Murrisippi Motors - Vintage Cars to be relocated to Rivertown area at Dreamworld

Rabbit2014

26 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Needs to be "push a pedal and it goes"

Literal absoloute bare minimum requirement. I can't help but think that there must be a way to install some kind of proximity sensors that slow or stop a car if it gets too close to the one in front. Could you do this to with authentic cars? Maybe? But if getting rid of the real car element is the solution, then you haven't really solved it, you've just made something different that sucks.

Like I say, I'm not thinking about DW in this discussion. I'm just thinking about what's good and what isn't. Electric Vintage cars are not good. I think deep down people know that to be true.

7 minutes ago, joz said:

Literal absoloute bare minimum requirement. I can't help but think that there must be a way to install some kind of proximity sensors that slow or stop a car if it gets too close to the one in front. Could you do this to with authentic cars? Maybe? But if getting rid of the real car element is the solution, then you haven't really solved it, you've just made something different that sucks.

Would you start playing around with this stuff when your last set up killed 4 people?

• Like 1

If there's one thing we've learned from TRR, adding things that make rides stop generally isn't a bad thing.

The thing of it is if you're DW, and you've already got vintage cars that are underpeforming, you say 'Hey we've got these under utilised assets (you say stuff like 'assets' because you're in management), we could move these somewhere else where it would perform better'. What you wouldn't do is say 'Hey why don't we get rid of this, and then from scratch build something utterly pointless and stupid version of the same thing that's vaugley similar'. Also they're still happy to run it for now, so apparently it's not that big of a deal, they can't be that dangerous or they'd be gone already.

DW is in a no-win situation here.  DW could have said we are closing the Vintage cars and opening a new car ride, but all the golden year people would be crying. 

Side note: I'm sick of hearing about the golden years.  It's like seeing your grandad and him telling you about the past.  I went DW in the 80’s and the Thunderbolt sucked, but I didn’t know that because we had nothing to compare it too.  In fact, a good 50% of the rides sucked.

• Thanks 1

DW is in a no-win situation here.  DW could have said we are closing the Vintage cars and opening a new car ride, but all the golden year people would be crying. 

Side note: I'm sick of hearing about the golden years.  It's like seeing your grandad and him telling you about the past.  I went DW in the 80’s and the Thunderbolt sucked, but I didn’t know that because we had nothing to compare it too.  In fact, a good 50% of the rides sucked.

Just WOW “New display name” You obviously have a hatred for Dreamworld and Golden Years. Jealous maybe from all the success Golden Years have??? Ever heard of a saying “got nothing nice to say don’t say it” You only make yourself look like a fool and your an embarrassment.Nostalgia works and sells. That’s why Dreamworld has increased its visitor numbers and made a profit. Just remember Sea worlds 50th used “nostalgia” and also Movie Worlds 30th did the same. How about contributing in a professional kind way rather than whinging and bitching and being a keyboard bully. We are ALL here for the love of theme parks.

It’s the exact same ride just quieter, the only people who’ll notice is people who love cars. I mean i’ve never even heard of “model t ford” (i have no idea if that’s the correct name or not so don’t bash me) and i don’t think the average guest would be going to go see a ride with model t ford parts, so what the purpose of up keeping it if you can get a cheaper to maintain, more reliable option of the same attractions.

Edited by Rivals

38 minutes ago, Greg said:

Just WOW “New display name” You obviously have a hatred for Dreamworld and Golden Years. Jealous maybe from all the success Golden Years have??? Ever heard of a saying “got nothing nice to say don’t say it” You only make yourself look like a fool and your an embarrassment.Nostalgia works and sells. That’s why Dreamworld has increased its visitor numbers and made a profit. Just remember Sea worlds 50th used “nostalgia” and also Movie Worlds 30th did the same. How about contributing in a professional kind way rather than whinging and bitching and being a keyboard bully. We are ALL here for the love of theme parks.

Your the Admin then?

37 minutes ago, Rivals said:

It’s the exact same ride just quieter, the only people who’ll notice is people who love cars. I mean i’ve never even heard of “model t ford” (i have no idea if that’s the correct name or not so don’t bash me) and i don’t think the average guest would be going to go see a ride with model t ford parts, so what the purpose of up keeping it if you can get a cheaper to maintain, more reliable option of the same attractions.

You don't think people will notice the difference between a ride-on mower and bumper car?

14 hours ago, Greg said:

A professional and kind way refers to other people's opinions as whinging and bitching now?

13 hours ago, Ashley Jeffery said:

Your the Admin then?

He isn't, but he's a big fan of golden years (in case you missed that) and from memory has provided them with a lot of content... just so we've got full disclosure on where everyone is coming from.

I have a simple example for this debate actually. 

Autopia at Hong Kong disney is still fun and popular because you ‘drive the car’. The engine is now electric and it has simulated noises but fundamentally the guide rail/steering and speed control is the same as the DLR petrol counterparts. So if they do this style that’s totally fine. 

If its the Wonderland style where you basically could just sit there arms folded and it made no difference it would suck. 

Something like Radiator Springs Racers shows you can simulate a petrol engine sound and feel effectively. I know Disney level is a stretch, but hey the park is already allowing the implication they are building Indiana Jones and Temple of the Forbidden Eye ;)

22 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

New ride vehicles are more modern improvements on out of date technology, which will no doubt also reduce the maintenance and operating expenses, something the park really needs to do.

Let's be really clear here - there's a lot of fluff there because the reality is you can't realistically reduce the operating or maintenance costs on what is essentially a dropped-in four-stroke petrol engine. The cost to run and maintain that ride is next to nothing, and the amortisation on the parts that do need replacing make the whole ride very affordable from a cash flows perspective.

Totally happy to hear that for the reasons Ardent have told @themagician on why they're buying new cars is to keep people more secure and to make some or all of them more accessible. That's fine and worth looking at. But Dreamworld shouldn't also be saying that they're moving the ride, because unless they're digging the concrete out of the ground there's nothing being moved and it's all going to the scrap heap. Which is a shame, because the parts, as mentioned, on those things are genuine, real, brass and steel Model-T Ford parts that have been with the park since the day it opened, and John Longhurst went through a lot of pain and effort to source those parts to create an experience for kids that felt real. And here we are, yet again, with another set of details being lost to time because it's cheaper and easier to chuck it in the bin than preserve what's there.

19 hours ago, Gazza said:

Needs to be "push a pedal and it goes" type deal.

Absolutely agreed here. Being able to push a pedal and pretend to steer is why every young boy at one point or another (myself included) wants to go on these things. Not having that makes it a dud.

8 minutes ago, Slick said:

But Dreamworld shouldn't also be saying that they're moving the ride, because unless they're digging the concrete out of the ground there's nothing being moved and it's all going to the scrap heap. Which is a shame, because the parts, as mentioned, on those things are genuine, real, brass and steel Model-T Ford parts that have been with the park since the day it opened, and John Longhurst went through a lot of pain and effort to source those parts to create an experience for kids that felt real. And here we are, yet again, with another set of details being lost to time because it's cheaper and easier to chuck it in the bin than preserve what's there.

When MDMC came along and the vintage cars were moved to the back of the park, other than the vehicles, didn’t everything else get scrapped. And everyone can agree that when they ‘moved the ride’ 15 years ago, they definitely didn’t just move the ride because it went from being a great attraction for everyone to a boring attraction for most. Relocating the idea of the attraction back to the front half of the park is fantastic news because it ensure the concept of the ride will live on for decades to come, and will hopefully offer the same if not better experience than the original. At least now there won’t be the tower of terror roaring while you’re trying to enjoy a peaceful drive around Rivertown. 

I don’t really care if they move or do new, as long as the cars are good. 

It’s not the silliest idea to say move, because if they say ‘all new’ people will just say “oh they just moved the other cars”. 
Remember idiots think Wipeout is at Sea World now

4 minutes ago, themagician said:

When MDMC came along and the vintage cars were moved to the back of the park, other than the vehicles, didn’t everything else get scrapped. And everyone can agree that when they ‘moved the ride’ 15 years ago, they definitely didn’t just move the ride because it went from being a great attraction for everyone to a boring attraction for most. Relocating the idea of the attraction back to the front half of the park is fantastic news because it ensure the concept of the ride will live on for decades to come, and will hopefully offer the same if not better experience than the original. At least now there won’t be the tower of terror roaring while you’re trying to enjoy a peaceful drive around Rivertown. 

To be clear, the ride vehicles moved to Corroboree, so pretty easy to say the ride moved. The only thing that’s moving is the spirit of the ride. By that logic, if I buy a new road car somehow it’s the same car as the one I had before because they have the same spirit. 

• Like 1