Revised Dreamworld Map - no Rocky Hollow Log Ride

themagician

True me and the missus went there in february with a couple of mates of ours from melbourne, and cause before that visit it had been at least 4-5 years since we last hit DW, so i just automatically assumed that we still could't jump between the two parks, and she even asked if we could do WWW and i was like nah you need another pass to get in there hun, now fill like a total f***en dick.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RHLR listed as CLOSED on the Dreamworld website

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 5.17.55 pm.png

With Vikings and now the Log Ride gone, that leaves WWF as the only true flume left on the Gold Coast, and it and Storm the only water rides.

To me, this is a serious problem. Not only has the TRR incident deeply affected the theme park and flume target markets, who knows how long it will be before the public trust the parks enough for a new one to be constructed. This knee-jerk reaction has killed a few quality rides, and I can see it crippling SW (with only two family/thrills left) and possibly DW too. It leaves a big hole in the parks. These were quality family experiences, and they'll be sorely missed.

Edited by jake_hunt

Just in case anyone thinks the inclusion of Vintage Cars, Giant Drop etc. to Town Of Gold Rush is new, it isn't. The Town Of Gold Rush for quite some time has included Vintage Cars, Rocky Hollow Log Ride & Giant Drop despite the distance and clear disconnection of the rides from the original area.

Here's the old park map if anyone wants to see all the differences. There's quite a lot of changes that you wouldn't notice - one notable change that no one I think has mentioned is that the Ride Express virtual queueing system has disappeared from the park map despite the rides the system utilises still being listed on the park map (Ride Express is 'not currently available for sale' though). Also, I noticed the 'Big 9 Thrill Rides' branding disappeared from the park map too despite the rides still being listed on the park map. Is this a possible future permanent change in branding?

In good news, at least Eureka Mountain is still on the park map (but the external tracks have been enclosed)!

Regarding Rocky Hollow Log Ride, whilst it has disappeared from the park map, I wouldn't rule it out as been permanently closed yet. Unlike Viking's Revenge, Rocky Hollow Log Ride has no rides nearby making it difficult to replace. Maybe DW has then decided to give it a full replacement from a proper ride manufacturer & such a new look for the ride that warranted a temporary removal from the park map?

1 hour ago, Jakev8 said:

...to think maybe how much longer some of the ques will be with the other rides...

If that ends up being the case, at least it makes DW look even more busy & popular when the media are there.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

If DW really are closing the flume, I'd love to see them revamp the whole gold rush area with a completely new water ride that uses the land from both rocky hollow and TRRR with top notch theming (and perhaps a bigger drop). It's probably too much to hope for, but I'd really like to see something with the same quality as Universal's Jurassic Park water ride (the boat one at Hollywood/IoA, not the rapids). Dreamworld really are a fantastic park for families so I'm hoping this is just a temporarily omission as the removal of two of its largest family attractions is devastating.

From DWs comment I don't think that the log ride is closing, but as the area is closed off, probably for quite some tim, having the ride on the map would confuse people, so removing it for the summer holidays made sense. Also, just a thought, and I doubt it is, but is the log rides water system connected in any way to the one used for the river rapids?

Thinking like the media or general public, it's a separate park and different rides. 

Plus the distance helps with the apparent separation. 

Don't forget the image management people will be calling the shots, it's all about a positive reopening for the park. I'd suspect even the staff evening falls into that. 7 news hardly focussed on the incident tonight, it was more about the good things the park is doing. 

10 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

I'm going to assume that Trump has been getting some practice in and has built quite a few tall walls around the park while it's been closed. 

According to the Gold Coast Bulletin, it's a 2.4 metre high wall:

Despite its now-dry canyons and forever-still machinery being blocked from public view by a 2.4m wall, Thunder River is still there — in form and in spirit.

Also, DW CEO on Thunder River Rapids' future:

“Over time the ride will be removed, but we haven’t set a time for that to happen. At this stage we haven’t thought beyond the opening charity weekend and trading through Christmas and the holiday period. We will start to think more long-term after that. In the meantime, we will be focusing on other areas of the park.” he said.

Lastly, surely they could have just replaced the map?:

Scrubbed from the map in the park’s security station — strokes of angry black marker willing it to vanish — the Thunder River Rapids ride is the rogue elephant in Dreamworld’s room.

Just a thought of my own, but considering the TRRR (thunder river rapids ride) is closed and will be removed, and with the sudden removal of the log ride from the park map, could this be a chance for the park to do a MAJOR upgrade?

This area does not just include the two closed rides, but has been an area with a lot of closed or removed items in the park over the years.  The removal of the chair lift, the closure of the original water park section of Dreamworld, the death of the Eureka Mine ride, as well as the BB stage.  This takes up (as per google maps image) an area of almost half the size of the rest of the park.

What are the chances that this could be the ideal time for a major capital investment into the park to bring it up to the destination that we all want it to be....but as I said, just a thought.

dreamworld.jpg

Edited by thunder001

3 minutes ago, thunder001 said:

Just a thought of my own, but considering the TRRR (thunder river rapids ride) is closed and will be removed, and with the sudden removal of the log ride from the park map, could this be a chance for the park to do a MAJOR upgrade?

This area does not just include the two closed rides, but has been an area with a lot of closed or removed items in the park over the years.  The removal of the chair lift, the closure of the original water park section of Dreamworld, the death of the Eureka Mine ride, as well as the BB stage.  This takes up (as per google maps image) an area of almost half the size of the rest of the park.

What are the chances that this could be the ideal time for a major capital investment into the park to bring it up to the destination that we all want it to be....but as I said, just a thought.

dreamworld.jpg

Thunder we've been talking about this for a few weeks over three different threads. 

:D