Movie World Scheduled Maintenance 2024

themagician

9 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Thats a big presumption on your part.

I understand that it came across that way but with a lot of the reviews I have been seeing a lot of people said they weren't given refunds.

here is an a example there are more clear ones from earlier but this is all i could find. 

image.thumb.png.2d688ff86c84aba92b54095712b23d5d.png

9 hours ago, STRAWS said:

I understand that it came across that way but with a lot of the reviews I have been seeing a lot of people said they weren't given refunds.

here is an a example there are more clear ones from earlier but this is all i could find. 

image.thumb.png.2d688ff86c84aba92b54095712b23d5d.png

Oh, I see what you mean now - so you're referring to a period prior to the large swathe of current closures, which, judging by how long ago it was, potentially was in the middle of the easter period, where most rides currently closed were in fact open?

The person spent their day at the park without making any effort to speak to someone in guest services, and only after they left, did they appear to email the park to complain. 

On an unrelated note, I can't wait to go to the cinema, watch the entire movie, go home, and then email them to ask for a refund because in hindsight, I didn't like what the movie was about.

If you're looking for evidence of their refund policy in reviews, you won't find it. Usually because the people who request a refund don't slag the company off on review sites. Even if the park does offer some sort of compensation, it will be done behind closed doors - they'll PM the person and make it right privately because if they post publicly what they offer someone, it tends to have a steamroll effect.

The company has a 'no refund' policy on their website, however that is essentially for change of mind \ matters beyond control of the park such as weather. If a person has purchased tickets based on the marketing of "over xx shows, rides and attractions...." and arrives to 70% of the park closed, thats a fundamental change to the service you signed up for. And the park knows their obligations under ACL.

Consumers may have an agreement with a business to provide its services over a period, for example a gym membership, or music lessons. If the business changes the nature of the services during that period – for example, in person guitar lessons replaced with online guitar lessons, or gym memberships replaced with access to online workout plans – consumers may be entitled to a remedy.

If we apply the above to the services offered by the park, a remedy is available under ACL. Businesses won't advertise this, and you should know your consumer rights well. The park might argue that you saw the sign out the front and chose to enter, but the sign out front doesn't always show every closure, given maintenance may not have finished morning checks when you've lined up.

But if you enter the park, wander around for an hour or two and realise just how much is wrong - and you go to guest services to raise the issue - you will be entitled to a remedy under ACL. If a refund is what you want, then you should stand firm on that and specify that's what you want, and why. Emphasise what you wanted to do when you visited and why that isn't possible. 

If you come out 30-40 minutes into a movie and complain to the manager that something is wrong with the film, they will generally refund you. But you do not watch the movie all the way to the end credits, go home and then email the cinema the next day asking for your money back.

I stand by my original assessment - you're making a big assumption.

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy

3 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Why would a park ever say that?

Meanwhile - at Kennywood

https://x.com/kenny_kangaroo/status/1784340538033901927?

What does an overseas park completing testing on a Zamperla ride have to do with Movie World?

Are you implying that a different ride from a different manufacturer in a different country is working and so Doomsday Destroyer should be working?

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Oh, I see what you mean now - so you're referring to a period prior to the large swathe of current closures, which, judging by how long ago it was, potentially was in the middle of the easter period, where most rides currently closed were in fact open?

The person spent their day at the park without making any effort to speak to someone in guest services, and only after they left, did they appear to email the park to complain. 

On an unrelated note, I can't wait to go to the cinema, watch the entire movie, go home, and then email them to ask for a refund because in hindsight, I didn't like what the movie was about.

If you're looking for evidence of their refund policy in reviews, you won't find it. Usually because the people who request a refund don't slag the company off on review sites. Even if the park does offer some sort of compensation, it will be done behind closed doors - they'll PM the person and make it right privately because if they post publicly what they offer someone, it tends to have a steamroll effect.

The company has a 'no refund' policy on their website, however that is essentially for change of mind \ matters beyond control of the park such as weather. If a person has purchased tickets based on the marketing of "over xx shows, rides and attractions...." and arrives to 70% of the park closed, thats a fundamental change to the service you signed up for. And the park knows their obligations under ACL.

If we apply the above to the services offered by the park, a remedy is available under ACL. Businesses won't advertise this, and you should know your consumer rights well. The park might argue that you saw the sign out the front and chose to enter, but the sign out front doesn't always show every closure, given maintenance may not have finished morning checks when you've lined up.

But if you enter the park, wander around for an hour or two and realise just how much is wrong - and you go to guest services to raise the issue - you will be entitled to a remedy under ACL. If a refund is what you want, then you should stand firm on that and specify that's what you want, and why. Emphasise what you wanted to do when you visited and why that isn't possible. 

If you come out 30-40 minutes into a movie and complain to the manager that something is wrong with the film, they will generally refund you. But you do not watch the movie all the way to the end credits, go home and then email the cinema the next day asking for your money back.

I stand by my original assessment - you're making a big assumption.

I fully agree with you I did make a assumption and going of google reviews is not  practical I own that mistake. 

But I'm being serious at least from my point of view it seems like Village Price gouge on everything. Now every corporation does that. Dreamworld do it to but they big difference is that they are not as blatant at doing it. Movie World has increased prices and decreased their offerings. it seems like everything at Movie World is a up charge and all the free attractions are in a horrible state. Removing VQ and keeping fast track is what put the nail in the coffin for me.

I don't know where to go from this but every time I go to Movie World I feel ripped off. I went with my good friend a couple of Months ago and we went on Wild West Falls as we sat down he still had his hat on. The staff member  asked him to remove it but he didn't hear as he has bad hearing and the staff member made a comment calling him deaf and when he said it again he did it. But people don't pay $200 to get in to get treated like that. We didn't report him but we should have. 

3 minutes ago, STRAWS said:

I fully agree with you I did make a assumption and going of google reviews is not  practical I own that mistake. 

But I'm being serious at least from my point of view it seems like Village Price gouge on everything. Now every corporation does that. Dreamworld do it to but they big difference is that they are not as blatant at doing it. Movie World has increased prices and decreased their offerings. it seems like everything at Movie World is a up charge and all the free attractions are in a horrible state. Removing VQ and keeping fast track is what put the nail in the coffin for me.

I don't know where to go from this but every time I go to Movie World I feel ripped off. I went with my good friend a couple of Months ago and we went on Wild West Falls as we sat down he still had his hat on. The staff member  asked him to remove it but he didn't hear as he has bad hearing and the staff member made a comment calling him deaf and when he said it again he did it. But people don't pay $200 to get in to get treated like that. We didn't report him but we should have. 

Few things

I would argue that I prefer a company being blatant when price gouging as its easier to see and then just, avoid them.
That is the benefit of a society that has a competitive market.

Additionally, yes you should have reported how you were treated. Up to you how you report that, reporting specifically the individual staff member, identifying them leaving them open to punishment ect. or reporting unfriendly, unhelpful staff in general showing a wider range of bad culture.

And the thing is, you're still able to report him now. Movieworld are in the data game. They have in their logs when you went, they know who is rostered on at what times and where. You can report unfriendly staff at any point.

4 minutes ago, Naazon said:

Few things

I would argue that I prefer a company being blatant when price gouging as its easier to see and then just, avoid them.
That is the benefit of a society that has a competitive market.

Additionally, yes you should have reported how you were treated. Up to you how you report that, reporting specifically the individual staff member, identifying them leaving them open to punishment ect. or reporting unfriendly, unhelpful staff in general showing a wider range of bad culture.

And the thing is, you're still able to report him now. Movieworld are in the data game. They have in their logs when you went, they know who is rostered on at what times and where. You can report unfriendly staff at any point.

The thing is I don't know who to blame I'm not saying what the staff are doing is acceptable by any means but they seem really unhappy at the moment which is sad to see for their sake. The workplace culture there looks horrible and I hope it improves for everyone's sake. Thanks for letting me know  about the reporting thing if anything like that happens again I probably will put in a report.

1 hour ago, STRAWS said:

There's something I want to highlight here - 

1. You complain the park is price gouging.
  2. You admit every corporation does the same thing.
  3. You agree the competition does it, but is not as blatant.
  4. Everything seems like an upcharge
  5. Prices are up
  6. offerings are down
  7. Every time you go to MW you feel ripped off.

There's a very simple solution - STOP GOING TO MOVIEWORLD.

At this point i've been saying this for years I might as well set up a recording. So long as people keep lining up to give them money, there is no motivation for them to change their practices. They keep monetising things because those things make a profit. 

Dreamworld "isn't as blatant" because they're trying to win people back. They need to offer people a reason to visit and see that they've changed and their best option is to be cheaper than the other guy. (but they do still need to make money, it's not a charity).

We all knew, when BGH bought into the business, that things were going to change. They were going to cut costs, and increase profits. They need to turn the balance sheet around to make the business more valuable than what they paid for it, and then they want to sell it to make a profit on their purchase price. They're an investment capital business, not a theme park business, and it was always going to happen this way. They are doing whatever makes money.

But if you stop paying them... if they stop making money... if the value of the brand, or the business goes down, they will need to change how they do business to improve the reputation, or... eat the loss. 

The very simple solution to fix all of the bad things happening at the park right now is....

JUST DON'T GO.

STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

JUST DON'T GO.

STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.

Exactly which is why I have not renewed my annual pass. Until they give me a reason to renew my pass I won't be.

I find it hilarious that anyone here is defending a park operating with >50% of its major rides out of action, what a joke of an operation Movie World has become. The fact that the park reportedly defends the poor customer experience as being "in line with our requirements" is laughably tone deaf and contemptuous. It's unfortunate that most guests don't find this out until they've wasted their money on admission. No refunds, moose out front should've told ya!

• Like 2

It would be much more productive to have the pitchforks out during a period when people actually visit the park. If rivals and west maintenance and flash gets delayed to well into the winter school holidays - then fair call.

Like during summer when the park operated on a limited number of rides (when it should realistically be everything) it was rightfully called out, but not on days when you’d be getting triple digit pax at most.

Why would movie world close ever at all because there’s few rides open? They are a business, and if they shut, their main competitor is right up the road to take that foregone money, or anywhere else on the coast. Maybe charge off peak prices based on ride count that aren’t $110? (Something they really should be doing to get more people in who haven’t got annual passes already) That would eliminate the “ripped off” vibe.

Edited by Baconjack

2 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

IMG_7671.thumb.jpeg.5acdf4fbd9492735b0cc898d1c606308.jpeg

Where have I seen that image before…Oh, yeah!

IMG_7672.thumb.jpeg.91b582113be605012ac90882f371c34c.jpeg

I honestly think that this should be reported to the ACCC.  Advertising a major ride against a 3-day pass price during a period when that ride is scheduled to be closed is misleading and deceptive.  I would say the same for all the digital billboards with that photo.  The reasonable expectation is that purchasing a 3-day pass would allow you to ride Rivals.

The ACL doesn't require anyone to have actually been misled, just that it is likely to mislead or deceive.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The only time I've ever seen Movie World offer a FULL refund was for the removal of Virtual Queue.
As a long time passholder of Movie World the pricing is insane, better off heading down to Sea World for "better" food offerings and pricing, with arguably better park specific merchandise. Another nail in the coffin for me is how much DC Rivals Backwards seat has gone up.... remember the days of $10 rides. How much longer till that absurd $25 for Levy goes up to $30+!

It's not just you.... The WWF crew in my opinion is the rudest in the park, i'd say they are more focused on talking to each other (ride op cabin/ride attendants & grouper), they ignore guests and rudely instruct them to do something (as you've mentioned) are all things i've experience and seen them do.

12 hours ago, Baconjack said:

It would be much more productive to have the pitchforks out during a period when people actually visit the park. If rivals and west maintenance and flash gets delayed to well into the winter school holidays - then fair call.

Like during summer when the park operated on a limited number of rides (when it should realistically be everything) it was rightfully called out, but not on days when you’d be getting triple digit pax at most.

Why would movie world close ever at all because there’s few rides open? They are a business, and if they shut, their main competitor is right up the road to take that foregone money, or anywhere else on the coast. Maybe charge off peak prices based on ride count that aren’t $110? (Something they really should be doing to get more people in who haven’t got annual passes already) That would eliminate the “ripped off” vibe.

It's not about productivity. I really don't understand how you're still beating this dead horse?

People are fine with closures in off season, it happens. The issue is closures in off season is normally 2, but max 3 majors at a time. Not SIX.

• This is like going to timezone, loading up a 2 hour unlimited game card and then finding out that all they have is whack a mole and ski ball. It doesn't matter that it's midweek outside of school holidays.
  • This is going to KFC and they tell you they're out of chicken after you order and pay for your meal. It doesn't matter that its 11am on a wednesday
  • This is going to the Cinema to see Sound Of Music, but all the songs have been edited out. It doesn't matter that its cheap tuesday's morning session
  • This is having a round of golf, but 12 holes on the course are closed for groundworks. It doesn't matter that it's cricket season.
  • How many others can the rest of the forum come up with to try and explain this to you?

It's a poor offering. All of the recent google reviews on the park are demonstrating the park is not meeting a minimum expectation. It's not acceptable, and you should feel bad for trying to excuse the poor experience as "those people who were disappointed should have known that they'd have over 70% of their rides down for maintenance"

• Like 2

My family and I only go on the carousel and the train as our eldest is just under 90cm so we go to meet the characters and the shows but even I know it’s a rip off to have that many rides closed. I don’t know how anyone can debate it being reasonable. 

35 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Jesus Christ would someone tell them to stop pouring petrol on the fire already?

They have and this is their response 🤣 .

18 hours ago, Themepark Enthusist said:

Screenshot_20240502-145426.png

But no joke they really need to stop with these types of replies it solves nothing.