Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

I was there today and the place was actually quite quiet. For about the first 45 mins after opening the queue was about 10 mins max. I only had to wait about 5 as I was a single rider. Later in the day up until 3pm the queue was around 20 mins long which is quite light if you compare it to Movie World standards. After 3 it clouded over and was 5 mins tops without skipping (Got a ton of rides in there). This is a bit off topic but at about 4pm they sent the Sea Viper up for 3 unmanned tests which might mean they're opening it tomorrow? There was no work happening on the coaster today anyway. I also noticed on storm that you didn't stop at the dump scene before the station today so the first 2 rows barely got wet from that thing. They were running the ride with 5 staff excluding the entry person so queues were moving quite fast. Luckily the ride didn't break down or have a stoppage at all today.

Edited by nitromefans

I was there today and the place was actually quite quiet. For about the first 45 mins after opening the queue was about 10 mins max. I only had to wait about 5 as I was a single rider. Later in the day up until 3pm the queue was around 20 mins long which is quite light if you compare it to Movie World standards. After 3 it clouded over and was 5 mins tops without skipping (Got a ton of rides in there). This is a bit off topic but at about 4pm they sent the Sea Viper up for 3 unmanned tests which might mean they're opening tomorrow? There was no work happening on the coaster today anyway. I also noticed that you didn't stop at the dump scene before the station today so the first 2 rows barely got wet from that thing. They were running the ride with 5 staff excluding the entry person so queues were moving quite fast. Luckily the ride didn't break down or have a stoppage at all today.

Are the fire effects working yet?

No, they probably won't be for a while though as they need to lay a gas pipeline because the old one to the Bermuda got demolished a few years back. Anyways putting down the pipeline would require the huge pool of water in the building to be drained. In my opinion the fire will probably get going after Storm's first session of downtime for scheduled maintenance.

No, they probably won't be for a while though as they need to lay a gas pipeline because the old one to the Bermuda got demolished a few years back. Anyways putting down the pipeline would require the huge pool of water in the building to be drained. In my opinion the fire will probably get going after Storm's first session of downtime for scheduled maintenance.

How do you figure?

Pipelines can be run under water... (Langeled Pipeline runs from Norway to the UK, just over 1000km long) so I don't think they're going to need to drain it. They may also run a pipeline across the roof, rather than along the floor.

The Bermuda pipeline was cut off when Jet Rescue was built due to its location.

Anyhow - i'm sure they're going to want to put the fire effects in as quickly as possible, and while they may wait until after the first peak season, they may also install it before the 'official' opening - which could potentially be Boxing Day, meaning they've got 2 weeks to get it in.

If they had planned fire effects then surely the necessary pipeline would already be in place?? It does not make sense to want to install an important effect that would cause major disruption to the ride AFTER the fact. That is just silly on so many levels! Like AlexB said, I expect the fire effects will come online in the next couple of weeks- and its certainly not being delayed because of the need to lay a pipe!!! :o

The equipment is already in place...You can see the gas pipe coming up on the left where the plaform with barrels is and the first water explosion. In addition to what will be fireball effects, suspended from the roof are a couple of sets of gas radiators which i guess will give you that feeling of heat beating down on your forehead (Sorta similar to the heat generators in the final explosion scene on Justice League).

commercial-ceramic-infrared-gas-heaters-wall-ceiling-mounted-73452-1743363.jpg

I'm guessing it might just require testing and fine tuning during park closed hours.

post-88-0-76630000-1386680055_thumb.jpg

No, they probably won't be for a while though as they need to lay a gas pipeline because the old one to the Bermuda got demolished a few years back.

They would have built any new pipelines as part of the overall construction works (You know, that period of a year or so when they were doing lots of digging and concreting)

...I mean, they would have installed several kilometers of water, air and electrical lines as part of the project, yet you seem to suggest the contractors wouldn't install gas lines at the same time...WTF?

Edited by Gazza

Based on absolutely nothing.... Just another poster sprouting opinion or guess as fact.... and nitro - this is not personal at all - just seems to be a lot of that lately. this forums breeds it.

kinda back on topic -

Have asked Santa for a pass for Christmas so I am hoping to get to the park in the new year. Kinda weird question - the VIP pass in its current form is only available til the 15th of December. Does anyone know (read know - not guess) what the plans will be for VIP pass after the 15th. Does anyone remember what they did with the VIP pass following White Christmas last year?

I went on the storm today and thought it was a really good addition to the park. I personally thought it was better than the Bermuda Triangle. Even though it was no where near as long, it had more of a thrill and may be more appealing to guests. The fire effects weren't working again and the boat didn't stop so we got an extra soaking. I thought the theming outside and in was really good. I didn't think it was bad that they had the gravel. You don't notice it when on the ride or in the queue line because of all of the boats and cars. Getting onto the ride was quick (One of the staff members said there is 30 seconds between each boat leaving). I liked how on your exit you could watch the boats coming in, so that you could get an extra soaking. What I didn't really like was how after the splash down you could see the loading bay. Also on your exit you can see the wrecked ship again. I think there should be a wall, so that you can't see the end of the ride after the splash down and so you can't see the effects again when your exiting the ride, but still don't block the view of the boats coming in. Thats just my opinion. I will definitely go back early next year once all effects are working.

I'm surprised to hear this feedback. Most of the people that have ridden it so far have said there are plenty of effects, even without the fire.

what effects? all you see inside is a few bits of scenery and a pipe that sprays water on you and that's it BT had 5x more effects! if i was designing this i would have:

1. put huge fans in with a fog machine and let it blow all around you.

2. have mini waves brush up against the boat each time splashing the sides

3. have a hidden waterfall than dumps water down on you that you can't see. could have it hidden by the fog and by the time you see it it's too late your soaked.

the inside the way it is now is greatly dissapointing. i'm sorry i need more than just lights and scenery around the boat...

Edited by bladex

I'm pretty sure it's smoke because it lingers for quite some time. They're positioned just as you re-enter the building.

Also Gdalby how long were the queues today? Yesterday they were just backing up to the last set of light removing flaps which equated to just over 20 mins. They were dispatching approximately every 45 Seconds.

Edited by nitromefans

What I didn't really like was how after the splash down you could see the loading bay. Also on your exit you can see the wrecked ship again. I think there should be a wall, so that you can't see the end of the ride after the splash down and so you can't see the effects again when your exiting the ride, but still don't block the view of the boats coming in. Thats just my opinion.

And I completely agree with your opinion. It breaks all the rules of dark rides to have the whole ride completely open and able to be viewed by people not on the ride. Seeing the 'show' repeat for each boat/vehicle ruins the magic. It should all be sectioned off. Quite strange

There's also water explosions on Storm.

Edit: Gdalby, Was Sea Viper running today?

No it wasn't. They did test runs about 8 times

I'm pretty sure it's smoke because it lingers for quite some time. They're positioned just as you re-enter the building.

Also Gdalby how long were the queues today? Yesterday they were just backing up to the last set of light removing flaps which equated to just over 20 mins. They were dispatching approximately every 45 Seconds.

Well it didn't open until 12 because there were problems. I was queued back to the 4th plastic fridge things and I was waiting for about 15 minutes.

Aren't there steam jets too?

There are. I saw one just to the left side of the splash down enterance. All of this smoke comes out of the building and goes over the queue line.