Superman Escape Loose Items

bern1992

I used to go into the park on my solo days with just my car key and my annual pass. I had pants that had zip up and press clip pockets which I put them in. If asked by an attendant I told them I had the stuff and showed the pockets and explained I had no cash on me and had only brought those 2 things into the park today. Majority of times they allowed me to continue onto the ride.

Does anyone think that an object falling out of a pocket has ever caused any notable injury or damage ever, anywhere, in the history of theme parks?

In my experience no Richard. Of course that all depends on your definition of "notable injury". I have never heard of anything like this occuring where there has been a significant injury. Not that I am claiming to have encyclopaedic knowledge of injuries caused by rides but I think that I would remember if it did occur....it would be a fairly notable case. :)

Does anyone think that an object falling out of a pocket has ever caused any notable injury or damage ever, anywhere, in the history of theme parks?

The only one i can think of was in 2011 when a man was blinded on Dragon Challenge at IOA. It was never clear what happened to cause this but the man claimed it was just prior to the two coasters passing each other during one of the stages of the coaster. In October IOA announced that Dragon Challenge would no longer run at the same time so the company and most people assume that a guest on the other train lost an object from a pocket or threw an object at the other train.

I had one ride where a guy the row in front of me had snuck his camera on. He held it above his head at the launch. I remember it flying over my head as we took off. Was in the last carriage so doubt any injury occured. Also know that a bag has fallen out of a carriage on Scooby, reportedly cracking one of the mirrors on the floor.

If they are on the floor, they would have been for the 'old' laser system - the green ones that went psychedelic on the side walls. if you look at the far wall (away from the ghost train) you'll see small mirrors (about the size of your hand, maybe bigger) that the lasers used to strike as they scanned up and down the wall. one laser, hitting those mirrors would see streaks of light shoot across the middle of the room at various points and in my opinion, was the better look for the room to it's current state.

• 5 months later...

Why don't thay put in an conveyor belt for loose items if they want to have 2 stations. Then we won't need to waste money on locker hire and it would go with the theme. Also how are you supposed to shop at the gif shop if you have no loose items? Why do they give us a no loose item rule and exit us into the shop? No loose items = no money! What I love most about Dreamworld is the fact I can go on all rides without need for locker hire as they provide free storage for your items.

To be honest, I actually prefer the locker policy. Generally it means faster loading, faster exiting, and it means the stored items are actually safe. That said, I do disagree with the locker charge. This is something Universal Orlando has well thought out with free locker hire for the attractions that need it, with the length of hire depending on the queue length. I wish more parks (including Dreamworld) adopted a policy similar to this.

To be honest, I actually prefer the locker policy. Generally it means faster loading, faster exiting, and it means the stored items are actually safe. That said, I do disagree with the locker charge. This is something Universal Orlando has well thought out with free locker hire for the attractions that need it, with the length of hire depending on the queue length. I wish more parks (including Dreamworld) adopted a policy similar to this.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have no complaints about the locker policy....just make it free! Either design your rides to accommodate loose articles (like Disney) or use Universal's locker system for rides that need it. Edited by Luke

I saw them send someone back to the lockers. Not sure if they had to go through the queue again because I was right behind them, and got on the ride after.

Usually, the baskets boxes they do have are for things like prescription glasses - where you can't ask someone to put them in a locker and then negoatiate a winding twisting queue line. If its a non essential like a hat or a phone or a wallet, they do make you get off and out the back door... and you don't get to jump the queue to get back on.... something i personally agree with! I've utilised the lockers at universal singapore for revenge of the mummy. The free time limit was quite reasonable (i think we got two rides in during the locker period) but i can understand why VRTP doesn't have the money to provide that as a free for a period facility... even though i think that they should.

I've been on many subways that don't have OTSRs, but you can't get rid of them because it doesn't fit with the theme. I'd say the same thing for conveyor belts, although I think it's an unworkable soloution for different reasons. I think if lockers were free like they would be at a real theme park then there wouldn't be an issue. I also don't agree with not letting people back in line if they're made to put stuff in a locker. This is the entertainment/customer service industry, not centre link, punishing guests who may honestly have not known better is not acceptable. EDIT: Sorry Gazza, missed the top of that quote, thought you'd brought up themeing, I was wrong

Edited by joz

I don't mind having to hire a locker. But make it free or charge by how much you use it. Why should we pay for an hour hire if we only use 10mins? I had 50mins of hire left so why can't you use that later in the day insted of paying for another hour that you won't use? Can't they add a "resume locker hire" button to use any leftover mins if you have at least 30mins left of hire?

^How does the system know it's "you" resuming the hire.

I've been on many subways that don't have OTSRs, but you can't get rid of them because it doesn't fit with the theme

Lol, not quite the point I was making. I'd have no issue with a "conveyer belt" or whatever if it were a workable solution, I was just questioning why Gary86 said it "suits the theme".