Sea Worlds New Coaster

goliath

I agree, Sea World should keep the rides to a minimum and focus on marine exhibits, which is what it does best. Of course a new ride is more than welcome, but with the 3 park superpass such a popular method of visiting the parks, I think that adding thrill rides to Seaworld only duplicates what is already on offer at Movie World.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Knew it would be a half-pipe! :)

How can't seaworld do with another ride? Seaworld can be so boring at times.
I agree. I think the park needs another few rides to round itself out. For adults, we have Bermuda Triangle, Pirate Ship, the Viking's Revenge Flume and Corkscrew. Now obviously you can do each of those a couple of times and Corkscrew even several times more again but having the half-pipe but also another ride or two would top things off to make it more rounded. SW does the marine exhibit thing well but the one in Orlando has Journey to Atlantis/Kraken to round out the park. Our one doesn't have a major drawcard ride. I think we SHOULD have one even if they have to take out the castle/theatre area or something to accomodate it. So I'm thinking the halfpipe, a major circuit coaster and a flatride... Edited by Tony Teulan

You do realise that by adding a coaster that'll bring it back to a total of two, which is the same as it was for 20 or so years? Besides that, saying SW shouldn't have thrill rides is like saying DW shouldn't have family attractions. Exactly why shouldn't SW have new thrill rides? The fact is that there are no *new* customers that another animal attraction will bring to the park. Pretty much everyone who wants to see animals already comes to SW, so adding another animal attraction isn't going to do anything to increase attendance. The $13million Shark Bay did bring ‘em in, but not quite as much as hoped (though per-capita spending went through the roof). A new ride however? Now there's a hole in the parks current lineup, and I think its not a moment too soon (a couple of years overdue perhaps). Guests DO come to the park for the rides, as well as the animals, shows, and waterpark. A new ride will attract more people, but I don't think it will effect SW's main demographic too much. I say 300 as probably being a high enough capacity for a half-pipe. "But Joz", you say, "why is 300 good enough for Halfpipe but too low for Cyclone?” Because DW attracts mainly people who want to go on Cyclone. SW still will attract mostly families; Half pipe won't be enough to really change the type of guests SW attracts. Corkscrew can operate at a bit over 500 an hour, but generally operates at around 250-300, and you know what? It rarely has a queue. Halfpipe will probably stay busier then Cork, but for the most part will have a fairly minimal queue. Plus there’s 9months for the locals to check it out, so by Xmas the demand may well have dropped off a bit. Anyways, for those who want to hear it from Rich, Ian, or myself, yes, it’s a halfpipe, and it’s going in-between Cork and Bermuda. April has been given as an opening date (probably due to all the half price annual passes expiring around then). Honestly don't know the model we're getting. Expect another surprise or two next year which aren't of the thrill ride genre for those who don't like thrill rides at SW. Thrillseeker's site should see some action in the next year or two, and it’s not Seal Rocks.

Well they look more than half-decent. After a few rides, yes it probably would be boring but at least it's a change. If things turn out good, it might even be a good ride. SW hasn't had a decent upgrade in years IMO and this is a coaster so it can't be that bad can it?

Can someone please explain what's so good about a half pipe? What is the point in getting that? SW is boring as it is and now they are going to get another boring ride. EDIT : I just don't understand why SW would spend heaps of money on a sh*t ride.
Have you ever ridden one? But anyway, i think the ride will feel similar to the claw, its just that there is a track below you rather than a pendulum arm above you. And of course the seats spin, so it would have to be somewhere near the Claw, though maybe a bit less intense. Still, i think they are a cool little ride. Oh and i cant imagine a little coaster like that being "heaps of money", its got, what, 50m of track? And why does everyone say SW is boring, i managed to fill a full day without seeing all the shows and only riding everything once. The exhibits were great and it was nice to be able to see something without a line. Makes me wonder why these people visit in the first place, do people just visit it so they can get bored and complain after? Or do they dislike animals? Edited by Gazza

Have you ever ridden one? But anyway, i think the ride will feel similar to the claw, its just that there is a track below you rather than a pendulum arm above you. And of course the seats spin, so it would have to be somewhere near the Claw, though maybe a bit less intense. Still, i think they are a cool little ride. Oh and i cant imagine a little coaster like that being "heaps of money", its got, what, 50m of track? And why does everyone say SW is boring, i managed to fill a full day without seeing all the shows and only riding everything once. The exhibits were great and it was nice to be able to see something without a line. Makes me wonder why these people visit in the first place, do people just visit it so they can get bored and complain after? Or do they dislike animals?
I went to SW in Sep 05. I found it boring. But then again i'm prolly used to MW and DW.

I went to SW in Sep 05. I found it boring. But then again i'm prolly used to MW and DW.
See, you either "get" SW or you don't. Obviously the place isn't for you, but thats ok, your not going to like everypark you go to. Still, don't judge a ride before you go on it. As for the ride, well it doesn't appear like much, but most of the reviews of SFEG's halfpipe call it a "surprise" and a pretty fun ride. For a park that needs to up its thrills, has a height restriction and is landlocked, its a pretty good investment.

Seaworld can be so boring at times.
I personally like Seaworld as it is right now. Though the Half-Pipe would be good, but the environment is SO relaxing! I wouldn't want Seaworld to install all these thrill-rides which will just ruin the relaxing environment.

Are theme parks really meant to be relaxing?
Is there a good reason why they shouldn't be? Also being relaxing and family friendly aren't mutually exclusive events. I mean riding on the monorail is pretty relaxing right? Well call me crazy but the monorail is a pretty good example of a family friendly ride (same goes for the train, skyway, and even the cartoon beach rides. Add into that all the shows and exhibats and you get the idea). All of the parks thrill rides are going to be in the same area, so the rest of the park should keep its current feel.

Its supposedly a fairly loud ride. However, given its location near Corkscrew, you'd think most of the noise won't effect the rest of the park too greatly. Most likley the extent of it will be that it'll be noticeable in Bermuda's queue, but given thats a noisy place anyway, with all the various sound effects/spookey music I don't think that it'll really make much of a difference. Pretty much the only quiet areas of the park you'll hear it are Dolphin Cove outside of show times and in the queue to SOS if its really loud. Beach already has enough noise going on to drown it out, and everywhere else you'd think would have enough of a buffer from that end of the park.

I think Joz is right. Even with a loud coaster or attraction it should just fit inwith the rest of the parks noises. Take Dreamworld for instance, in Ocean Parade they have the following rides Reef Diver, Wipeout, Stingray, The Claw, Cyclone and The Vortex. Wipeout you can hear from Nick Central and Cyclone can be heard in Ocean Parade. Therefore, i think that it actually helps build up the excitment for riders and people watching the ride - it looks rough and menacing. Where as the Claw is smough and is noisless - it dosen't really give you a feal of how intense the ride actually is (well, that was what i thought). So hopefully Seaworld new coaster will blend into the surrounding noise and create a great atmosphere! :) CoasterBoy6

Edited by Coaster Boy 6

• 1 month later...

As part of the planning for a new coaster, a sound test happens usually before the ground is broken to give them a feel for how it could potentially dissrupt the environment (if they think there is a possibility it would) I remember they did just this (hung several large speakers from a crane that resinated the roaring sounds of a ride together with the sounds of screaming rides) when they built Lethal and Wild West. Anyway, has anyone heard anymore?? I'm suprised there hasn't been more interest in this topic - if you ask me, Seaworld is grossly overdue for a new ride. I hope this is only part one of a revitilisation plan for SW - MW seems to have gotten the lion share of attention lately and whilst I don't want to see that stop any time soon, I think it's high time the Gold Coast's oldest Theme Park got a little TLC. Sure, the displays are great but they alone make for a VERY expensive zoo to visit.

I am seriously very intrested to find out what this ride is. I have been asking people i think may know, but they either dont know themselves. I did have someone tell me there not allow to announce anything, but they sais its impressive and its to compete with Dreamworld at xmas. So im still sussing it all out...but as soon as i know, i will be deff posting it.

Can't see it competing with DW at Xmas coz I believe it won't be open till mid next year and btw, I believe it's a Half pipe! Mind you, the Claw at DW is essentially the same ride experience, maybe a Half pipe is a little higher, it's def an unique idea though with what, 2 others currently operating in the world? It will fit perfectly next to Bermuda once they fill in that part of the lake. Next after that, I'm hoping for a water coaster.

Yeah i knew the half pipe was opening next year. But I thought something was coming this year for xmas. Its mentions in the paper a new attraction for seaworld, not a water or animal attraction. So i have no idea what it is. time will tell. halfpipes look lots of fun though.

for all those people who think the half pipe will "boring" u r all idiots. have u ever riden one? most likely NOT! i went on in america and yeah, as the reviews said, its surprising, u may not think going up and down a track is thrilling, but it is! so dont judge it when u have never riden one. As for sea world being boring, if u think its boring then y go? there must be sumthing there that gains your attention to continue to return. I agree, SW is a relaxing park, u have 3 other parks with many thrills, its nice to sit back and not have to rush around or wait in que lines. for the idiot who said SW shouldnt put ne more rides in, y not? thats just dumb, sum people go to SW for the rides, and there arnt many rides, so what if they add 2 or 4 new rides?

for all those people who think the half pipe will "boring" u r all idiots. have u ever riden one? most likely NOT! i went on in america and yeah, as the reviews said, its surprising, u may not think going up and down a track is thrilling, but it is! so dont judge it when u have never riden one. As for sea world being boring, if u think its boring then y go? there must be sumthing there that gains your attention to continue to return. I agree, SW is a relaxing park, u have 3 other parks with many thrills, its nice to sit back and not have to rush around or wait in que lines. for the idiot who said SW shouldnt put ne more rides in, y not? thats just dumb, sum people go to SW for the rides, and there arnt many rides, so what if they add 2 or 4 new rides?
I 1st went to SW in 03. I stayed @ Nara resort. I thought SW was boing. In 04 i went back only coz my sister didn't want to go on her own. So i had no choice. I've never been back since.

• 2 weeks later...

It's so funny how many people miss the point of Seaworld :P If you want cheap thrills ship yourself up to Coomera, Seaworld is about so much more than that. And for all of those that say it's boring and won't return then I don't think you'll be missed. I for one am really happy this is one park WVTP are not trying to push into the teen/thrill market as they are now doing with WnW and WBMW.