What is your favourite and worst ride of all time?

Have to say - Bush Beast, although it was "rough" it was nowhere near the "Please make it stop" phase after 19 years of operation - and it operated year round for many years... so I don't give weight to the argument that year-round operations and woodies don't mix. I think it's just the case of original design & build, climate, weather, and maintenance.

I'd say some but not all and there are numerous examples, especially in the united states.

I really think it comes down to level of maintenance, and the degree of difficulty is much increased with year round operation, especially in parks that have a lot of coasters and other rides to upkeep. The real challenge with Ghostrider will be are they going up the level of ongoing maintenance so it doesn't turn into a pile of crap again. 

Edited by downunder

58 minutes ago, Bailz said:

It hurts like hell.

I understand that criticism and it is certainly not the most comfortable ride but personally I have never found it to be any worse than that.

I hear more whinging from my family about the uncomfortableness of the Scooby Doo lapbar, but the only ride I find to hurt like hell is the Road Runner Rollercoaster after the sudden braking causes knees to crash into the front of the car. 

18 hours ago, AlexB said:

Have to say - Bush Beast, although it was "rough" it was nowhere near the "Please make it stop" phase after 19 years of operation - and it operated year round for many years... so I don't give weight to the argument that year-round operations and woodies don't mix. I think it's just the case of original design & build, climate, weather, and maintenance.

I must admit Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland rode pretty good for it's age. It was very nostalgic riding it but I never really realised how small Bush Beast was.

18 hours ago, downunder said:

I really think it comes down to level of maintenance, and the degree of difficulty is much increased with year round operation, especially in parks that have a lot of coasters and other rides to upkeep. The real challenge with Ghostrider will be are they going up the level of ongoing maintenance so it doesn't turn into a pile of crap again. 

Correct me if I am wrong but I remember in 2013 it was closed for a while getting work done on the track? I agree with Alex, I don't think it is year operations that make them bad. Roar at Discovery Kingdom was a fantastic ride, I rode it on its 2nd last day, so 19 years old and couldn't fault it. Spotted the RMC guys there as well.

Edited by mickey_079

10 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Yeah, I don't mind Motorcoaster either. At least it has something more to it than just being a roller-coaster. 

...like what?

You criticise all the coasters, including when a new one is announced (before you even know what it is) and yet the most pathetic and lacklustre coaster we have "has something more to it than just being a coaster" ???

Please tell us all what this magical ingredient is - it's neither dark, nor heavily themed, nor walkable, and it has one too many rails...

9 hours ago, Adam C said:

Favourite is Space Mountain 2 at DLP.  Megaphobia at Oakwod and Expedition Everest in Orlando are close 2nds.

Worst ride is Its a small world at any Disney Park.

SM will always be my favourite. 

I do however consider your views on Small World to be borderline blasphemy.

3 hours ago, mickey_079 said:

I must admit Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland rode pretty good for it's age. It was very nostalgic riding it but I never really realised how small Bush Beast was.

Correct me if I am wrong but I remember in 2013 it was closed for a while getting work done on the track? I agree with Alex, I don't think it is year operations that make them bad. Roar at Discovery Kingdom was a fantastic ride, I rode it on its 2nd last day, so 19 years old and couldn't fault it. Spotted the RMC guys there as well.

From what I've seen, they close Ghostrider for about a month around September in normal maintenance mode. I go to Knott's Haunt every year after it re-opens and it was always still horrible. If I recall correctly they closed Ghostrider in Sept last year (no getting beat up at Haunt) for a complete revamp by GCI and it's re-opening May 27 this year. 

I can't comment on Roar at Discovery Kingdom, haven't ridden it, though I should note SFDK isn't open every day (or thereabouts) of the year like Knotts or Busch, even in May it's only open Fri-Sun. And the RMC guys have certainly been there: turning Roar a steel coaster. 

I guess what I was trying to get at is how many big parks (i.e. their coasters are doing a lot of laps fairly constantly) with 365 days or thereabouts operations - how well have their wood coasters fared in the long run? My personal experience: Gwazi and Ghostrider, not so good. No other examples spring to mind personally straight away that fit that bill.     

15 minutes ago, downunder said:

And the RMC guys have certainly been there: turning Roar a steel coaster. 

* Hybrid. But yeah I'm fully aware. As I said I was there on its second last day of operation, which RMC was shooting what looked to be promotional footage.

It will be interesting to see if the work GCI does will improve the ride. Fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, bladex said:

you'd be spewing your guts out on the zipper than it's way way worse :lol:

Really?  I had no problems on the zipper but great difficulty on Pandamonium.  In saying that they have different forces so...  Different people handle different rides differently?

1 hour ago, mickey_079 said:

* Hybrid. But yeah I'm fully aware. As I said I was there on its second last day of operation, which RMC was shooting what looked to be promotional footage.

It will be interesting to see if the work GCI does will improve the ride. Fingers crossed.

Here's hoping, I'll be over in May, might even be there opening day - though I'm hoping there might be a soft open before May 27. I'm more curious about what they will do to keep the ride in shape, and what it will be like in 5-10 years. Because what they were doing in the past didn't work, and I've ridden Ghostrider when it was awesome like around 2001, and then by the next time I rode it in 2007 it was unspeakable.