The Off Topic Topic

11 hours ago, downunder196 said:

Skyplex Orlando got approved for I Drive. I for one am really excited to see this thing get built, will definitely visit one day.

Yeah, just heard about that. Sounds like Universal were the only ones objecting (apparently they wanted the land for themselves, or didn't want the competition, but just said it would "be an eyesore" or something).

I like Universal but my respect for them has just dropped.

Will definitely be visiting the Skyplex next time I'm in Florida (providing it's open of course). And, just to make you happy Universal, it will not impact on the time I spend visiting you.

I wonder if the Skyplex will be open at night...

For anyone whose business would be impacted by the construction - i don't blame them for raising objections - even if they weren't of much substance.

My wife works for a developer who builds large residential estates - they frequently receive objections regarding their developments - but most of them aren't enough to sway the decision makers, and they are frequently petty things of NIMBY class.

Of course you're not going to say 'i'm afraid of the competition it will bring' so you try to come up with something that shows you aren't concerned about number 1, and are trying to show it's for the good of the community. it will be quite a monstrosity - but i'm sure most people would just look at it and go 'wow'.

Well it seems Universal has just bought 500 acres of land nearby, with rumours swirling about a new park and a resort-type area, so chances are they just didn't want to deal with Skyplex, yet another - admittedly minor - competitor.

Note - this is minor in that any custom lost to them will probably be within a few million dollars, for a company that makes billion dollar investments.

So yeah, either way I can understand Universal getting in a strop, though I'd have preferred it if they were more honest about their reasons. I take it they'll have a long, hard think about how their new property is going to impact the locals and whether the community wants it or not.

(though chances are the locals will welcome it, as they mostly seemed to welcome Skyplex - more business, more jobs, more investment)

11 hours ago, AlexB said:

My wife works for a developer who builds large residential estates - they frequently receive objections regarding their developments - but most of them aren't enough to sway the decision makers, and they are frequently petty things of NIMBY class.

Out of curiosity, has any non-tower residential block ever been rejected? As in say a block of <20 units. Just curious as the developments across from us received around 20-30 valid objections. Valid due to the parking issues already present in the street and the design of the new blocks not having enough car spaces for all the units. The proposal was still allowed to go ahead. 

From what she tells me - every council they deal with NOW makes the developers put in "lots of visitors parking" - she doesn't know the percentage off the top of her head - but currently, with GCCC, BCC, Logan, MBRC, Redlands - they all are a mandatory requirement...

Or are you referring to resident parking? 

In that case - the requirements are that every unit must have at least one car garage space, and in the case of townhouses, each driveway needs to accommodate a further vehicle (although some longer vehicles might not fit, because the driveways are quite short)...

Not sure on 'unit blocks' (as in like - 6-7 in a row) - they've done one such complex recently, but it already had a DA on it when they bought it so didn't have to go through the requirements again...

How long ago was this complex that you're referring to built?

Well if you paid more attention to my photos you'd see it's still under construction :P

Looks like I may have been mistaken though, 16 Units, 21 car spaces (incl visitors). The other one has 4 units and 5 spaces + 1 visitor space. I also find it hilarious that this one has a 1.25mX1.27m balcony.

On 2 December 2015 at 7:50 PM, rac2703 said:

Megafactories on channel one is an episode on building roller coasters right now (AEST), for anyone interested.  

I'm a while behind, but I'm only just sitting down to watch it now. It's actually pretty interesting to see the process, although a part of me wishes to see what the process would be like on a coaster that isn't an "Off the shelf" design.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Nah they just had the workers jump out of the way each time a train came past. It was that reason they slowed the loading procedure down and never sped it back up again. 

Ok thanks wow i am surprised they didnt shut the cyclone during the construction it would be better if they did close it so operations wouldnt be affected. It would be so annoying as a worker consistently jumping out of the way of a Cyclone train coming past.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

On 27 December 2015 at 0:21 PM, XxMrYoshixX said:

Ok thanks wow i am surprised they didnt shut the cyclone during the construction it would be better if they did close it so operations wouldnt be affected. It would be so annoying as a worker consistently jumping out of the way of a Cyclone train coming past.

What, every 15 minutes? :P

Just watched this really interesting doco/biography on Walt Disney.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/585310275753/walt-disney

I've seen some other disney doco's about Walt before. But I really enjoyed this one, as I found it to be an unbiased view of Disney's struggles and triumphs. The 1st part focuses on his earlier life as an animator, and It's VERY detailed. Lots of old photographic and video content of Walt and his family during different stages of his career/life. Part 2 airs on the 3/1/16 on SBS HD - I'm guessing disneyland/world will be covered then. Definitely worth the watch if your a Disney fan, or interested in Walt.

Hey guys, what are the VRTP like atm? The usual chaotic school holiday crowds? Or, if events at other venues of late are anything to go by, a bit quieter than usual? 

A little strapped for cash atm after Xmas and NYE, was thinking of taking the kids since its free entertainment, but don't want to be battling through crowds or waiting hours for rides.  

Any input from anyone who has visited in past few days would be great. Cheers ??

21 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

Hey guys, what are the VRTP like atm? The usual chaotic school holiday crowds? Or, if events at other venues of late are anything to go by, a bit quieter than usual? 

A little strapped for cash atm after Xmas and NYE, was thinking of taking the kids since its free entertainment, but don't want to be battling through crowds or waiting hours for rides.  

Any input from anyone who has visited in past few days would be great. Cheers ??

I went on NYE the queue lines were pretty much like what you see at a Sunday session

GL was around 25 mins

Superman was 15 mins 

Arkham was also 15 mins

didnt check on the other rides

I'd recommend getting there at opening, we went on new years day for a couple of hours, and got on a few rides fairly quickly - Superman, Batwing, Wild West.  Didn't bother with Scooby, as the queue was too long.  Green Lantern was about 15 minutes.  Justice League was only 5-10 minutes.  Didn't see the kids area or Arkham.  

• rappa locked this topic