The Off Topic Topic

I think this is beside the 'upgrades' booth where they sell outback tickets and such. That's the reason why its in the corner... and it has been there a while, although the rides list is new.

I don't think its possible for them to have live attraction wait times on there with the current set up - its kind of just a slideshow, but it wouldn't be hard to integrate a live wait time system - the only issue then is because it is where it is, it wouldn't be very useful.

The park has had wait time boards in the past, and clearly technology exists in other parks. I'd like to see them do something like that, simply because the parks attractions are so spread out.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 8:09 AM, AlexB said:

The park has had wait time boards in the past, and clearly technology exists in other parks. I'd like to see them do something like that, simply because the parks attractions are so spread out.

It would be nice to have wait boards in the park. Helps you also sort out how to want to approach the day. The technology wouldn't be that hard to execute. That evil park VRTP owned in Sydney had a wait time system of sorts on screens. But I won't hold my breath. The last time they offered something with whizz-bang technology they ley us down with Scooby.

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

First POV from soft opening of Jurassic World at Universal Studios

Looks great, the original JP ride was on of my favourites, but looking forward to giving this is a crack next year 

That looks so good, rode the original at universal studios Japan, love what they have done with this one

Edited by Ash
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 8:51 PM, Ash said:

That looks so good, rode the original at universal studios Japan, love what they have done with this one

Going to have to disagree with you.

It's a case of "remove all the animatronics, and replace them with screens"

"but what do we do with all these leftover animatronics?"

"just shove it in the final scene".

• The 'water tank' doesn't fit it's surroundings. They give the impression that the Mosasaurus is swimming 'under' you. While the effect is well done, and the imagery is very realistic, the scene prior to and after it just don't blend.
  • In the previous incarnation, the story was a 'tour' of the park, and the intention was to visit the Hadrosaur enclosure, through a 'fake' portal, but a crashed boat, flashing lights and warning announcements sent you to a 'back alley' past the Velociraptors. In the new version, the pretence of the hadrosaur enclosure is gone (but the Hadrosaur out front remains) and the 'predator' path is presented as the intended path. The first thing you see is the Velociraptor cage from Jurassic PARK, which doesn't exist in Jurassic WORLD as the enclosure in JW is very different.
  • The Indominus gates are right beside the Trex gates, despite them being nowhere near each other in the movie, and the gates for indominus are bent, as if they were forced open, but they're bent the wrong way.
  • The next section, a scene of gas tanks, and the car falling down the cliff in the previous iteration is replaced with... well... nothing? A whole lotta blank, made up for by 3 flat screens. This is a huge practical set, and we've blanked the walls and everything else in favour of watching TV?
  • You then enter the Trex enclosure, and immediately go up hill... because ride. There are TVs everywhere in this 'evacuation' because every park in the world ensures they have video uplinks to their evacuation areas, which are of course monitored and featuring our favourite Universal celebrities (i'm surprised they didn't find a way to slip Jimmy Fallon in there), and the 'endless tunnel' with the psych out drop is replaced with... well... nothing. Oh, wait - there's a raptor in there... but its the same, just with added sparks.
  • Now we have dilophasaurus, indominus, and a bunch of stuff going on (why?) followed by Rex coming out of the waterfall (again) except this time he comes out well before you're at the edge, and the scare you get when he's right on top of you is replaced by 'oh, there's a t-rex over there' and of course his programmed movements are pretty well over by the time you get to the precipice.
  • Splash.

In summary, I hate what they have done with this one, and ask - why is universal ruining everything just for the sake of new ip, video screens and celebrity appearances?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, themagician said:

I don’t think it’s a downgrade, and has some really good qualities, but still could’ve been a lot better. The placement and order of things for me are a bit off, the story lacks some elements and there are definitely some dead spaces throughout it 

Were those issues also present before the refurbishment then? If not, it's a downgrade!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I've never been on the old one or this one, but if I had I'd hate this one too.

In fact, it sounds like they've done a similar job with it to what Movie World has with Scooby! 

Gotta agree with Push here (for the first time in forever). 

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

From the description by AlexB I'd have to agree that it's very much a downgrade. Like I said, I've never been on so only have this thread to go by.

Unfortunately it seems as though the water flows slower in Jurassic World, so they don’t stay in sync for long, but this should help with comparisons.

worth noting - I’ve seen several videos of the new version now, and I don’t think the boat is supposed to stop in the final room - nor is it supposed to show the TREX twice, but you get the idea...

• Like 1

• rappa locked this topic