VRTP's New Uniform

5 hours ago, New display name said:

or pull a DW and not maintain their rides?

Last time I checked they just ran multiple huge refurb runs. The biggest being GD .  Doing now serpent slayer probably gave that ride a few more years. 

Yes I realise you put /s on the back but dragging DW in seems a bit silly.

Village should just buy DW and dominate the Gold Coast at this point.

Edited by REGIE

5 minutes ago, REGIE said:

Village should just buy DW and dominate the Gold Coast at this point.

No no no no. Very bad idea.

The reason Village and Ardent are investing heavily into theming is due to competition. If Dreamworld was acquired by Village it would end up being a bad option, as Village would most likely slack off theming etc. due to there being no competition and not having to worry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Errr… a market without competition doesn’t thrive, it slowly deteriorates.. 

We’ve already seen that happen. Remember after the TRR accident when VRTP announced they no longer saw Dreamworld as competition? That was when investment and upkeep of the Village parks took a nosedive and has been on a decline ever since. It’s only now that DW have started turning things around in a big way and regional parks have begun stepping up their game (combined with BGH Capital’s acquisition of Village) that VRTP have started reinvesting in their parks to a reasonable level again (though their overall presentation still leaves a lot to be desired IMHO). 

So yeah, a monopoly is never good. 

9 hours ago, Noll_57 said:

It’s only now that DW have started turning things around in a big way and regional parks have begun stepping up their game (combined with BGH Capital’s acquisition of Village) that VRTP have started reinvesting in their parks

Eh, what? Which capital investment do you think is most reactionary? WoO was in development and announced before DW revealed their plans and it's clearly not in response to ST but has to do with the balancing MW, the Hotel has been on the boil for a good decade now, Atlantis is from the time you say Village weren't investing. Scooby being pretty much completely rebuilt clearly isn't an answer to anything, and Surfrider and Marvin seems entirely to be in response to Scooby's closure and strain on the rest of the park in terms of line up and capacity.

All of this is happening at a time when attendance is well above the long term average, and they clearly aren't suffering from competition. The only thing you COULD say is in response to DW is that with DW's low attendance, they're overwhelmed with how many guests they have, and that also they no longer feel WnW needs to compete with WWW so move Surfrider to the dry park that needs the capacity.

Like I'm sorry but you're talking out of your bottom here.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Errr… a market without competition doesn’t thrive, it slowly deteriorates.. 

the biggest positive however is not every topic would turn into a Village vs DW fight. 

11 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

And the winner for the worst "hot take" on the Parkz forum, 2023, goes to...

My life’s work is complete.

. I definitely failed the “think before you speak” rule there.. not gonna post after no sleep for days, again.

Edited by REGIE
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, joz said:

Eh, what? Which capital investment do you think is most reactionary? WoO was in development and announced before DW revealed their plans and it's clearly not in response to ST but has to do with the balancing MW, the Hotel has been on the boil for a good decade now, Atlantis is from the time you say Village weren't investing. 

Like I'm sorry but you're talking out of your bottom here.

Totally. WoO was to do with the need to replace Arkham with something and surveys continually finding that a lack of family attractions was the issue for MW. Atlantis was from way back when VRTP became acutely aware of the lack of ride inventory at SW

On 05/05/2023 at 1:06 AM, Noll_57 said:

We’ve already seen that happen. Remember after the TRR accident when VRTP announced they no longer saw Dreamworld as competition? That was when investment and upkeep of the Village parks took a nosedive and has been on a decline ever since. It’s only now that DW have started turning things around in a big way and regional parks have begun stepping up their game (combined with BGH Capital’s acquisition of Village) that VRTP have started reinvesting in their parks to a reasonable level again (though their overall presentation still leaves a lot to be desired IMHO).

Lol this is straight up wrong. Atlantis was announced in mid 2019 a couple of years after building Rivals & Topgolf (which weren't cheap either). Many years before BGH were in the picture. Village weren't healthy on cash and the parks lost a lot of foot traffic post 2016 (which people have seemed to forget). Not unlike down the road.

Presentation is improving. Superman has opening day effects back which I hadn't seen before since I was too short to ride last time they worked. Rides are being renovated, repainted & removed. Hedges are being trimmed. Say what you want about the cheap printed signs, non working effects on West & uniforms (among others) and I've never been a fan of these but cleaning up the mistakes of the past takes years (Dreamworld have done it for 6 years and still aren't finished). Look at Atlantis and that seems to be the standard going forward.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Lol this is straight up wrong. Atlantis was announced in mid 2019 a couple of years after building Rivals & Topgolf (which weren't cheap either). Many years before BGH were in the picture. Village weren't healthy on cash and the parks lost a lot of foot traffic post 2016 (which people have seemed to forget). Not unlike down the road.

Presentation is improving. Superman has opening day effects back which I hadn't seen before since I was too short to ride last time they worked. Rides are being renovated, repainted & removed. Hedges are being trimmed. Say what you want about the cheap printed signs, non working effects on West & uniforms (among others) and I've never been a fan of these but cleaning up the mistakes of the past takes years (Dreamworld have done it for 6 years and still aren't finished). Look at Atlantis and that seems to be the standard going forward.

I’m pretty sure Rivals and Topgolf were already being planned well before the accident. But as others pointed out, I did misremember the timeframes of other attractions being announced/opening (particularly Atlantis and Dreamworld’s announcements), so I’ll gladly take the L on that one. 

While VRTP are definitely heading in the right direction in terms of refurbishing/upgrading attractions and general park presentation, I still fear they’re heading down the Six Flags  “amusement park” path rather than offering immersive theme park experiences like they have previously (especially when Time Warner were involved). But yes, the exception to this of course is Atlantis, which is outstanding in terms of its theming and immersion. If this is the standard that Village will continue to push for, then I’m very excited for the future. I know a similar level of theming and immersion has been promised for WOZ, but recent missteps like ditching the themed uniforms still have me a little worried. 

6 hours ago, Baconjack said:

The issue to me is that many of these recent ride renovations and "upgrades" have either been done in a really half arsed manner or have ended up detracting from or breaking some other part of the ride experience. For example, the Wild West Falls upgrade saw effects being renovated/reactivated, control systems upgraded and new boats added. But capacity is now significantly lower, many of the audio effects are out of sync and/or play on top of each other, the queue line videos have been completely removed and the area music loop surrounding the ride no longer plays (plus many of the practical effects they only just refurbished are already broken again). It's a similar story for most of the other recently upgraded attractions. Plus other general park issues that have already been mentioned on here many times before (the lack of background music in many areas, overgrown gardens, poor operations, dirty and tired areas) continue to be a problem and are holding back the park from being truly "world class" IMHO. 

• Like 5