Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cant wait to see what happens with the Mick Doohan Egostroker.
Haha! If the queue system was anything like that, it'd be great, I reckon it'll just be a queue for sidecars and a queue for normal bikes. concept20er2.jpg Am I the only one that thinks this looks too tall? I know it's concept art, but I hope it ends up like this... Edited by WnW_Rocks

Okay I have a few comments on this. First off I really don't like the colour scheme and it will be hard to tell until we see it in person but I think Atomiq may have missed the mark with this one. I really dislike the mixture of primary colours on the bikes. I would have rather seen maybe a purple or a funky lime green to match the logo. I really don't like the random mixture of red, blue and green. Even just something like red and orange might have been better. I also don't like the track colours and was hoping when we saw the train revealed the track scheme would make more sense. But it doesn't. Any my next complaint is regarding the sports theme. I have heard quite a few times that the CEO Stephen Gregg is obsessed with sports. After they added FlowRider I was expecting them to add another sports related attraction (but hoping they wouldn't). I was then happy to hear they were adding a coaster - but ofcourse it would seem that Stephen has ensured it is still very heavily related to sports. Even going as far as to brand it with that guys name. I would like to see Stephen challenge himself on Dreamworld's next attraction and add something that has nothing to do with sport - if that's possible for him. I'm sure he doesn't have the final say but no doubt is quite involved in the decision making process. And thirdly I will end this on a positive note. Regardless of a few negatives, mostly relating to visuals, I am very happy to see that we are at least getting a new coaster and also nice that WhiteWater World is expanding at the same time. That is a good move from my point of view

Maybe the sidecars are for the little kids that can't ride the bikes on their own?
They certainly are, it is a well known fact:
The ride features Motorcycle-style seating. Some rows feature a sidecar which enables smaller riders to participate, affirming the ride's family-friendly nature.
I really don't like the colour scheme and it will be hard to tell until we see it in person but I think Atomiq may have missed the mark with this one.
Its not the first time they have missed the mark colourwise.... http://www.atomiq.com.au/mainstreet.html

Will you guys stop criticising something that you haven't seen in real life. NB colours are selected as such to represent a MotoGP race, therefor ofcourse the cars are multiple colours and i'd say that they'd have a variety of decals on them as well to represent the racing nature and culture of the sport and the ride. Also bright colours atomix use are very typical of themeparks and based on the look of archetecture in dreamworld is very typically disney styled. I'd say the dark grey is to represent tarmac and bright yellow well if not for any other reason is strongly contrasting to dark grey/black and looks good together.

I don't quite understand some of the praise that Atomiq seems to get around here. I've seen no evidence that any of their past works (Dreamworld and others) have been terribly creative or imaginative. It seems to me theming and proper concept development has made way for bright colours and brand affiliation, and Atomiq seems to be little more than a company brought on to perform this task and little else. I've said before that bright colours aren't necessarily a problem when used in a manner that's attractive, appropriately coordinated and relevant to the area, but the biggest problem I have with them is that there is no thought given to the fact that they fade much quicker than other colour choices, and it ends up being immediately obvious and detracts from the overall image.

Also bright colours atomix use are very typical of themeparks and based on the look of archetecture in dreamworld is very typically disney styled.
The architecture is most definitely 'inspired' (translation: a direct ripoff) by Disneyland et al. The colours, however, are not, which is where a lot of the criticism comes from as it does come off as a bit of a complete mish-mash of styles that don't necessarily work all that effectively together. I personally don't mind the colour choices in Main Street. The area is uninviting however because of all the ageing concrete and bitumen that is long overdue for a complete rehaul to make the entire area a far more inviting area. Properly investing in redesigning the entire area from the ground up would go a lot further towards creating a more enjoyable and pleasant area (and therefore by association more revenue from the associated retail shops) than a cheap coat of paint in edgy colours.

Will you guys stop criticising something that you haven't seen in real life.
What difference does it make? plans are out showing what they have in mind, you can tell pretty well from that what they are going to do and form an opinion based around that. What about when major new buildings are going up, in various streams of the media you can see 'artists impressions' so you can tell what it will look like, and then the next day in the paper you see letters to the editor printed saying how good/bad it looks.
Also bright colours atomix use are very typical of themeparks
Not all parks go for that look actually, sometimes muted colours look a lot better. Also, I can get what GoGoBoy is saying about the bike colours. Green, Blue and Red seem like a weird combination (on the colour wheel, they dont even represent one of the combinations that supposedly 'work') Id agree that a few more colours in there would make it better.
I don't quite understand some of the praise that Atomiq seems to get around here. I've seen no evidence that any of their past works (Dreamworld and others) have been terribly creative or imaginative. It seems to me theming and proper concept development has made way for bright colours and brand affiliation, and Atomiq seems to be little more than a company brought on to perform this task and little else.
Agreed, though I think the reason people love them is because they were a welcome break from some of the horrible stuff Sandersons came up with before them. At least they are making stuff that looks ok, even if its not groundbreaking. To say they have done nothing good is a bit harsh, the Claw would be an exception as an attempt was made to tie the thematic elements and ride together. Edited by Gazza

Not all parks go for that look actually, sometimes muted colours look a lot better.
I think I'd go so far as to say that the majority of theme parks in the world do not go overboard with the brightness and in fact rely on more traditional and natural colours. For one I think it makes brightly coloured rides a lot more visually impressive when they stand out from their surrounds, rather than competing against them for attention.
To say they have done nothing good is a bit harsh, the Claw would be an exception as an attempt was made to tie the thematic elements and ride together.
I'm not suggesting that they haven't done some good work, but I don't think as a whole that they've done much that isn't overall simply average or 'just OK' in the scheme of things. You can indeed do a whole lot worse, but it's not a company I'd be rushing to the defence of, or expecting the world of. I think you also that it's worth mentioning that at the end of the day they're doing the job to their client's (i.e. Dreamworld) wishes and ultimate satisfaction.

I agree completely about the concreting in mainstreet, in my own view I think the most attractive option would be cobbling. Cobbling doesn't wear out, has cosistant colour, is traditional, adds charm to an area and I really thing would bring out the charm of the area as compared to the ugly cracked concrete and bitumen.

Hi, i don'nt know if you have the press release yet but, oh well. It sounds like it will also do a museum as well. It is in this paragraph- “We want to showcase Australian motorbike racing history and celebrate its victories, milestones and most importantly, its legends through theming, memorabilia and our Hall of Fame.” Friday, 27 July 2007 MEDIA RELEASE Mick Doohan’s Motocoaster Revealed Ladies and Gentlemen Start Your Engines! Dreamworld is “Doohan” it like it’s never been done before and is getting set to take motobike racing to the skies. In September 2007, Dreamworld will launch the hottest thrill ride to hit the coast this decade pushing adrenaline junkies to a brand new level. The park has teamed up with one of the greatest names in motorbike racing history to bring the thrill and exhilaration of moto racing magic to the masses. Five time, 500cc World Champion and World Record Holder, Mick Doohan will launch his very own thrill ride at Dreamworld this year allowing guests to get behind the handlebars on a circuit that has to be seen to be believed. “I’m extremely proud to be associated with a great Australian icon working on a venture that celebrates and pays respect to a great Australian sport and its achievements,” Mick Doohan said. Mick Doohan’s Motocoaster features a fast, fluid track with breath taking changes in elevation, high speed corners and plenty of quick left handers. It’s a motorbike rollercoaster, the first of its kind in Australia and the only motocoaster in the world featuring life-size replicas of 500cc racing bikes. The news has created a real buzz in the motoracing industry with Honda already signing up as the first official sponsor. The bikes launch from the starting line and will reach speeds of just over 72 km per hour. The tight, 605 metre track is made up of 18 banks, bends and turns placing emphasis on last- gasp braking and plenty of open throttle. The track is built low to the ground to provide a great sensation of speed and movement and riders are held in by a unique restraint system that creates an incredible feeling of freedom and exhilaration. Each train is made up of 14 custom-made motorbikes and 2 aero-dynamically profiled, purpose built sidecars designed specifically for the pint-sized, thrill ride enthusiast or those looking for a more relaxed ride. Dreamworld and WhiteWater World Chief Executive Officer, Stephen Gregg said the new ride was designed to be a shared experience the whole family could enjoy. “We want to showcase Australian motorbike racing history and celebrate its victories, milestones and most importantly, its legends through theming, memorabilia and our Hall of Fame.” “This new attraction shows Dreamworld’s commitment to introducing cutting-edge ride technology and new experiences to the Australian market and will complement the park’s existing suite of scream machines including the Giant Drop, Tower of Terror, Cyclone Rollercoaster, Wipeout and The Claw,” he said. “Mick Doohan’s Motocoaster will be a great escape to adrenaline, fun, excitement and anticipation and will give riders a sense of accomplishment and freedom like never before.” “It underpins Dreamworld’s positioning as the ‘Australian theme park’ celebrating our unique Australian culture and its heroes,” Mr Gregg said. Mick Doohan’s Motocoaster will be located in River Town on the old Vintage Cars site, the Dreamworld classic relocated to make way for Dreamworld’s new multi million dollar, moto-monster. Get ready for hard acceleration as Dreamworld blasts further up the thrill ride ladder with Mick Doohan’s massive Motocoaster this September.

I have a theory and maybe I'm beginning to 'get' what Dreamworld has become: Every time they add a new ride, the existing area's themeing is ditched and something completely different is thrown into the mix right? - Well Dreams generally don't make sense either right? And today, neither does Dreamworld so I guess the technicolour vomit paint scheme of the place and irradic themeing fits the canvas perfectly?!?! hehe Seriously though, I really don't think DW's Management care too much for the importance of themeing. The average paying guest has little or no appreciation for it and for the most part, themeing is not the reason why they are visiting a place like Dreamworld - That's what Movieworld is for;) Anyway, this thread is not about slamming the Park (there have been plenty of those, but ...awe it's fun;0) I think it's terrific the park is getting a much needed family Coaster but having grown up with Dreamworld, I also think it's sad to see the place become more of a Fun Park than a Theme Park

“It underpins Dreamworld’s positioning as the ‘Australian theme park’ celebrating our unique Australian culture and its heroes,” Mr Gregg said.
Someone needs to inform Mr Gregg that there is more to Australian culture than just sport. Seriously, if every attraction Dreamworld builds now is going to be sports related I think I will vomit. I'd like to see them think outside the square next time... regardless of how much of a sports fanatic Stephen Gregg is

Hey Richard great update!! I think even though you make the point that it will not be such a visuial type of ride, it still will look impressive when there is a running coaster on it and the area doesn't look like a rubbish tip! :rolleyes: Beside from that I am very happy with this thrill/family ride. It really shows that even though it might not go over 100km/ph or even 200km/ph, it still looks like a a re-ridable, fun and I think unique coaster to watch and go on. And even though Dreamworld's themeing on this ride has not all been shown yet, hold ya horses alright! Relax, and lets see what Dreamworld dishes up first before everybody starts having a go at Dreamworld. However, there is NO, and I repeat, NO excuse for why Dreamworld has painted Main Street with rainbow colours + the Captain Stuart boat ride!!!! YUK!! :angry: Apart from that I'm fine :D !

Edited by Coaster Boy 8

Yes of course, let's all wait until dreamworld dishes up their attempts at theming before we criticise.... THEN we can criticise. Having just returned from Dreamworld last week, and having seen the Claw for the first time up close since I rode on it opening weekend - its great to see the level of upkeep dreamworld have given to their previous rides when they decide to build a new one...

Someone needs to inform Mr Gregg that there is more to Australian culture than just sport. Seriously, if every attraction Dreamworld builds now is going to be sports related I think I will vomit.
I've got no problems with tastefully executed sports-themed attractions. I do have an issue with suggesting motorsport is in any way a major part of life in Australia. I honestly don't think it comes much more American than motor racing and it certainly doesn't appear anywhere prominently on quantified surveys of Australian sporting interests. Perhaps the most ironic part to me is that between Wiggles World and now the Motocoaster, Dreamworld has lost perhaps its most iconically Australian area. Theme parks in this country didn't come more Aussie than Dreamworld a decade ago.

I've got no problems with tastefully executed sports-themed attractions. I do have an issue with suggesting motorsport is in any way a major part of life in Australia. I honestly don't think it comes much more American than motor racing and it certainly doesn't appear anywhere prominently on quantified surveys of Australian sporting interests. Perhaps the most ironic part to me is that between Wiggles World and now the Motocoaster, Dreamworld has lost perhaps its most iconically Australian area. Theme parks in this country didn't come more Aussie than Dreamworld a decade ago.
Everything in that post was spot on. I don't think that I've ever watched a motor sport event for more than 5 or ten minutes. It's not very Australian at all. And I also strongly agree with what you said about how DW has lost their most uniquely Australian area. Rivertown and Gold Rush Country provide the most iconic Australian atmosphere IMO. I wonder how long it will be before Gold Rush starts to vanish like Rivertown.

Perhaps the most ironic part to me is that between Wiggles World and now the Motocoaster, Dreamworld has lost perhaps its most iconically Australian area
Though then again, Model-T cars and big white rear driven paddle boats aren't exactly Australian either, but I can see where you are coming from. Gum tree gully (now that's going way back) was probably more Australian. As for motorsport related stuff, really something to do with Mt Panorama would be the closest you could get, but I cant imagine a ride being able to fulfil that theme well, or that that sort of theme is any good anyway.