Wanda Group to build theme park on Gold Coast?

DJKostya

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

Not really - its a rehashed version of the gold coast bulletin article previously shared (they even quote the bulletin on several key points) - there is no new information here - just expanded speculation.

The point I was trying to make is that there is another article about this park, nothing more. I certainly didn't make any claim that it was all new information regarding it.

7 hours ago, Slick said:

Everytime I see discussion about a new theme park in Australia...

They really should ban this kind of show from daytime TV - it probably lead to a huge spike in depression-related suicides. Just the intro made me wonder where the nearest length of rope was.

For all those thinking it could be "entirely" Jurassic-whatever themed, I very much doubt it. Even Harry Potter, with all his lands springing up all over the place, just has themed lands. Same with Star Wars. Disney didn't make "Mickey Mouse Land", instead coming up with different attractions themed to different Disney properties.

Jurassic Park / World *may* be a themed area in it, and the same could be said for virtually any other property (depending on what Wanda gets permission to use, and decides to build, if ever it comes along). It's as pointless speculating at this moment as it is about, say, a Star Trek area with a full-scale Enterprise to wander about in.

On 1/8/2016 at 0:25 PM, AlexB said:

I think you're onto something Joz. with all the war going on in the world, wouldn't it be cool to create animal-based soldiers to do our fighting for us? There's definitely some criminal intent in their motives.

Do you want ants or wasps? I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.......

• 1 month later...

It'd be very interesting to know what properties Wanda would have at the park. We know they've got a stake in Legendary which will give them access to at least some of their properties (hence the hype about Jurassic World, which they'd be silly not to use - providing Universal let them) but a lot of others, such as Batman, have been taken already by Movie World, or already have upcoming attractions (such as Kong, again being taken by Universal). As good as many people think Pacific Rim is (hey, I liked it), I think it'd be too "dark" (alongside Jurassic World" to be an area, unless they can do a 4D ride based on it (I think somewhere did that recently).

They are developing the Warcraft movie though, which I can imagine would be a big crowd draw and can be an actual area (alongside Jurassic World).

I can imagine the park being created like an Islands-of-Adventure park, with different areas themed to different actual properties (such as Jurassic World, Warcraft area, etc etc) rather than Disney which is mostly Western, Fantasy etc. It's just difficult to suss out what franchises they'd use, and the only way they can incorporate Disney (which, let's not forget, consists of Star Wars, Marvel, Avatar, and of course all the Disney/Pixar stuff itself) is to go full-on Disney and Disney only - Disney properties only exist in Disney parks, and nothing else exists in those parks (except for Marvel stuff at IoA, but that was down to Disney buying the properties after that area had been created).

Either way, I would anticipate this park to have a Jurassic World area (based off the movies - let's not forget, there are more coming and chances are they'll be out before or around the time the park opens) and a Warcraft area (I think I recall hearing there would be more Warcraft movies, probably a trilogy).

Rofl.. A Warcraft area. That is laughable.

that has absolutely no relevance to the general population, and is a niche game. You'd be better off with a bloody Angry Birds area *shudder*. At least most people have that on their phone..

i also don't see Universal letting a large rival (if this ends up being the billion dollar Development) use their property (JP/JW). 

I'd doubt that Universal would let Wanda get their hands on the JP/JW property too, but then I imagine it depends if Universal see Wanda in Australia as any sort of threat. The nearest parks Universal have are a pretty hefty plane ride away, and I guess I was going along with all the people who said "Wanda got shares in Universal - Jurassic World Park guaranteed!!!". Chances are Universal has their own plans, but it depends whether they let Wanda have a stab at it too.

As for Warcraft, I think the game itself is still quite popular... in China and Korea. Not so much in other places. I'm probably wrong about that. Have to see how the movie does.

All this does make me wonder whether Wanda will actually go all-out and build a Disney resort (providing they get the go-ahead from Disney). Disney have the properties, their parks lend themselves well to expansion on new films/characters etc. (for instance, try shoehorning Godzilla into Jurassic Park-land), and their rides tend to cater more for the kid-friendly market (whereas I think Dreamworld and Movie World seem to be a mix of family and thrill).

IMO the only way you will see them build anything related to Jurassic Park or the likes would be if they use the Universal Studios name, similar to what is done for the Disney parks in Japan. So it will be a Universal park but not run by Universal. Otherwise just because they now own legendary entertainment it doesn't mean they can use the films they make. Universal has the final say as it is their property. 

• 5 months later...

A bit of a bump here...

My dad was working with Wanda group on one of their current projects down in Sydney last week. Apparently he's heard talk of a theme park either on the Gold Coast or in Sydney, and the Jurassic Park theme seems to be very likely. That's all I've heard I'm not sure when he's going back down there but if he gives me any more info I'll tell you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A NEW coastal city, with scope for a Disney-sized theme park, education, housing, retail and commercial space has been proposed between Brisbane and the Gold Coast under a historic deal between the owners of 248 properties.

A parcel of sugarcane land more than 10 times the size of Surfers Paradise, bordered by the M1, Moreton Bay and two rivers, is on the market

A statement released by Canford Property, which is running the sales campaign, said agents had already spoken to “some of China’s largest developers and theme park operators who want to unseat Disney and develop one of world’s largest theme parks on the Gold Coast”.

One of China’s richest people Wang Jianlin has made no secret of his ambitions to take Disney’s worldwide theme park crown through his Wanda Group

In the Bulletin.   They are looking at 10 years before the planning will be approved.

Another 5 years for civil works.

This could end up being 20 years away.

If the Wanda group wanted to build a theme park here, would they wait 20 years?

Edited by YLFATEEKS