Luna park 9 new rides construction

Coasterlife

On 11/05/2021 at 9:06 PM, 19Michael96 said:

I'll be quite frank here, how many times have we had this conversation about space come up repeatedly on this forum in the past decade? Yes there are very nice potential rides out there the park could get in the future, and yes space could be made to fit them somewhere, but I'll be honest: the location suggestions you have brought up many times here, I don't think are feasible aside from the amphitheatre steps, which is where I agree a future ride could be placed. But I don't think the grassed area above the car park entrance is strong enough to hold a ride, it would be a major hassle trying to install a proper entrance to the midway below so it's connected with the main park, and as I said a few years ago and this belief still stands, the Hair Raiser would not be a good fit next to the Rotor as it blocks the entrance to the loading dock and side gate and it would be too cramped. The only way you're gonna fit in more rides at the front of the park is if they get rid of the car park altogether and return the midway to how it used to be. And that's not gonna happen in a million years. 

You're going to be Frank? Why can't you just be Michael?? 😆

Seriously though, this topic has come up many times before and still keeps coming up because it is still a very relevant topic of conversation. I keep bringing up the same sites as they are literally the only sites left in the park that POSSIBLY could be utilised. I have never said they would be used. There is a massive difference.

Lets dig a little closer to my suggestions.

The amphitheatre in between the Ferris Wheel and the Crystal Palace- 

This is likely the only realistic spot for space utilsation for another ride. It would mean, as correctly pointed out by @Yyosh, the loss of a small seated area which serves the Helter Skelter Cafe. However, if this was filled in and the space used for another ride, then the seated area could be expanded from what it is currently. It would mean the loss of a large secondary entrance to the park from the boardwalk and also the small amphitheatre which the park did utilise as a small performance space. I am thinking that the park will retain this space for this purpose even though it is able to utilise this space under the amended Luna Park Act for permanent attractions.

The space next to the Rotor-

There is room next to the Rotor that is not utilised that COULD be used in some capacity for an attraction. As correctly pointed out, the area behind here is the parks loading and unloading dock but if this could be moved somewhere else , or access was given to another point, then definitely it could be used. Its interesting to note 2 points here. This space in the 1995 incarnation was home to the original position for the Tumblebug and the Luna park Shop- it was not a loading dock or drop off point. Things change and things could change again. This space is also permissable to be utilised as a permanent attraction space under the Luna park Act. Could it be used? Yes. Would it be used? In all reality, probably not but I must point out we are talking hypotheticals here.

The grassed area on top of the carpark-

This area is actualy quite large and could safely accomodate at least 3 or possibly more adult attractions. ( given what they have fit into Maloney's Corner and how well they have executed that, then its reasonable to assume that this could certainly be utilised.) There is the question of whether the rooftop could take the weight of rides. Lets consider that at the moment there is several tonnes of soil and grass that is sitting on top. This would not stay if they were to utilise this space as an expansion point- it would be removed. If the rooftop could accomodate safely this weight of soil and grass , then its easy to assume that it is suffciently engineered to take the weight of 3 rides if required. The same question was asked of the Tumblebug site when the question of a new coaster for Luna Park came up ( much like this topic- one that came up repeatedly😏). Now we are seeing the new Big Dipper being built on the exact same site. Would it surprise you that the park has already considered this location as a potential site for new attractions? Whilst they have not followed through on their initial investigations , it certainly has not been ruled out as something for the future. Yes the access back to the Midway is an issue, but I am confident that an access point and ramp of some description could be engineered to connect this space in a way that is sympathetic to the Midway and the surrounding ticketing building/carousel and Helter Skelter cafe. Lastly, once again, this space has been cleared for permanent attraction use by the updated Luna Park amended act and as such, is why the park would have had initial investigations on the use of the site. Now I am not saying that this WILL be used but COULD it be, in the grand scheme of things? Absolutely.

And honestly I don't see much issue with the new rides we're getting anyway. It's not like the kids rides we're getting are exclusively for kids like the old ones were; all ages can rides these ones too. I feel there's a real stigma going on; just because they're marketed as kids rides doesn't mean they should be held in lesser value than rides marketed towards higher age groups. And speaking as a 25 year old, some of these look to be rides that even I can enjoy. I have very low tolerance for thrill rides and high speeds and the only rides I can really enjoy atm are the carousel, ferris wheel, dodgems and the Coney Island attractions. So I'm pleased there's more stuff coming that looks to be in my wheelhouse, even if I'm not exactly the perfect demographic for them.

There is no real issue with the rides we are getting true. My opinion is that , however, we are one ride short for the overall family to ride as a unit- rides that both adults and children would ride together. I still believe that to be true- especially if they keep the Rock'N Tug. This is why I posted some ride examples of what Luna Park COULD add in their next expansion. The park has traditionally been populated by family rides that could be enjoyed by every family member- young or old. I feel that this balance is just a little out of whack for mine. In saying that I am not unhappy with how the park is progressing- I think the park is doing a tremendous job with the space they have and what they are installing. Its fantastic to see and I cannot wait to see its completion.

If you are a 25 year old who only rides the carousel, the dodgems and the Ferris wheel, then you are not the target audience that an amusement park would be looking at. You would be in the extreme minority. I get that you love the history of the place- as much as I do. I just happen to love thrill rides and coasters just as much and this is intrinsically what Luna Park is all about.

On 10/05/2021 at 7:07 PM, Yyosh said:

I do agree Luna Park has always been family oriented but a lot of the rides being introduced now are Kiddy Rides. I doubt many teenagers or younger adults would be keen on riding Cloud 9, Freaky Frog, Little Nipper, Silly Sub, Bug and Loopy Lighthouse. Looking at a satellite image from 1965, the 'family' rides such as the Dodgems, U-Drive, River Caves, etc. would still have been popular for the audience I mentioned above. I don't think there was a single ride designed for young children exclusively yet they would still be able to have a fulfilling day at the park.

100% Yyosh nailed it here ☝️

Really, beyond this current expansion for me, is if they level the amphitheatre steps, put in a walk through ride/attraction there ala Davy Jones Locker but make it scary cause I believe the park needs a good haunted attraction, and then find someway to bring the River caves back. I'd tell you how but this is one fantasy I do not wish to have ruined with logic and practicalities.

The park does need a dark ride of some description. I think there is a medium level chance of this happening sometime in the future. It may require some movement of rides ( particularly the Dodgems ) but it could be done. It will not happen for quite some time, however.

The River Caves return, is just pure fantasy, unfortunately. It would indeed be awesome if they could do it, but with the advent of the Big Top, the Deck and the other event locations within the park and the importance of these to the overall revenue stream, this will not see these removed for the space required to return the River Caves to the park.

As for your idea, I know that it entails expanding onto Lavender Green, and taking up more space from the adjoining railway sidings. Unfortunately, this will never occur. Firstly, it would take an act of parliament to gift this site back to Luna Park, amend the current Luna Park act and bring it into the overall site plan. From what we saw with Luna Park's attempt earler last year to utilise Lavender Green for semi permanent attractions and small rides, it elicited a strong dissension from the nearby residents, so strong that the DA was withdrawn. The railway sidings are planned to be in use for at least the next 7- 10 years at the earliest and there is a strong push for the railway site to be incorporated into a "High Walk" along its entire length- an idea which has garnered strong resident and local government support.

Your idea to expand here is a nice one but it is actually a total fantasy that is not based on anything coming into fruition. My thoughts around expansion at least have some grounding in reality and are based on what space IS currently available.

This is exactly what I brought up in a previous post of mine complaining about the location of the ride. If the Tug is going to be a permanent LPS ride now, then it needs to be placed in a more suitable spot that has good space surrounding it; not cramped in next to another ride who's queue fencing needed to be partially removed so people could walk past. And of course the ride should be refurbished to look permanent and fit in with the current park scenery.

Actually you only pointed out that it needs to go in a more suitable location. Whilst I 100% agree with you, I aactually pointed out that the current location that the Tug is situated in, is NOT permissable for a permanent ride site under the amended Luna Park site act. Thats a big difference. I do agree 100% though that if the Tug is to stay, then it needs a good refurb and retheme to bring it inline with all the other new attractions.

On 11/05/2021 at 12:24 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Ultimately, I feel if LPS is to be allowed to grow, I think there needs to be conversations about a boardwalk style expansion:

image.jpeg.4c4fa99b9fc4e0eb8f94b646d95ec8b5.jpeg

Naturally this would be met with large opposition from Lavender Bay residents and similar - however as it seems the park has the full support and backing of the NSW government, we shouldn't totally discount this as an option (although, nautical access to the sheltered bay should be maintained for the many moorings. An expansion into the mouth of the bay, perhaps with a partial sea-wall, might even benefit the moorings and provide more shelter from rough weather.

☝️This for mine is the only way we will ever see another huge expansion to Luna Park. If this were to occur, then the sky is the limit. There are many issues to overcome if this was to happen, but it is a great idea if it were ever to become a reality in some way.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

As anyone here been on a RMC Raptor? Would be interesting to compare to the Big Dipper!

I have i've been on RailBlazer at CGA. It's a great ride, very intense and packs a massive punch for such a small footprint. I'm looking forward to Big Dipper in the hope it will be just as intense. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

I have i've been on RailBlazer at CGA. It's a great ride, very intense and packs a massive punch for such a small footprint. I'm looking forward to Big Dipper in the hope it will be just as intense. 

Sweet!! The animation for BD shows it to be slower than RMC but we’ll see once it opens. 

@Jobe I understand you were being hypothetical, I just still maintain a large degree of scepticism about these locations apart from the amphitheatre steps, which I am 100% in support with you on that front. The Green space above the carpark I can POSSIBLY see something happening maybe, but it's the access below I'm having trouble envisioning, no matter how many times I've thought about it. If it wasn't an issue I would be in total agreement with you. And I personally don't think anything should be built next to the Rotor, even if the loading dock was relocated. I feel it would make the park look too cramped; I'd like to see some space between all the attractions. Only way I can see change happening here is if they move the Rotor to where the Hair Raiser is, the Hair raiser on the green space above the car park, relocate the loading dock and use the expanded space to put in that modern day equivalent of the Tumblebug you brought up; giant bug bridge and all.

And don't get me wrong, I never thought for a second you had issue with the rides were currently getting; I was speaking more in general broad terms in their defence. Sure I would absolutely love another family ride to balance things out, but the kids rides that older people can ride on too are a pretty good selection as well. I wish they could've gone with more creative names but that's a whole other matter.

To be honest, it really sucks how that my ride range is very limited. I've thought a few times about trying out the Wild Mouse or Volare but my anxiety is just too strong and I hate it. I love this park and yet I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff because of stupid goddamn issues I find hard to control. It's probably why I want the River Caves back, apart from being one of the iconic rides of old Luna Park, it's a very slow moving dark boat ride which fits the park perfectly. And having been on dark boat rides elsewhere, I have loved them and want to see one here again. I hate the fact that I missed out on the fun of that ride! The closest we've got at the moment is the Penguin Expedition ride at Sydney Aquarium, which is great but it's VERY short. And look I know my solutions for bringing back the River Caves are pretty much impossible, even if they just took a tiny section of the sidings and put greenery on top to make it blend in with the Lavender Green surroundings better, but I'll be damned this is one dream I'm not gonna give up on! Put it somewhere, anywhere; the dodgem space, hell even underground, I just want them back. And clearly Metro Edgely did too when they reopened the park. I would hope that sentiment is still the same.

21 hours ago, Jobe said:

Whilst I 100% agree with you, I actually pointed out that the current location that the Tug is situated in, is NOT permissable for a permanent ride site under the amended Luna Park site act. Thats a big difference.

I did point that out in another post of mine as well. I was just a bit more uncertain about it in my tone:

On 18/04/2021 at 9:03 PM, 19Michael96 said:

On top of that, I'm pretty sure having the ride in this spot is in violation of the park's very own conservation management plan. There's one section in the plan that determines where rides can be placed in the park; the spot I've circled is where Rockin' Tug approximately sits: 

382171203_ScreenShot2021-04-18at8_41_23pm.thumb.png.f3c6cb3f2b65111d18576a0fd366cca9.png

It appears the ride sits just outside of the permissible zone.

But at least we both agree it needs to be moved and redone if it's gonna be a permanent ride. Otherwise, the only way I see this ride remaining in its current state is if it's a seasonal ride LPS brings out every school holidays. And then keep it in storage during off-peak periods.

IDK, I love what the park is doing right now, but by good I hope this isn't the end of it. I'd love the rest of the place to be refreshed with consistent theming, more rides and a smart use of space that adds up to satisfying my OCD. :P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevin said:

As anyone here been on a RMC Raptor? Would be interesting to compare to the Big Dipper!

Going off the animated POV and stats, I don't think Big Dipper will be comparable in terms of pacing and intensity. It's slower and has less whip to its elements. Not necessarily a bad thing either; I think LPS are aiming for a ride that's strong enough to satiate enthusiasts yet still appeases the GP. Although Raptor-like madness would be amazing, it mightn't be the right fit. Hot Racers seem to target a different market; that's a good thing, and Big Dipper's layout looks strong nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Just now, Ranger said:

Ahh i'll quickly make a subscription!

Luna Park will reopen these holidays with nine new rides — but the park’s managing director has revealed they are struggling to find staff to run them.

Each of the nine new rides, including four roller-coasters, will be undergoing a routine safety check with test dummies before the opening.

“This will become the biggest refurbishment that Luna Park Sydney has ever done and it will be the largest number of new rides since it opened in 1935,” Peter Hearne said.

“What we’re doing now will put the park on the world stage.”

Included in the rides will be a new Big Dipper, a family-friendly Little Nipper coaster and an adults-only ride known as the Sledgehammer.

New rides are being added to Luna Park and they are currently in the testing phase. Picture: Jonathan Ng

New rides are being added to Luna Park and they are currently in the testing phase. Picture: Jonathan Ng

While delighted the famous grinning gateway was set to reopen on June 26, Mr Hearne said COVID-19 and lack of backpackers had made it difficult to fill vacant positions.

“We had our first recruitment drive last week and invited 410 applicants for interviews — only 161 people turned up,” he said.

“We need a minimum of 275 casual employees to get the Park ready for opening these school holidays.”

Jobs available at the amusement park include ride attendants, cleaning stewards and food and beverage positions such as chefs, waiters, kitchen hands and baristas.

But even its $30 million refurbishment — the biggest ever — and the extra rides were not enough to fix what has become a chronic shortage of people in the hospitality sector.

Peter Hearne said they are struggling to fill vacant positions at Luna Park. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Peter Hearne said they are struggling to fill vacant positions at Luna Park. Picture: Jonathan Ng

“It’s a common problem across our industry. Until we get a situation where the borders are reopened or we allow people back in the country, we’re going to continue to struggle,” Mr Hearne said.

“The worst case scenario is that we won’t trade for two days but we’re certain that we can fill those roles.”

Mr Hearne added the amusement park had also been caught up in the recent shipping traffic jam caused by the giant container vessel getting stuck in Egypt’s Suez Canal.

Some shipping containers which included their new ride structures were delayed due to the incident.

Luna Park is currently testing rides with dummies. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Luna Park is currently testing rides with dummies. Picture: Jonathan Ng

“If they hadn’t been on time, they may have well been thrown into the Suez Canal,” he said.

About 220,000 overseas workers left the labour market between December 2019 and March this year.

Employment Minister Stuart Robert said the government was launching a campaign to get every young person currently on Youth ­Allowance into a job by contacting each of the 122,000 recipients individually.

The public can start buying tickets and annual passes from Monday at lunaparksydney.com.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ranger said:

Thnx @Coasterlife. Wasn't expecting anyone to subscribe.

All good, I just hope i can cancel the subscription now 😂

6 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Also 4 coasters? There's only 3. 

Little Nipper, Big Dipper, Boomerang and Wild Mouse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coasterlife said:
1 hour ago, Ranger said:

Also 4 coasters? There's only 3. 

Little Nipper, Big Dipper, Boomerang and Wild Mouse!

I think he means new coasters; the article's wording makes out there are four new ones, so there is a small error unless the Herald Sun knows something we don't.