cause more problems than it immediately solves.

Probably the only reason why I don't despise it is because I have a fondness for the colour blue.