Movie World speculation and dreaming - 2015 edition

Brad2912

Apart from at Halloween when Movie World has Fright Night mazes, I don't think any of the Gold Coast parks has a single walk through.

Well - Zombie Evilution converts to and from a walk through... and pretty soon Dreamworld will also have the BiP Maze - which is kind of a walk-through... We also had Dinosaur Island at Sea World, and soon to be Creatures of the Deep.

There's a reason why walk-through attractions aren't usually in our parks... except for the occasional event-style attraction like Fright Nights or Tomb Raider etc... and thats because capacity sucks, and staff costs are high.

These sorts of issues, when presented to imagineers, become amazing attractions with huge capacity - like Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion - both of which were originally slated to be a walk-through.

Our parks need high-capacity attractions capable of almost continuous loading (omni-mover type system). What we don't need is another large-footprint, low capacity attraction taking up valuable real estate in parks that are fairly limited in which directions they can expand.

Call me crazy but most walk through attractions suck. Things like animal exhibits are fine but scare attractions or walk throughs like Matrix Exhibat or Harry Potter attractions from ages ago were ordinary at best, and I've not seen many better ones overseas.

One thing I would love to see at Movie World though is a museum of some sort, perhaps placed above the emporium or in some of that unused retail space at the end of Main Street. Nothing for a specific film, just a somewhat classy display of different costumes and props used from big movies, even better if they were filmed in the studios. But a full scale walk through outside of Halloween I think is unneeded.

I agree with you Joz. Just a small exhibit, maybe based around the Australian Academy of Cinema & Television Arts, showcasing some props would be a welcomed addition to the park.

A year-round haunt, on the other hand, would be a no from me. An exhibit would work as a small, relaxing attraction for when you want to cool off, where as a maze would have terrible operations, staffing would be a pain, and take up valuable space in an already land-locked park.

And The Simpsons Downunder worked so well at Fox Studios. Isn't a Dr Who ride already in development in the UK?

I have been to the Doctor Who experience in the UK. It's basically a walk through, but there is a small section that is sort of nearly a ride component when you're in the tardis console area and following a brief video message form the doctor, it moves. It only moves a bit, but various lighting and sound effects create the illusion that it's moving a lot (through space and time)!

It was absolutely awesome and contained several other great effects which I won't write about here as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't been yet.

Call me crazy but most walk through attractions suck. Things like animal exhibits are fine but scare attractions or walk throughs like Matrix Exhibat or Harry Potter attractions from ages ago were ordinary at best, and I've not seen many better ones overseas.

One thing I would love to see at Movie World though is a museum of some sort, perhaps placed above the emporium or in some of that unused retail space at the end of Main Street. Nothing for a specific film, just a somewhat classy display of different costumes and props used from big movies, even better if they were filmed in the studios. But a full scale walk through outside of Halloween I think is unneeded.

Have you been to the 3 walk throughs in Surfers Paradise (Infinity, Draculas Haunted House, and Ripleys Believe it or not)?

What about Professor Bogglesworths Illusionarium at Aussie World?

These are all walk through attractions. Whilst I can see the point some are making about capacity, I certainly don't think any of them are boring!

Infinity is good, Ripley's is more a novelty museum than a walk through, and I've heard enough mediocre reports from Dracs that I'm not really keen. I also did the 'Space Walker' attraction that disappointed tourists in surfers for a year or two. Yes I've done walk throughs and they're mostly crap. If they weren't Fox Studios would still be around. If Movie World were to add a permanent one though, I hope they'd use the space behind the toilet block in Western Town, between the walkway to Wild West and the show stage. Surprising amount of room in there if they cleared out the clutter for a modest attraction.

Might be off topic, but Infinity was good the first time I went through it back when it opened, but the last time I did (a few months ago) I admit I was disappointed with it. Has lost its appeal these days, especially after multiple visits over the years accompanying other first timers.

One thing I noticed is that need for fire alarms in the mirror rooms has ruined the effect for some of them (hard to believe that the floor goes on endlessly under you when you can see the red light of the fire alarms flashing away underneath on the real mirrored floor lol) and then it just goes from being a great optical illusion walkthrough to a creepy 'fun'house where you spend most of your time fumbling around in pitch black, just trying to find the exit doors.

Something like that just scares the crap out of small children and claustrophobic people lol.

I probably also would have appreciated it more if I wasn't forking out through the teeth for it. Cost nearly $60 just for me and my daughter to go through it together! At least when I went through the first time, it was free through the radio station I used to work for lol. So I didn't care so much about value for money then.

A walk through would be good at the theme parks, so long as a lot of thought is put into it's design and it's something you can enjoy more than once, plus appeal to all ages.

Edited by OceanGirl

See if you're going to bring Mad Max into the park, surely the best way to do it would be in the form of a Stunt Show to take over the current incarnation of HSD. Given the good reviews the film is getting, and the fact that it appears as though it will be a financial success spawning sequels, it seems like a perfect fit.

Edited by joz

I can't think of a better attraction for Movie World than a storyline based Mad Max show bringing back actual human stunts. It's a concept that is simply perfect for a HSD replacement... or even something in the unused Western arena given HSD doesn't seem to be going anywhere, though the necessary fire and pyrotechnics for this theme may be harder in this venue.

But for some reason I feel that the powers that be instead would instead decide that this iconic Australian franchise would be better put to use in a tacky once-a-day Main Street lipsynced/choreographed dance-fight show...

Yeh seen mad max fury road twice now, watching it the second time last night you could see a lot of Potential off converting the storyline in to a type of stunt show/simulator ride, like the old batman ride.

Has there ever been any other rides based on the mad max movies around the world?

Edited by Jakev8

Disneyland, the greatest theme park in the world is pretty much built around and all about 'outdated' films and shows.

Funnily enough, way back in the day there was concept art for a mad max roller coaster when the park first opened.

I've actually always thought something like a Vekoma Mad house themed really well as a major attraction (like Hex at Alton) into the western area, probably using the show stage building.

Edited by djrappa

As cool as I think a Mad Max Stunt Show would be, with the current themeing surrounding the stages, it would be quite a jarring change. One second you're just on Main Street, next you're in the middle of apocalyptic Australia.

Personally, I would prefer a coaster almost like an adult version of Jet Rescue or Maverick at Cedar Point to carry the Mad Max name, but that's my own personal preference.

As cool as I think a Mad Max Stunt Show would be, with the current themeing surrounding the stages, it would be quite a jarring change. One second you're just on Main Street, next you're in the middle of apocalyptic Australia.

Personally, I would prefer a coaster almost like an adult version of Jet Rescue or Maverick at Cedar Point to carry the Mad Max name, but that's my own personal preference.

That's the whole idea of theme parks though - one minute you're walking down Main Street USA, and then past the Jungle Drums of the Tiki Room, or through the gates of a fantasyland castle into a world of make-believe.

It's a 'movie' park. Universal makes a lot off it's facades - take a back lot tour - marvel at how streets of 1990s New York quickly transform one street over into the crisp green lawns of 1955 Hill Valley

Disneyland, the greatest theme park in the world is pretty much built around and all about 'outdated' films and shows.

The difference being that the attraction can easily stand on it's own without the backstory of the film. I don't know many people who have seen Song of the South - but Splash's storyline isn't reliant on it - it can tell the story on it's own (because it has the budget to do so).

The only attraction at the park that I don't believe can stand on it's own without prior knowledge of the film is Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin...

I do think you're being a bit broad with 'pretty much built around'... unless you're referring to Mickey & Friends... most attractions in the park are stand-alone themes... some of which have developed into their own films...

It can Jacob - the point we are discussing is an attraction that IS themed to a filmstory, where that filmstory isn't as current as it probably should be to warrant a ride in a theme park.

If you read everything in context, my statement as you've quoted above was responding to DjRappa who observed the many story tie-ins at Disneyland of 'outdated' films.

What i'm saying is - if you're going to use a theme drawn from something that isn't current, it has got to be able to stand on it's own - sure it'll be awesome for people who know the story as they'll see little 'easter eggs' as they remember from the film or the book - but for those who don't know the prior story, they'll leave scratching their heads a little if they don't understand part of what just went on.

By all means - go with a generic story that doesn't need prior knowledge, or use the theme you want to use but in that case you need to include the story in the ride or the queue so that people understand what story it is the attraction is trying to tell.

Bottom line is I don't believe Movie World would be capable of pulling off such a feat - especially (as we're discussing) something like the classic Wizard of Oz tale - they simply don't have the budget to be able to pull off an immersive story of the land of Oz without leaving some people wondering what the hell it was all about.

And yes - whilst there are modern adaptations - Oz the great and powerful, Wicked etc - which theme can WB use?

The classic Judy Garland style is owned by WB and therefore would probably be accessible to VR, whereas the technicolour monstrosity that is Otg&p is a Disney property - which means they wouldn't be able to use the modern style that people are more familiar with. Wicked is currently being made into a film by Universal, so they have the film rights. Of course - it doesn't mean the park can't go with a more generic playscript version of the attraction - but then the benefits of recognisable imagery as most people know from the stage film version will be useless as they can't use that imagery.

Yes, Mad Max would be a great theme for the stunt show, or as a ride with that interacts with the theme (as opposed to just slapping the name on a coaster and throwing in a few props).

I think they're due for a decent thrill ride, if they're going to do something indoors, perhaps a Flight of Fear style coaster. Or outdoors, a mini hyper with a narrow footprint going along the front.

I honestly think people are more familiar with the original. Besides, even if an attraction were to be built under the Oz theme, which we all highly doubt, I don't think it would require too much backstory or become particularly convoluted because with all of the modern interpretations (of which Wicked is more prevalent than Oz the Great and powerful) a large proportion of people would already know it.

Moving on, having just seen Fury Road, the film has solidified the point that a Mad Max attraction/show would work wonders.

Just wondering, what is the group consensus on a Mad Max attraction. Are most of us on the Stunt Show side? Or the Attraction side?

Personally, I'm on the attraction side. What I would prefer is to have the first-hand experience of feeling what it's like to be in the film's universe. Whether it's a coaster, a dark ride or a flat, feeling as if you're in the Special Pursuit, hurtling over sand dunes and caverns would be much more exciting and thrilling to me than watching a live-action version of the films. Don't get me wrong, I think stunt shows are exciting and amazing but for Mad Max, I want to be in the driver's seat, not watching from the safety of the stadium.

Either way would be a win, honestly. You either get a kick-arse attraction or a much-needed replacement for the stunt show.

Apparently *something* new is on the way for the stunt show, according to the theme park social network FB page.... I'm guessing the revised version of stunt driver 2, given it's the same cars in the photo.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Figure 7 with a couple of circles around the thing in the middle by the looks. Looks like the stuff in the background has been thrown together to make the arena smaller. Looks crap to be honest.