Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

first water coaster in the country it means that this ride will have extra problems that need to be fixed.

I mean both of them, but I didn't realise that technicians from Mack were on site. It's just a misunderstanding.

It still doesn't make any sense the way it reads. What your post was saying is that because this is the first WC here that it's going to have extra problems not faced in other parts of the world (according to your post above in reply to AlexB). Why would that be correct? Why would a coaster in Australia magically develop faults that they don't experience overseas just because it's the first of its kind in Australia?

The part about a new attraction having teething problems is correct, but not what you've typed originally.

It still doesn't make any sense the way it reads. What your post was saying is that because this is the first WC here that it's going to have extra problems not faced in other parts of the world (according to your post above in reply to AlexB). Why would that be correct? Why would a coaster in Australia magically develop faults that they don't experience overseas just because it's the first of its kind in Australia?

The part about a new attraction having teething problems is correct, but not what you've typed originally.

Your right. I'm not saying that because it's in Australia it will have more problems. I simply wrote it wrong. I'm just saying it's the first of its kind in australia. I don't know why I wrote the second part of that sentence.

I mean both of them, but I didn't realise that technicians from Mack were on site. It's just a misunderstanding.

Fair call - i guess thats why I just didn't get what you were saying - For clarity and future reference, all large scale investments in rides are usually overseen by the manufacturer. In every case, the manufacturer sends a team of people down to implement it, test it and get the systems working - it's part of the package.

It's not like buying a TV unit at IKEA or a lego set at K-mart and then getting it home and trying to interpret instructions printed in 17 different languages by a a guy who only speaks one...

The parks don't buy the coaster in a box, and put it together based on an instruction booklet - the programming, PLCs, testing etc are part of the contract. The manufacturer is generally responsible for delivering a working, functioning attraction - and until it's up and running without a glitch or fault - the manufacturer is generally required to fix it.

Australia is a new climate for these coasters AFAIK, they're built for cooler climates. Not that that would cause many problems. It's likely that they have to configure a few things, make sure that different loads works etc.

WATER coasters are built for cooler climates?

WTF is California... Arctic?

Well, as far as you're concerned, you're wrong.

Storm is the 6th Water Coaster in the world built by Mack Rides. The first, in Sea World Orlando opened 15 years ago.

Orlando's average temperatures range between 10-25 degrees in the winter and 25-35 in the summer.

The other four are:

• Germany - Europa Park (2000) 10-25 degrees in summer
  • San Diego - Sea World (2004) 22-32 degrees in summer
  • Portugal - Aquashow (2006) 19-29 degrees in summer
  • Denmark - Djurs Sommerland (2011) 15-25 in summer

Compared to the gold coast - 20-29 degrees in summer and 7-21 in winter.

*Note: all temperatures are AVERAGE temperatures - of course there are hotter days here, but naturally there would be hotter days elsewhere too.

Orlando has hotter average summers than we do, as does San Diego, both of which have (almost) been operating for more than a decade each.

WTF is California... Arctic?

Well, as far as you're concerned, you're wrong.

Storm is the 6th Water Coaster in the world built by Mack Rides. The first, in Sea World Orlando opened 15 years ago.

Orlando's average temperatures range between 10-25 degrees in the winter and 25-35 in the summer.

The other four are:

• Germany - Europa Park (2000) 10-25 degrees in summer
  • San Diego - Sea World (2004) 22-32 degrees in summer
  • Portugal - Aquashow (2006) 19-29 degrees in summer
  • Denmark - Djurs Sommerland (2011) 15-25 in summer

Compared to the gold coast - 20-29 degrees in summer and 7-21 in winter.

*Note: all temperatures are AVERAGE temperatures - of course there are hotter days here, but naturally there would be hotter days elsewhere too.

Orlando has hotter average summers than we do, as does San Diego, both of which have (almost) been operating for more than a decade each.

Yeah... that was a bit of a stupid statement on my behalf... Completely forgot about the ones in America, and immediately assumed that they're being used mainly in Europe, but again, never realised the temperature fluctuated that much.

I actually didn't realise there are only 6 in the world... there you go.

I too was surprised when I checked my facts Rappa - the count is soon to be 7 with one being built in China (Ocean Kingdom, Guangdong). Interestingly - Ocean Kingdom is a brand new park to open in April next year. RCDB lists three coasters on the lineup due to open when the park does - A Mack water coaster, a Mack SuperSplash, and a B&M custom Wingrider.

Other than Mack, RCDB lists E&F Miler Industries as a water coaster manufacturer - there are 3 of them in existence all within the continental USA... which is less like a coaster, and more like a flume with a dry section. Let's just be thankful we didn't get that one!!!

Only other watercoaster manufacturer I can think of is Intamin. They've only made one so far - DiVertical at Mirabilandia, Italy - which I had the pleasure of riding in October and must say is a surprisingly good ride and a serious step up from Mack's watercoasters. Then again it is also much larger and more expensive than Mack's. I'll be interested to see if they make a more compact model available in the future though, in which case they could seriously challenge Mack for that market.

Yeah I saw a few 'coasters' that had a 'splashdown' rather than a flume element, so I didn't really pay much attention to them.

I managed to get down there sunday at around 9:15, and with the aid of a little known secret, managed to be first in line for storm's opening ride.

I am impressed with the theming elements, and the splashdown (as well as the 'soak zone') is wonderfully done. The concept that you're inside an upturned ship is a little lost in there though.

Those I was with were disappointed at the length of the ride. I realise the space limitations they were working with but I just wish it'd been a little longer. Atlantis at San Diego was (obviously) a fair bit longer and while I wasn't expecting anything that big - I hadn't realised the experience would be this short.

That said, It is just what the park needed - a way to get absolutely soakingly drenched on a hot day. I don't know if there will be a winter setting though... unless they lower the water level for less of a plunge...? (not sure if that would be possible). Now all they need to do is open up the soak zone to general guests, so you can get soaked without having to line up... maybe pull the 'loose items' cast members back to the black rubber curtains?

Lastly - I found the 'OTS' seatbelts to be restrictive - they barely went high enough for my shoulder without a little crouching, which over the course of the ride was a bit uncomfortable.

So first ride, front seat, immediately re-queued for another ride in the back seat, and then a thorough soaking in the soak zone means this is now the number 2 way to cool off at Sea World - by far exceeding the offering of Viking, Battle Boats or the Water Park... What's number 1? Why - the animal encounters of course!

Got a couple of rides in yesterday - a few thoughts:

- the ride itself is a really good fit for the park - a decent family coaster that looks intense enough to your average punter but won't scare kids away.

- the theming looks great outside the ride, especially the churning water near the entrance. Inside the building is another matter - it just seems very empty. I agree with AlexB's assessment that the 'upturned ship' aesthetic is lost, is just seems like they put random crap all over the place. Not sure about the decision to paint one entire wall white either, that just seems to draw attention to the fact that there is a huge empty space.

- Viking's Revenge is now Coaster Supports: The Ride. Could do with some plants or something to help with the aesthetics

- I get that aircon isn't practical, but some fans or misters would be a wonderful addition to the queue.

- seatbelts are overkill for sure. Even the lapbar is kind of unnecessary, although I guess it stops people from standing up.

- the splashdown is fantastic. Get pretty wet in the middle seats and absolutely soaked at the back. Agree that it would be great to open the viewing area up to non-riders.

- ride ops were on their game, getting boats out about as quickly as could be expected. 20 minute wait for a brand new ride is pretty good.

- not related to Storm Coaster but has anyone ever seen Jet Rescue running two trains? Or is the second train just theming now?

- also unrelated - anyone else find it weird that Movie World goes all out for Christmas but Sea World does nothing at all?

- overall it's an excellent addition, Sea World is going from strength to strength and once they get the rest of the effects working this will be even more fun!

I agree Alex, the seatbelts are very uncomfortable. Not sure why they're needed really. Was there last Thursday, broke down just as we were at the front of the line. Lift hill evac took a very long time - people were up there for over an hour. It reopened a couple hours later, managed to get on the first boat out before it broke down again a few minutes later... Apparently the blocks are playing up - something about the system thinking a boat has not cleared a block so it stops it on the lift hill. This then requires an evac and full reset. I'm super impressed by the theming. The ride fits in a lot better than I thought it did - pictures don't do it justice. They did a real fantastic job with the queueline, splashdown and surrounding area. The ride itself is fun enough... Not amazingly thrilling but it serves as a good family ride. Wouldn't of minded a longer darkride section, pre or post splashdown, but with the space they had to work with they did a fantastic job.

I managed to get down there sunday at around 9:15, and with the aid of a little known secret, managed to be first in line for storm's opening ride.

I'm in GC from wednesday to saturday - do you mind sharing the details for this 'secret' as I can only go on the Saturday morning and I'm betting it will be packed. Surely letting this forum know won't lead to a dramatic influx of guests getting inside quickly.

Went on the Storm for the first time today and I do think that Bermuda was better. The ride was shorter than I thought. I went on it 2 times in a row it's a good ride but Superman Escape is still the best Gold Coast rollercoaster. With loose items you only need to hire a locker for bags. You are allowed to have things in your pocket but be warned that you WILL get wet! You can get even more wet at the viewing platform at the end of the ride.

My opinion on the ride length is that yes it isn't very long for a coaster ride, but sea world is not a huge theme park, which doesn't have a lot of land left. I think that the ride looks a lot better in the middle of the park, rather than in the car park. For the area of land available they have probably done the best they could. It would have been better if it had a longer water section. A longer build up to the coaster and a longer conclusion. But I suppose they can't really make the beginning longer and they can't make the conclusion longer as the boats can't make tight turns like Bermuda Triangle could. All I want them to do now is just put something in the middle of the building so you can't see the effects again after the ride and so you can't see the queue line after the splash down.

I've been thinking about this and while we all know they couldn't really make the ride bigger or longer, there is something they could do to improve the experience and extend the ride time a little...

If the theme is storm - then imagine this:

the flume section between the despatch station and lift hill is long enough for it to be segmented. The first section at the station is the dock where you board your coast guard vessel to escape the storm. If we divide that area from the next section (where we see the window with the video of the storm raging outside) with some doors (say - how Scooby or JL3D do), then the boat could enter the next block, the doors could close, and with the addition of some strobes and high powered fans, the prelude to the lift hill (hidden by another set of doors) could imply that, while we started in the eye of the storm, the storm has now come back full force, and things are about to get rough!

Of course - the doors would come with a set of blocks also, where the boat would be held (similar to how other flumes are held) for each scene prior to the doors opening. It would require some major reprogramming to the ride systems, so is likely not to be feasible until the ride comes due for a refurb.

At the very least, they could still install the fans and strobes, and just 'shield from view' those particular effects with a slightly longer wall than is there presently.

As for the argument that they used the location to its fullest and the ride couldn't possibly be longer with an immersive pre-coaster water section, remember that Mack lead the way when it comes to both elevator lifts and turntables. It's miraculous that they fit a standard model boxed in on all four sides and with relatively minimal modifications to the building, but the idea that there was no room for anything longer just isn't true. The ride is what it is for budget reasons, not space.

As for the argument that they used the location to its fullest and the ride couldn't possibly be longer with an immersive pre-coaster water section, remember that Mack lead the way when it comes to both elevator lifts and turntables. It's miraculous that they fit a standard model boxed in on all four sides and with relatively minimal modifications to the building, but the idea that there was no room for anything longer just isn't true. The ride is what it is for budget reasons, not space.

Which makes me even more surprised about the $20m price tag. Considering they went with the standard model, I would have expected the total cost would have been much less than attractions like Scooby or Wild West Falls. Although, I suppose if you consider inflation the costs might actually be closer?

not to mention it's not the stablest of land out there on the spit - most of the land it sits on has already been reclaimed. footings, shallow ground water - it's harder to build one of these things a stone's throw from sea water than it is to build it on a solid foundation...

Richard makes a very good point though - even though it wasn't really necessary at all - Journey to Atlantis at Sea World San Diego utilises the same style of vertical "tilt" lift that we see in Scooby Doo.

not to mention it's not the stablest of land out there on the spit - most of the land it sits on has already been reclaimed. footings, shallow ground water - it's harder to build one of these things a stone's throw from sea water than it is to build it on a solid foundation...

Richard makes a very good point though - even though it wasn't really necessary at all - Journey to Atlantis at Sea World San Diego utilises the same style of vertical "tilt" lift that we see in Scooby Doo.

I don't agree with this. You don’t know what is there unless you have carried out a soil test. Also it’s an assumption of yours that sand is unstable to build on. Where sand is a very stable material to build on because it is constant and has high load capacity. Soil is more of a problem if it is active like clay can be. I have had many engineers not wanting my work because the soil is too active. Water tables are not a problem.

Edited by skeetafly