Superman Escape v Steel Taipan

TBoy

Superman Escape vs. Steel Taipan  

104 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Pick one of the options, and the one with the most votes will win.

• Superman Escape (Movie World)
    • Steel Taipan (Dreamworld)

We were just saying “based” on what people have said and what I have seen on videos a lot of Disney rides look pretty boring. I can’t see the appeal in dark rides much unless it’s a dark ride + log flume/coaster.  But yes it’s true I have never been but I feel like if I was in California I would spend the money to go to knotts berry farm but I would think twice before going to Disney. Same with Orlando when there’s universal islands of adventure right there. But have you been? Is it better then it looks?  Are any of the coasters that good? Because other then space mountain most the coasters seem easily topped by what’s at QLD

Edited by REGIE

Perhaps the small fantasyland dark rides are bit meh, but there are some really good high energy "Dark Rides" like Indiana Jones, Rise of the Resistance (And who could forget Guardians of the Galaxy, Mission Breakout!) Radiator Springs Racers falls into a similar category.

And the substantial ones like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion etc. are great too.

As for the coasters, well if you love Scooby then Space Mountain is like that on steroids. 

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 1

In my opinion you can't compare MW to Disney. In my personal opinion, I see it as a combination of Universal/Six Flags. The general vibe seems closer to Universal than Disney, and the attractions seem similar to Six Flags, as well as the WB characters. Some examples are that main street/the park layout look similar to Universal (Hollywood in particular) while DCR and JL look like something out of Six Flags (Justice League: Battle from Metropolis at multiple SF parks was based of JL: Alien Invasion at MW IIRC)

I haven’t been to Disneyland for 22 years but I would just as happily go on any and every ride when I get there next 

if you have happiness and joy within you - you’ll find them all fun and enjoyable regardless of your age. 

And there is certainly decent thrills and excitement in many of the offerings, and that was before CA opened which I just missed last time around 

• Like 2

I think I could get out to California some point in the next 4 years I got family close to there which is a good excuse.  I actually had a dream last night I was lining up for tower of terror at Disney but it broke down beofre I got on.  Has anyone been out to universal studios California? I believe there’s a universal park out there but I got no idea what it’s got. is there anything worth entry price?

This topic has randomly turned into a Disney vs everyone else topic, but sure, I'll put in my penny's worth.

Disney does not have the biggest and most thrilling rides. They don't, and they won't. That's not what they're trying to market.

They're trying to market their IP, whether that's Mickey, Star Wars, Marvel, or themselves. Yes, they've got all that market, but apart from the characters and the lightsabers, Disney is Disney. They're a prestige brand - hell, they're THE prestige brand. If you go to Disney, you expect it to be absolutely flawless, and that's what I've found whenever I've been (true, it has been a while though).

Disney is about theming and atmosphere. Yes, you could say that those things are surface level only, but they do them extraordinarily well, leaving no detail untouched. Universal do well at this too, and have invested a lot - the Harry Potter stuff is nearly mind-blowing until you (quickly) realise you're walking around a snow-covered village in 30 degree heat with thousands of tourists. But Universal, and Islands of Adventure, is too uncoordinated, what with the quaint Port of Entry, modern Marvel city, downright strange cartoon land, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter land, the remains of the Mythic Continent thingy, and childish Seuss Landing. Their IPs don't really feel, whereas (at least mostly) Disney just says "oh here's a western area, and this is a fantasy area".

Plus there's generally just a lot of nostalgia about Disney. My wife and I last went about ten years ago, with no kids. We were kinda gutted we couldn't get on the Peter Pan ride.

Thanks to all for supporting my point about Disney parks. 

For mine, one of the big things is you don't need super big thrills to absolutely enjoy the attractions - imagineers know how to make what looks like a very slow moving attraction into a thrilling one without the need for high speed, or inversions, both of which can put people off. Indiana Jones is a great example of this - I think the quoted speed is 23km/h but it feels fast... and the experience is just as thrilling with plenty of near misses and jump scares etc.

I guess I'm just too analytical/pessimistic, but I don't really care if there's a screen with motion blur or a few flashing lights trying to make me feel faster, while in reality I'm just experiencing the average force of a railway train departing a station. On the off chance I'm able to go to the US at all, I'd just prefer to spend their exorbitant entry fees on an extra day at IoA, SWO, or BGT. I know you don't need thrills, I love Storm, JR & Levi at Sea World despite them being much less thrilling than the big boys at DW & MW, but I wouldn't pay the insane entrance fees that at best only get you admission to 3 parks that have a few of those and a ton of dark rides that do even less. If you like them, all power to ya, but they’re just not for me.

Edited by Tricoart

21 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

I guess I'm just too analytical/pessimistic, but I don't really care if there's a screen with motion blur or a few flashing lights trying to make me feel faster, while in reality I'm just experiencing the average force of a railway train departing a station. On the off chance I'm able to go to the US at all, I'd just prefer to spend their exorbitant entry fees on an extra day at IoA, SWO, or BGT. I know you don't need thrills, I love Storm, JR & Levi at Sea World despite them being much less thrilling than the big boys at DW & MW, but I wouldn't pay the insane entrance fees that at best only get you admission to 3 parks that have a few of those and a ton of dark rides that do even less. If you like them, all power to ya, but they’re just not for me.

One of the main things about Disney is that there are enough unique ride systems that make it worthwhile, think rides like

-TOT/ Mission Breakout

-Test Track / Radiator Springs Racers

-Indiana Jones

-Mission Space

-Rise of the Resistance

-Flight of Passage

-Soarin (Though I know there are more flying theatres, the original is the best imho)

I guess its hard to describe, but all of their rides are greater than the sum of their parts.

4 days at Disneyworld is a bit expensive, but I'd still day a day at Disneyland is unmissable, its one of the best one day park experiences you can get.

Disney are all about storytelling. They may not have the tallest or fastest rides, but for some their storytelling will make them feel more than any thrill ride can. Space Mountain is nowhere near the best coaster in the world, but when you combine the setting, pacing, visuals and insanely good music it quickly becomes my favourite coaster experience. 

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

in reality I'm just experiencing the average force of a railway train departing a station.

I mean, my car down the highway to Movieworld is faster than all but 1 coaster at movieworld, and even then less than 10% faster than the speed limit and I'm faster than the fastest ride there...

Even the thrill rides are quite thrilling at Disney. Look at any of the Test Track style rides. And they all are more than just rides, they are immersive experiences, that's why installing unthemed S&S drop towers at DCA didn't work.

Big Grizzly Mountain for example is one of my favourite roller coasters, I personally rate it above the likes of Jet Rescue and Scooby. One of the things I like about it is that it feels a lot faster than it really is (56 km/h on the launch if I'm not mistaken) because it almost entirely takes place at ground level and the land that its built in is designed in a way that makes you feel like you're really there, plus the presentations during the course are good to watch.

22 hours ago, REGIE said:

I can’t see the appeal in dark rides much unless it’s a dark ride + log flume/coaster.  

Yeah nah this ain't it. Disney dark rides are another thing entirely, to draw from the same park, Mystic Manor is easily the most immersive and well presented theme park ride I've ever been on, and a few jump scares and presentatons to keep guests engaged. And punters seem to like it too, because it was getting 1.5 hour lines on my visit.

Imagineers have taken decades to hone their craft and I still believe they are the best in the business despite Universal playing catch up and disney execs limiting their possibilities. Thoosies having a crack at disney for their rides not being tall or fast enough is highly cringe as that is not what disney's about.

Edited by Baconjack