Movie World Scheduled Maintenance 2024

themagician

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s past the April school holidays and it’s fast approaching winter (the deadest time of the year). Two of the majors are scheduled to shut at this period every year, another is having a major being built right next door (and another ride within), another is being renovated, with another ride most likely getting pulled down.

People complaining that rides are closed at this time are living under a rock. It’s been this way for decades before BGH ever came in the picture

Edited by Baconjack

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

Wrong. 100% wrong. At the most they would only ever want to have 2 majors at a time closed unless something ever went wrong.  The general schedule was:

Lethal Weapon / Arkham (After Aust day till early March) > Superman / Batwing (Early march till Easter holidays) > Scooby and RoadRunner after easter holidays > Wild West Falls from June till around August in prep for holidays. Then it would be Tunes / Batride between September and November. 

After November they would try to have all rides open and getting ready for the xmas holidays. Obviously with more rides sometimes a weekend (or maybe a single week with 3 rides closed) did happen but it was really avoided as much as possible. Only in the last 4-5 years have we really seen this many closures happening on a regular and it's 100% not acceptable. 

I really think at this stage, the park would be better running weekends and holidays only until they can catch up on things as it's absolutely pathetic the way the place is being ran.

At this point they shouldn't even be open on weekends they need to get their shit together. 

If people are paying full price for the park and not even getting half the park its amazing people haven't reported them to scam watch and things like that considering they probably don't give refunds.

Its so disappointing with current state the park is in. And with all the bad reviews a lot of them I see talk about how rude and anti social the staff our. If the staff cant even put a slight smile on their face you know your in for a rough day.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STRAWS said:

considering they probably don't give refunds.

Thats a big presumption on your part.

My guess is anyone going into guest relations is going to get a free return ticket, and if they're out of town and unlikely to return, begrudgingly a refund would be issued. 

Passholders on the other hand don't really have any way to argue given the value and length of validity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Let me get this straight - major rides are having rides built right next door, or within them, every winter?

No.

I'm sorry, but when your headlining (only) attractions are Roxy, Green Lantern and Justice League - you probably shouldn't be open. 

Idk people here would still complain if superman was open (which it normally is, but given there’s a bit of construction work going on around it that’s an exception). Also I’ve said this a few times but will also say that ride replacements and renovations have been slow - which leads to problems like these.

If things are shut in school holiday periods or in summer then yeah its fair game for criticism but realistically how many people visit at this time of year? I’d be willing to bet mostly annual pass holders, who can come any time they like. How many people are coming from interstate in May/June? Probably very few.

Happy to call out movie world for their shit (and have done a few times for many reasons) but having rides down in the deadest time of year is not that. ideally they should have as much of their maintenance work done as possible prior to people coming in for the next school holiday break so am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case. Whether you charge normal prices or an off peak price for the reduced experience (which is done at a lot of other businesses in the industry) is another can of worms but I’d say swap it to a floating price which is adjusted for ride count and season.

Will check back in 2 months to see if there’s barely any rides open, then I’ll happily criticise just like I did during summer.

Edited by Baconjack

26 minutes ago, New display name said:

I'm thinking staff moral must be at an all-time-low.  A couple of people I know told me, they aren't getting many hours and are thinking about leaving their jobs.

Are these longtime staff members or people they’ve hired just to fill numbers for summer? 

If it’s the latter you’d figure managers would make it very clear with them that you’d really only be needed during that time. It’s like rule 0 of theme park/entertainment business ops

Edited by Baconjack

35 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Are these longtime staff members or people they’ve hired just to fill numbers for summer? 

If it’s the latter you’d figure managers would make it very clear with them that you’d really only be needed during that time. It’s like rule 0 of theme park/entertainment business ops

Long time staff members.   MW is currently running 31% of it's rides.  If 69% of rides aren't operating, at a guess, your chance of getting hours, has been cut in half.  

Edited by New display name

39 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

How many people are coming from interstate in May/June? Probably very few.

Don't forget your internationals. 

But here's the problem. The park trades 363 days a year. Thats their choice. They charge over $100 for entry, only to have more than 65% of the park's adult-suitable attractions closed (and more than 30% of the kids rides down too).

You're making excuses for them because 'this is normal for this time of year' but it demonstrably ISN'T and you're even doubling down now, saying if everything is open by next holidays, then everything is ok?

No, that just isn't acceptable. We've heard from a former Ops crew how they'd aim for two rides down at a time, three at the most, AND AVOIDED WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

This is DOUBLE THAT.

43 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

Is there something forcing them to open 364 days a year? It serves no purpose right now - guests are outraged, staff don't give a fuck about anything and even food places close at 2pm!

Probably don't want to give Dreamworld an open invitation to make bank on the weekday visitation. You know, cut your nose to spite your face kind of business.

3 minutes ago, New display name said:

Long time staff members.   MW is currently running 31% of it's rides.  If 69% of rides aren't operating, at a guess, your chance of getting hours, has been cut in half.  

And they've just closed Showcase, which was run by Ops crew too, so another 'alternate' position has been lost on the roster too.

2 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

Genuine question - why don't they just staff the rides they are running better.. have two people a side checking trains etc etc?

It's not always that easy. Not all staff are trained on all things. Some rotations are completely offline. You don't have anywhere to send some of those staff because all the positions they're trained in are closed. 

And some staff who might have been trained haven't done it for so long they 'lose' the ride and have to be retrained. And this will slow down ops even further.