Sky Voyager wins Master Builders Qld Award

Insight

Noticed Sky Voyager won a  masters builders award. Love the look or hate it, could the design become a must see on the GC 

Its like nothing else anywhere, may have been better suited as as stand alone. They have done well.

I think the product matches the facade and its under capitalised because of the opening delays.

Its a first class product on the exterior, judged by others. The Brodgent stand alone product have been massively successful.

Places over time become known for an image more than experience. 

Does the unique immersive product have more power than a big coaster out the front .

Its subjective, nice win to guys needing good news.

Edited by Slick

52 minutes ago, Insight said:

Noticed the Voyager won a  masters builders award. Love the look or hate it, could the design become a must see on the GC 

Its like nothing else anywhere, may have been better suited as as stand alone. They have done well.

I think the product matches the facade and its under capitalised because of the opening delays.

Its a first class product on the exterior, judged by others. The Brodgent stand alone product have been massively successful.

Places over time become known for an image more than experience. 

Does the unique immersive product have more power than a big coaster out the front .

Its subjective, nice win to guys needing good news.

Took me about 4 reads to understand exactly what is going on there, but i made it.

While Sky Voyager is certainly a fantastic and well needed attraction for the park, there’s no denying that coasters draw in the crowds. 

That being said, i do think Sky Voyager was the correct investment at the time, and now that they’re stepping forward with Steel Taipan, that’s the big coaster which will draw in the crowds. Here’s hoping to a much brighter future - it’s certainly starting to look that way 🤞🏻

Thanks, sorry i didn't make sense up front, Sky voyager is an expensive asset,. Losing TOT is a big iconic lose all be it 20 years old, Six flags Valencia took anything of value.

Im not sure about big steel sells any more, I do think virtual is gone, but family immersive such as Disney. They don t need big coasters

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't understand how this won an award though. I'm not trying to be negative or detract from the hard work of dozens of people, hell, I reckon it's the best ride in the park, and it's the best non-Disney flying theatre out there IMO, however:

• it was spectacularly delayed at a time that was pivotal to the park
  • there was rumours on this forum of structural issues
  • it destroyed the aesthetic of an entire precinct of the park
  • the facade's cladding was too thin and suffered damaged after the first storm of the season
  • it looks dull.

Again, my favourite ride at Dreamworld, but don't know how this won a builder's award.

Well that's it, its won an architectural award voted on my architects...

Doesn't speak anything to it's suitability or aesthetic for a theme park, which is why Disney employs Art Directors and not Architects to design things.

Similarly just ask a builder how they feel about architects and you'll see that the nice lines on paper don't equate to much in terms of if it's suitable to build, fit for purpose, etc etc. 

Doubt its winning and engineering or project management awards, but I guess as a stand alone building outside of it's theme park context its somewhat interesting. I still don't like those weirdly shaped glass stairwells but I'm also not a qualified architect so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.

...say architect again

• Like 1

While I am within that industry, I am in agreeance that architects shouldn’t be involved with attraction design. Stores and food outlets, yet. A local office design Penguin Encounter, which isn’t bad, but nothing amazing. They are also involved with Vortex, DC Rivals and Jet Rescue to just name a few. And none of them have an inspiring designs. SkyVoyager is the ambitious design we’ve seen, but it doesn’t necessarily pay off (which has been heavily discussed before).

I’ve got a couple friends who have worked on a few of these projects over the years and some definitely haven’t become what was originally hoped for. Whether it was budget, creative differences, licensing or original design ideas weren’t working, etc. 

• Like 1