Dreamworld Flyer

TBoy

Yeah I think in the case of a Top Spin, the load platforms are designed to retract regardless of whether water is present though - thought my knowledge on top spin and equivalents is limited. 

A Wave swinger on the other hand doesn't come with retractable fencing as standard. Theres a lot of additional engineering and complexity involved in doing that, especially something by a third party that needs to integrate with a ride safety system.

Could they have? sure. did they need to? we still haven't seen the finished product - but this isn't disney and it isn't an "e-ticket"... i'll wait and judge when it's done.

The first concept DW rushed out the door, also shows no buildings.

The original Architectural drawings show it open. 

999999999999999999999999999999999.thumb.JPG.ffba004e316060042f292c4662ec25a1.JPG

It's very clear, it was DW's intent for you to see the water.

But as I said,

3 hours ago, New display name said:

Going to be very hard to see the water under your feet with all that steelworks unless they add some lights in the water.   Maybe the engineer didn't get the brief that the water was to be seen.

I don't see any water indicated there?

I see a raised platform underneath the ride for loading, but there's nothing in the lower area to imply water - and if that IS implied to be water - how do guests get across to load onto the ride?

Either you're reading too much into it, or something is missing...

Oh sorry it's missing something, this is one of the plans where DW calls it a pool.

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.thumb.JPG.9ebfb3330c2f4589e5a41f088183827b.JPG

Why have a 700mm deep pool if you can't see it?  You don't need a pool to be 700 deep for water fountains.🤷‍♂️

Also nowhere in the tender documents is there any information about the water fountains.  That is why, I believe the water feature/fountains to be an afterthought, or should I say DW viewed theme park nutters like us asking for it. 

Maybe the whole floor system has changed from the original tender to accommodate the water feature and DW are no longer going with the mesh decking.

But for people who don't know what I'm talking about and until DW proves me wrong (again) with a whole new floor system, this is what the floor will look like according to the tender documents.

Sub-floor

aa.JPG.fa6b6c329f898248c4a7d9b8e3660f4d.JPG

Mesh decking fixed to the top of the sub-floor.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.thumb.JPG.eb09744ebd82e0a598c6610acbab512f.JPG

Edited by New display name

1 hour ago, New display name said:

999999999999999999999999999999999.thumb.JPG.ffba004e316060042f292c4662ec25a1.JPG

I'm not trying to shit stir any thunder river talk, but does anyone else see the resemblance?

Snowy River Rampage | Wonderland History

33 minutes ago, New display name said:

Oh sorry it's missing something, this is one of the plans where DW calls it a pool.

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.thumb.JPG.9ebfb3330c2f4589e5a41f088183827b.JPG

Why have a 700mm deep pool if you can't see it?  You don't need a pool to be 700 deep for water fountains.🤷‍♂️

Also nowhere in the tender documents is there any information about the water fountains.  That is why, I believe the water feature/fountains to be an afterthought, or should I say DW viewed theme park nutters like us asking for it. 

Maybe the whole floor system has changed from the original tender to accommodate the water feature and DW are no longer going with the mesh decking.

But for people who don't know what I'm talking about and until DW proves me wrong (again) with a whole new floor system, this is what the floor will look like according to the tender documents.

Sub-floor

aa.JPG.fa6b6c329f898248c4a7d9b8e3660f4d.JPG

Mesh decking fixed to the top of the sub-floor.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.thumb.JPG.eb09744ebd82e0a598c6610acbab512f.JPG

Yeah depends on the fountains though - There's plenty of fountains \ dancing water installs that require the cannon to be submerged, or semi submerge to ensure sufficient water flow to the head. I don't know if that's what's here, but some fountains do need a 'pool'. 

The drawing is at odds with what we're seeing, for sure, and your theory about changing the concepts in the middle of the build \ tender \ etc is entirely plausible, perhaps even likely... (i'm still waiting for the giant rock wall and waterfalls to be built around Leviathan, for example).

The one thing that doesn't make sense is - IF they were planning on having a 5 metre wide, 700mm deep pool open around the entire ride... how did they plan for you to get on?

31 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The one thing that doesn't make sense is - IF they were planning on having a 5 metre wide, 700mm deep pool open around the entire ride... how did they plan for you to get on?

It was always going to have a floor over the pool but because the architect purposely left it of the drawings, shows the intent, the floor isn't the focal point.

The original construction drawings differ from what has been built on site.

image.png.4c9f69cb96875bbd202f6000f4493b27.png

The wave swinger at Phantasialand had stainless steel mesh floor underneath it to accommodate the fountain system FWIW. If that is what we are getting, yeehaw because the fountains are actually perfectly synced to the rotation of the ride and the tilt, so you constantly have fountains almost touching your feet.

Edited by Gazza
  • Like 2

Peeking between the construction fences on Saturday, it seems there is plenty of 'fountain' infrastructure going in. Even if this isn't as impressive as Phantasialand it should still look nice.

Orientation of the queue/op buildings is weird though. I would have thought the open section would point towards the entrance rather than the chicken restaurant. Ride looks good this just seems an odd choice.

Glad to see they have retained the 'classic' Main Street design with the buildings, hopefully Sky Voyager gets a new facade one day to bring it all together.

4 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Orientation of the queue/op buildings is weird though. I would have thought the open section would point towards the entrance rather than the chicken restaurant. Ride looks good this just seems an odd choice.

I think it achieves two things:

1. It still preserves the globe shot for those who wish to take a group or family photo in front of it. The elevated angle puts the ride mostly behind the globe with clear sky behind. 
  2. The ground slopes downhill toward the 'open' space giving the feel of being higher off the ground during the mast rotation. 

It is a bit 'weird' entering the park, but I guess that depends on what they do with these buildings, appearance wise. like most things - i'm going to wait until I see the finished product before judging.

7 minutes ago, aaronm said:

Glad to see they have retained the 'classic' Main Street design with the buildings, hopefully Sky Voyager gets a new facade one day to bring it all together.

I visited the park on the weekend with a friend (non enthusiast) from Canada. As we walked in, I pointed at the new buildings and asked them "what does that remind you of?" and they immediately recognised it from Canada's Wonderland. The design is classic theme park, and quite striking. I just hope it isn't blank walls.

For those who don't have facebook, this is a Dreamworld Flyer update posted by Jaggs Journeys showing landscaping and fencing is starting to go in. 

Looking closely, the "pool" even appears to have a regular old skimmer box!

image.thumb.png.72d82abf803aa693dbc95d9c5e111d41.pngMay be an image of 1 person

(And for those who aren't on mobile, here's a PC friendly link - https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0AKixCRF5nZxuXv6hSGQZzSnxJeB293LUTrT6Gu4HWp32EUbTP4gcpom7GNXktKqTl&id=100035046925164&mibextid=Nif5oz

So there's been a bit of discussion on the ride building and its location. I haven't gone back through it all, so this may have been discussed already. 

Looking at these photos, to me the placement of the ride building blocks the view of the out of place Sky Voyager design from the ride and more traditional designs of the entry building, the shops under the shade, restaurant and ice cream parlour, from the new ride. 

Is it the best solution? Probably not. Sky Voyager should have better fit Dreamworld. But the new ride requires a building for its equipment, so this is a solution. Viewed from Sky Voyager looking back towards the Claw, it probably fits in quite well too. 

Edited by red dragin

5 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Sky Voyager should have better fit Dreamworld.

The Sky Voyager building is an abomination and a redesigned facade that fits the area should be the priority after river town, along with a complete re-theme of MDMC to be incorporated into Rivertown with new, more comfortable trains (possibly spinning cars).

• Love it! 1

7 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

Because of a pool skimmer box? 🤨
Come on man… 

That’s just like saying “oh what a sh!t theme park that will never be great because they use standard outdoor power outlets!” How dare they!

Just like everyone jumped up and down, screaming bloody murder when they first began painting the concrete patterns near steel taipan… how about you wait and see what the finished product will end up looking like… it could be a footer for something, it could be a skimmer that’s completely hidden by theming and unnoticeable… doesn’t make a theme park shit or “never great”

You are putting words in my mouth.  I never said DW was a shit theme park because of the pool skimmer.

23 minutes ago, New display name said:

You are putting words in my mouth.  I never said DW was a shit theme park because of the pool skimmer.

I don't want to start a back and forth that lasts 6 pages - but you did say "this is why" it won't ever be a "Great theme park" so while you didn't say it was shit.... what did you mean?

• Like 3

• Gazza changed the title to Dreamworld Flyer