MW Mini Driving School - Officially Confirmed

Brad2912

I very much doubt Speedy's will be going anywhere, just yet anyway... maybe in a few years. The park has actually spent quite a bit of money and love on this ride in the last few years from a paint job to the new taxi scheme (Mid 2012 this happened), to new batteries in the car to replace the ORIGINAL truck batteries from the early / mid 90's and a new remote system. I can pretty much guarantee that the cars for Mini Driving School will be new as they would be stupid to move these old cars to the new ride.

*FUN FACT - The Original Speedy Gonzales Tijuana Taxi's cars were actually sold to Pacific Fair (date unknown) to be used in the playground in the middle of the park. I'm not 100% if every single car was replaced but the majority are still in operation at Pacific Fair and have been in operation since 1991 in total.

I very much doubt Speedy's will be going anywhere, just yet anyway... maybe in a few years. The park has actually spent quite a bit of money and love on this ride in the last few years from a paint job to the new taxi scheme (Mid 2012 this happened), to new batteries in the car to replace the ORIGINAL truck batteries from the early / mid 90's and a new remote system.

Remote system, hm, sounds like a car immobiliser type thing, although its triggered manually to shut the power off. When I rode Speedy's back in '07, the attendant had some kind of transponder thing which had a bunch of buttons on it and a stick which could have been a makeshift aerial, push a button and at the end of the ride that shut down the car the operator selected, or started them when it was time to ride.

EDIT: And while we're on the subject of Speedy's, last original ride, does anyone know whether the ride was purchased from a manufacturer or an in-house job? I can't seem to find any technical info about it at all.

Edited by erikals

Fairly sure it's an in house job, the operations manual for that ride never mentioned any manufacturer at all whereas for the other rides (Taz Cars, Marvin, Sam Train, Tweety) it mentioned that it was built by Antonio Zamperla of Italy. That remote with the giant aerial was the most amazing thing ever until mid 2012 when they replaced it. If a kid wasn't able to reach the pedal you could use the giant aerial to hit the pedal down and help them steer haha!

The new remote that they have is much more reliable and even has a button that could shut down all the cars at once. I remember how excited the operations staff were when that button was able to be used. Sadly I don't think speedy's will be going just yet, for some reason the park seems intent on keeping that ride kicking no matter how frustrating it can be on the staff. Should have heard the groans from the Scooby Doo green room each morning when people looked at the WBK roster to find they had the dreaded "smiley face" shift which was Taz Cars > Sam Train > Speedy's (known to be the 3 worst rides to operate in the park)

Should have heard the groans from the Scooby Doo green room each morning when people looked at the WBK roster to find they had the dreaded "smiley face" shift which was Taz Cars > Sam Train > Speedy's (known to be the 3 worst rides to operate in the park)

sounds awful. I'd hate to be on the 'smiley face' shift... especially with the stroller brigade lined up outside Taz Cars or Sam Train... or Speedy's... that last one i'd probably be able to stand about an hour of...

But back on topic as far as the new ride is concerned - would the new Mini Cars track be the same width as Speedy's Taxis track or would they double it up and put two tracks side by side for a two-lane road?

Was at Movie World yesterday, Staff training/testing is happening. So funny to see all the ride ops driving in these tiny cars. They aren't as big as i thought. I reckon a week or 2 till it opens

Speaking of the cars, are they about the same size or larger than the Speedy's Taxis cars? And you're probably right, it might open in time for the September school holidays - then MW management will see whether the ride was a good idea or not. I'm thinking that it may have huge line-ups in the first few weeks then the line-ups will slowly dwindle.

Just my 2c.

Movie World have posted the first image of Junior Driving School on FB. This is what they said:

Get your little one out of the backseat and into the driver’s seat as they learn to drive on the streets of the all new kids-size version of Warner Bros. Movie World! After completing their training, they'll even get their very own Movie World Junior Driving School souvenir driving license!

post-29557-0-54528300-1409730250_thumb.p

I'd Say they are smaller. They are more low profile to the ground but are probably a bit shorter length and width. Just going from what i saw when staff where testing on monday

I have seen the cars if you didn't know back in July when the ride was in its early progress.. Did you see if the cars were still red?

Surely any MW employee can't make comment on the attraction until it's launched/released to the public.

Having said that you can clearly see the cars are bigger than Speedy's cars from outside the ride.

I wouldn't think that someone saying "yes they're bigger", "no, they're smaller" or "they're the same size" would be breaking any confidentiality agreements given they're on view to the public as it is. Had I asked a few months ago before the ride was visible, sure I'd agree with you, but this is hardly top secret info.

Movie World's site was updated with a section for the Junior Driving School

IzKn2Uk.png

Hey kids! Why wait to get your P plate? Get out of the backseat and into the driver’s seat as you learn to drive on the streets of the all new kids-size version of Warner Bros. Movie World. Our youngest guests will learn all about driving & seat belt safety on their very own Main Street driving course. After successful completion of their training our littlest guests have the opportunity to take home a lasting memento and obtain their very own Movie World Junior Driving School souvenir driving license!

Warner Bros. Movie World’s Junior Driving School is coming soon!

I don't think they're the same cars from the early photo. They have a nice Mini Cooper look, which I like. Next thing to figure out is whether we'll be able to ride.

Edited by Zanstabar