Green Lantern Coaster

joz

I agree with Gogo. It's becoming too irrelevant to the topic in hand. Seriously folks, you need to get over it. Taking a look at that video of the ride testing (why is there 1 minute of nothing before the actual ride testing vision starts? Am I missing something?) The ride itself is looking great! The first thing I thought when I saw the trim on the drop was "if only that was a holding brake like Oblivion". (null)

Agreed. "People attacking people" discussion has been moved to This is an exciting period for our parks so let's try to stick to the topic as best we can. As GoGoBoy said you all have valid points but if you wish to continue the discussion, please do so in the designated topic or better yet, PM the member(s) you have an issue with. The trims on the first drop work really well. It's great that S&S have figured out a way to use the trims as an added element to the coaster rather than purely a necessity to keep the speed/G's down.

This thread has more topics split out of than any other I reckon. When work settles down I fully intend to remove all the "coasters are bad and movieworld sux!!!" into there own topic as well. Won't happen over night but it will happen :) Anyway, does anyone else think GL looks fast as? Was expecting it to be much slower, but very glad to be wrong :D

Anyway, does anyone else think GL looks fast as? Was expecting it to be much slower, but very glad to be wrong :D

It definitely looks faster than I thought it would be. When operating fully though I guess it would come down to the ride ops keeping the ride loading and unloading quick. If they didn't, the trains would stack and would lose their pace in the block brakes.

I think the video was captured during a "stress test" of sorts for GL, much like how Xcelerator was launched at crazy speeds during it's testing period. I'd be very surprised if the ride actually runs trimless... The reverse bank turn and first inversion would be a lot better slower IMO, particularly with lap bars.

But with GL i'm guessing S&S's design intent is to slow the car right down just before the drop....to give it a 'Shiekra hanging sensation'. So the car will reduce it's speed because of the incline, hit the trims, crawl through them......and then drop.

yessss! my prediction was right :P *punches air* . I completely agree with you Flea, they have turned those notorious trims into something special. Well done s&s. I wonder how much involvement MW had with all the little changes on this coaster, because they seemed to have picked out all the negatives and turn them into positives. Yep...looks faster than the other El Loco's, which is fantastic news. Less trims will mean more airtime over the hill before the 2nd block brakes, and stronger forces overall. I think the only element that would benefit from slow speeds would be the twist and dive; more hang-time. Edited by Luke

Here's another video by the same user, this time the car abruptly stops on the second set of brakes.

Just looking at these videos a little more, so long as operations are tight I think a trimless cycle could work and be quite fun. I'm going back on what I said above but the outward bank turn at those speeds will be something special... from what I've read that element is the best part on an El Loco, and the existing models take the turn at a crawling pace -- on GL it will feel like you're being flung out of the car. Also with 7 cars and the relatively short track I'm thinking that there will be a dual load/unload station similar to Scooby. Edited by Flea

hey all just letting you know i have uploaded a new green lantern testing video from today 3 december from a different angle link

link will be live soon as upload is done also you can see the station which looks at the moment to be like shockwave at dreamworld which is disappointing but we will all wait and see what happens over the next two weeks Edited by RussellSmulders

Thanks for the vid Russell; decent quality as well :) From this angle you can see that the outermost seats on the cars seem to hang off the track. I think the sensation of having no track immediately below you, especailly in the front row, will be quite intimidating. Probably be the best seats on this coaster. front row, left or right outermost seat here I come ;)

Edited by Luke

Seriously what's the go with all the white canvas awnings everywhere?? It's almost like GC businesses have struck a deal with the manufacturing company, literally covering the Coast in the things! I thought it hilarious watching the 1st (and for me last) episiode of Tera-nova and low and behold, white plastic awnings are featured... Is nothing safe from these things?? Functional? yes. Cheap looking? ABSOLUTELY!

Sorry, what I mean is that the roof of the GL station is not fabric/membrane like main street, its a solid material which is dense foam in the middle, with aluminium or steel sheeting either side (Hence being called a "sandwich panel") You use them in places where you want a big span of reasonably lightweight roof without intermediate supporting structures. stacks_image_74_1.png

Edited by Gazza