Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

Hahaha yeah I'm slightly addicted. I love theme parks! You wouldn't think I work 30+ hour weeks in between, would you ??? I spend most of my days off at them. I admit Movieworld has grown on me again too, since renewing our VIP passes. 

Usually we tend to avoid the parks on weekends since they are fairly hectic (yesterday was no exception, 30-45 min waits for most rides, inc. the kiddy ones :/) but I had a friend and her family visiting from out of town, so we put our "bring a friend for free" passes to good use lol ;) 

We spotted the new activity on the Green Lantern from the car park on the way out. 

It's probably safe to assume that the causes of the incident have been determined -- from all the blurry photos and footage from the day of the incident it's reasonably clear that bolts have either worked loose or failed. I'm sure officials had the cause figured out very quickly.

Were it maintenance and nothing else I'd say we'd have seen the ride reopen by now. I'm inclined to think it's a design issue, which means there's a lengthy process of designing, testing and fabricating new parts  -- which could be as simple as replacement bolts, right up to completely rebuilt or brand new cars. Not to mention there's likely legal and insurance discussions taking place as blame/responsibility is assigned.

Edited by Richard

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW

Yeah I think it's safe to dismiss the rumours of them demolishing it! I believe there is enough evidence now to suggest they are in fact repairing it in prep for reopening... why else would they be buying new parts and doing test runs? ???

What I am trying to work out now though is if that cart the dummies are sitting in is one of the old original ones, or a new/modified one? Does it look any different to you guys? 

Logo on the front is missing the green part. Back wheel still looks grey. Wouldn't that just be fairly routine to replace the wheels every now and then anyway?

Also I can't be certain, but I think this changed. 

"The GREEN LANTERN Coaster is currently closed, re-opening date to be advised."

I thought it used to say something like "Closed until further notice"

Edited by reanimated35

Yeah nah, I thought the same thing and posted about it a couple of pages back, but someone said it has apparently always said that.

Logo on the front is missing the green part. Back wheel still looks grey. Wouldn't that just be fairly routine to replace the wheels every now and then anyway?

You say the logo on the front is missing the green part. Could it be possible that this detached and fell into the way of the wheels? Was it a separate plastic bit or something similar? Otherwise, why would that piece be missing other than being damaged in maintenance or something?

Scratch that. Looking through some earlier photos and it's still attached. Was just a thought :P

Edited by mba2012

Anything's "possible" we just have to wait for the report to come out. Maybe a bird flew past an threw a spanner at the wheel to stop it like they do in cartoons. 

I don't know why it wouldn't be there though. Maybe it was getting on in years and had to be replaced, maybe someone cracked it in the maintenance bay and took it off. Maybe it was never there to begin with?

The train in the picture you took has red wheels, which for some reason looked out of place. So I looked through some earlier photos and they must be new. This photo was taken in 2012 and the wheels are a grey colour, not red.

Coaster trains usually have a mix of Urethane and I think Nylon - they tend to look very different. I can't remember which is which (the Tatsu documentary explained it well) but basically one goes faster than the others, so they tend to use a mix of different materials on the trains to achieve the right speed \ force. 

I don't think Red Wheels are anything to go all crazy conspiracy theories though...

I don't know if this has been disused but I've driven past on multiple occasions at night and seen cranes at the ride and in one instance a car was stuck at the top of the drop(before the breaks over the drop). Seems they are doing test runs but running to problems. I was looking today and they have replaced the sensors that where ripped off the track in the accident and there is evidence of track works. Sorry for bad quality, Didnt have my camera

gl trackworks.PNG

gl trackworks2.PNG

Edited by lifeofsamage